Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Oh shit! A new update?! I can barely contain my excitement!  (Read 3492 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay okay okay! so i just check back and see last weak or so a new update has come out.. is this the big one?!
Please somebody summarize the new features so I dont need to poor threw changelogs and such. Sell this new update to me like a salesman! Its more exciting when fans are hyping it for me.

I dont even care if I have to restart work on my huge scifi mod! I am pumped for a new update!

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh shit! A new update?! I can barely contain my excitement!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 02:28:08 am »

Did he implement that huge magic system they have been hyping forever?!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 02:40:21 am »

No magic yet. It'll come next arc, in about 2 years.

Main new features are artifact generation and tracking in worldgen, and ability to raid/pillage/raze other sites in fort mode, sometimes enticing them to send sieges in return. The civilization screen has been expanded to accommodate this -- instead of just a list of civilizations you have encountered, it has a map that you can look over. Razing, if successful, will turn the target site into a ruin, and pillaging will allow the dwarves you sent to bring back at most one item or animal per dwarf (both kinds of loot are toggleable in the mission menu.) You can also quest for specific artifacts in raids, and can encounter artifact questers in adventure mode (and become one yourself if you get a quest from your lord). You can steal artifacts in adventure mode as well.

Kobold caves have also been expanded. They now have many different rooms -- some have poisonous beasties such as giant cave spiders, others are covered with weapon traps coated in the poison from said beasties, as well as treasure rooms that can contain artifacts.

Modding-wise, [ANIMAL] tags in entity definitions have been implemented; basically allows you to give civilizations access to and control their usage of various animals that you specify. You can specify [ANIMAL] blocks using either race & caste or creature token. Example tags that you can specify for [ANIMAL] blocks are [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT] (civ always has access to animal regardless of biome restrictions) [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET] (the animal is always available for adoption) and [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_MOUNT] (animal is always available as a mount in sieges.) There are ALWAYS and NEVER versions of most animal tags.

That's basically it, so far.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 03:40:08 am »

Any other little changes? Like city layouts, the way houses look or generate? Still like 30 people stuffed into 1 house with no fernature or floor in every village?

Can you mount animals yet?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 03:41:21 am »

I don't know any off the top of my head, but there have been quite a few major bug fixes, such as that weapon trap crash bug.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 03:42:00 am »

I don't know any off the top of my head, but there have been quite a few major bug fixes, such as that weapon trap crash bug.

Can you mount animals yet? I want to go rampaging through a city on gorilla back.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 03:48:47 am »

Nope, not yet.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 03:50:24 am »

Can you mount animals yet? I want to go rampaging through a city on gorilla back.
The update is coming as a series of releases just like in the past. First release was in November. And, yeah, looking at the plans, gorilla mounting actually has a good chance of making it in. Looks like this release cycle will be a bit more ambitious than previous ones.

Then magic development starts, so still a couple of years before that hits.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:54:23 am by Shonai_Dweller »

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 03:59:43 am »

I dunno if they have varied genetics yet so i may have to re-do my genetic variety mod again.
I like maps with like 2 of each race, makes it easier to keep track of the histories and religions of the world. But unfortunatelly that means every member of the civilization will have the same hair and skin which.. i mean, i guess that makes sense? But i would like a wide veriety f heroes with red hair and black hair and blonde hair all together in one community.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 04:26:07 am »

In terms of modding the only changes have been to entity files?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 04:32:14 am »

In terms of modding the only changes have been to entity files?
Pretty much.

I forgot to mention you can now assume alternate identities in adventure mode, allowing you to go on murderous rampages with one of your identities and be a benevolent monster killer that defends the weak with the other.

There's also pedestals and display cases which can display items (not necessarily just artifacts.) And also the stock screen has been organized in alphabetical order and a little zoom-in window pops up when you are looking at any particular item in the stock screen.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 12:50:19 pm »

If you want to know what is "new" in this update, it helps to tell us the previous version you were playing - if you were running 0.44.07 before, then the latest release is nothing but a handful of bugfixes, but if the last version you played was 0.31.25, then there'd be a very long list of changes.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 01:42:51 pm »

I'm going to assume the last version you played was 43.05, in which case the new features are basically everything already outlined involving artifacts and secret identities. More new features are on the horizon for the next half-year before myth and magic development starts, including military improvements and villainous plots.

If we're lucky, we'll have our first magic release by the end of next year, but I would probably allow for another year or two beyond that given the usual complications of DF development.

So to sum things up, definitely an exciting time to be a DF fan.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:51:11 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 04:02:41 pm »

The guy tried so hard to provoke heated reactions and found only helpful responses. Really there are no internet communities like Bay12 forums.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 05:01:47 pm »

The guy tried so hard to provoke heated reactions and found only helpful responses. Really there are no internet communities like Bay12 forums.

The lack of heated reactions is probably because 44.01 was released 4 months ago already. There was a lot of excitement when it was just released, for certain. DizzyCrash just happened to notice the new release much later, so the hype wave reached them just now, I suppose.
Pages: [1] 2 3