Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Oh shit! A new update?! I can barely contain my excitement!  (Read 3500 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Oh shit! A new update?! I can barely contain my excitement!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 10:33:43 pm »

We'll throw a giant party here once Myth comes around in 2 years.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 08:49:09 pm »

The guy tried so hard to provoke heated reactions and found only helpful responses. Really there are no internet communities like Bay12 forums.

no, i'm somewhat familiar with OP here due to modding discussions, there was no intentional baiting going on

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 09:19:51 pm »

The guy tried so hard to provoke heated reactions and found only helpful responses. Really there are no internet communities like Bay12 forums.

no, i'm somewhat familiar with OP here due to modding discussions, there was no intentional baiting going on

Seriously? My sarcasm-meter must be broken then. Reading again it sounded just like a really eager player. My apologies.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 09:23:57 pm »

Seriously? My sarcasm-meter must be broken then. Reading again it sounded just like a really eager player. My apologies.

Don't try to beat Poe's Law, man. It's only going to backfire.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 10:03:50 am »

So, hey guys

I heard about Toady wanting to make a map rewrite for the next updates. This will allow for canyons to exist, as well as 3d mineral veins
But I don't really know what the objectives of that update is, and I think this kinda place is the best to talk about it, without opening a thread

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 12:14:38 pm »

if the last version you played was 0.31.25, then there'd be a very long list of changes.

Heh, last version I played was. 34. I've played ocassionaly since then but never managed to get past getting a tavern set up.
I'm loving the world activation, and libraries seem cool once I figure out how they're used... And pedestals are a thing now which is awesome.

My question is, would fps be worse on a medium world than a small? I've been playing small world's, but I'm use to large. Planning to try a multigenerational fort by setting the cap to like 60 dwarves.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 09:26:00 pm »

FPS is indeed worse on a medium world than a small.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 10:05:50 pm »

So, hey guys

I heard about Toady wanting to make a map rewrite for the next updates. This will allow for canyons to exist, as well as 3d mineral veins
But I don't really know what the objectives of that update is, and I think this kinda place is the best to talk about it, without opening a thread
The next big update will break saves for sure, so Toady's going to take the opportunity to make the underground better. 3D veins and canyons yeah, but also tracking of underground entities which is just completely broken right now. Also as part of mythgen (check the dev notes for the full details of the update) magical chunks of land will also exist so I think the underground needs to be reworked to work with those too.

Probably some other stuff (fotf updates are full of 'but that'll have to wait until the underground re-write' comments). The underground re-write isn't the main focus of the update, but that's when it'll happen.

Main details of update:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
(Scroll down to Creation Myths and Magic Systems).

(Won't start development for about 6 months yet and then probably take a year or two).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:10:36 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 10:11:34 pm »

My ETA for Myth is 1.5 to 2 years. It's not very long. Worst-case scenario, 3 years.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 10:15:34 pm »

My ETA for Myth is 1.5 to 2 years. It's not very long. Worst-case scenario, 3 years.
Seems about right from past Big Updates. Though, depends how many conferences and events Toady attends over the next few years, I guess. :)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 07:00:05 pm »

My ETA for Myth is 1.5 to 2 years. It's not very long.

You'll find that two years would actually make it the second longest update cycle in the game's history, after 0.40.01, and even then it loses by only a month.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:02:28 pm by Putnam »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 07:17:04 pm »

My ETA for Myth is 1.5 to 2 years. It's not very long.

You'll find that two years would actually make it the second longest update cycle in the game's history, after 0.40.01, and even then it loses by only a month.
He means in the grand context of two years isn't long to wait when there's an amazing (bug-filled, crash prone) mythgen release to look forward to at the end of it. Work, study, travel, play dwarf fortress, the time will fly by.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2018, 02:57:56 am »

Given the prototype we had a glance of... Oh i love the sound of all this, but I think it also largely depends on how long these hotfixes will go on (and they are great so either way it's cool)
let

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2018, 03:03:11 am »

Given the prototype we had a glance of... Oh i love the sound of all this, but I think it also largely depends on how long these hotfixes will go on (and they are great so either way it's cool)

Yeah, the worst case scenario on time right now is that Toady takes too long fixing things instead of making new things which is, like... oh no?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 04:27:07 am »

A few bugs that you have to actively try to get are fine enough. There is no need to fix everything.
Pages: 1 [2] 3