Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megabeast Ideas  (Read 1813 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Megabeast Ideas
« on: March 30, 2018, 12:05:27 pm »

Finally getting around to making the winning mod from this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168730

Anywho, I need ideas. I've got some beasts made, but I'm not sure what else to add... So I have turned to you all!

Now...

Let's hear those ideas!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Megabeast Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 06:41:58 pm »

They def need to be "Giant" in size so that if given POWER they would rule areas (if they choose or fit into that niche)

One possiblity would be an amphibious "Kraken" that is portrayed in Clash of Titans

Also a Lord of Shadow (or the Fallen) which can resemble Abbadon from Kings of Kohan 2
Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)

You could also dig up old Indian monsters like
Spoiler: look at this monster (click to show/hide)
there is also this
Spoiler: monster (click to show/hide)
which comes from this list: http://mentalfloss.com/article/12818/11-legendary-monsters-africa

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 05:57:30 pm »

You could make a giant(?) legendary suit of sentient hollow candy (or steel) armor. Something that was bewitched or cursed long ago or something like that. When it dies it could drop a random masterwork quality candy armor piece or weapon.

You could make an Ent megabeast that attacks on its own or perhaps tags along with the hippies.

Another idea is a sandman megabeast with a deadly dust which puts people to sleep and has freddy kruger like claws.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 08:58:11 am »

An acid-blooded monster with CE:COUGH_BLOOD could be interesting.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:37:03 am by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 07:09:32 am »

How about Behemoth, Leviathan, and Ziz? The great beasts of land, sea, and air from Jewish mythology, I think Behemoth and Leviathan are still debated as to what they were supposed to have looked like, many claiming that they were real-life animals like elephants and crocodiles, and I'm pretty sure that in modern media, Leviathan is often depicted as a tentacle-y boi for no reason other than it's interesting in a fight, so creative liberty all the way, but I'm pretty sure Ziz was supposed to be a giant gryphon-like creature large enough to blot out the sun with it's wings. So maybe make a giant roc with 2 extra legs? Could use that as a gauge for how big the other 2 should be too. I'm sure Wikipedia should let you know any 100% necessary body parts for those guys too, anything that's mentioned in the Torah, if you wanna go with as accurate of a depiction as possible.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 07:10:40 am »

I like it, along with the feathered serpent idea

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 08:47:24 pm »

Based in part on some of the above

Creatures: Ent (generic tree warriors of the forests, found in good forests; prone to rage to encourage violence to outsiders) Revenant Warrior (animated undead suit of rusted steel armor haunted by a spirit of a long-dead warrior; on death, leaves behind a masterwork steel weapon) Quetzal (giant feathered serpent, savage tropical lands, capable of sucking blood) Abomination (various conjoined monsters resembling humanoid torsos in various configurations, found in caves and evil lands.)

Semi-Megabeast: Thunderbird (smaller relative of Rocs, able to disorient an enemy with a deliberate flap of its wings to create a horrendously loud booming noise,) Dreamstalker (Mr. Sandman described above, though for balance, limit discharge to three times a season, to necessitate either numbers or distractions to fight it; sleep syndrome lasts a week.) Mountain King (yeti-like creature that dwells in mountains, can inflict a resistible freezing touch once per week that can potentially be fatal.) Wyvern (two-legged winged dragon, think Skyrim's dragons but able to breath skin-dissolving acid or fire) Bloodtusk Mammoth (inspired by Far Cry primal, a massive fuzzy elephant with four crimson tusks found in cold regions) Chimera (the smaller version of the Great Chimera, minus poison)

Megabeast: Anantesesha (gigantic serpent based upon SCP 3000, secretes and spits a gray fluid which makes affected enemies dizzy, nauseous, and tanks thier agility, to represent it using this fluid to mess with a victim's mind,) Elder Ent (A gargantuan Ent with hard-to-pierce bark skin, and sap that if exposed to, causes creatures to suffer from necrosis at the point of contact.) Grand Quetzal (A massive version of the common Quetzal capable of flight and speech and thus taking over civs; can breath fire as well as suck blood out of enemies that survive an initial bite; flame attack is limited to once per week to encourage it to make use of that damned bulk.) Behemoth (A massive bearlike beast with horns and reptile skin.) Leviathan (as a stand in for the Kraken, depiction in the second image Hugo offered up) Great Chimera (a gigantic griffon, with poisoned talons)

Melchizedek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 11:24:58 pm »

An evil, slow-moving blob-type creature protected by a layer of sponge. Contained beneath the sponge and the flesh is a perfectly normal humanoid skeleton. Its main attack would be through toxic gases it emits which cause paralysis and necrosis of the brain, allowing it to roll over and crush its victims.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 11:53:54 pm »

Tarrasque: A gigantic reptilian biped with two horns, dwarfs even giant elephants and capable of unprecedented death and destruction.
Grootslang: A massive serpent with elephantine features (it's the thing in Hugo's last pic).

Good ol' Lovecraft is also a great source of inspiration. Don't think I've yet seen Dagon made into a DF megabeast (basically a gigantic, vaguely-humanoid fish creature).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 07:33:42 pm »

Giant Gargoyle with breath attack and bonus tentacles

Ultimate stealth monster, with emitted smoke clouds that cause forgetfulness/blindness

Eyeless Ettin, viewrange 1

Bird Swarm, 200 birds, very hard to kill without area attack
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884