Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Yet Another Evolution Game [Blobs That Eat Sulphur]  (Read 8128 times)

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another Evolution Game [Blobs That Eat Sulphur]
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2018, 03:40:11 pm »

Long ago our cells were infected by viroids. At one point, by chance, their genome has been integrated into ours. Restriction enzymes we have evolved protect us from infection, but due to their insertion into the genome, our cells begin producing viroids at a low but steady rate. These are shed into the water around our colonies, serving a symbiotic role as they destroy bacteria and predators that get close.
I was going to suggest basically the same thing. History tells us that symbiotising your pathogens is a great life strategy!

(to clarify, +1)

+1
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2018, 04:19:10 pm »

Long ago our cells were infected by viroids. At one point, by chance, their genome has been integrated into ours. Restriction enzymes we have evolved protect us from infection, but due to their insertion into the genome, our cells begin producing viroids at a low but steady rate. These are shed into the water around our colonies, serving a symbiotic role as they destroy bacteria and predators that get close.
I was going to suggest basically the same thing. History tells us that symbiotising your pathogens is a great life strategy!

(to clarify, +1)

+1
+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2018, 02:52:35 am »

(to clarify, +1)

+1
+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2018, 05:09:33 pm »

I'll point out that all you did was produce some basic restriction enzymes. You stopped being infected because your improvements to the membrane stopped the viroids being able to infiltrate the cells in the first place. You couldn't use the viroids because they're not integrated into your genome. Besides, the bacteria you're facing have a roughly identical membrane structure, so they'd be invulnerable to the same viroids even if you had integrated them.
This. Also, just dumping our enzymes in the ocean isn't going to be very efficient.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2018, 02:42:09 am »

The tendrils that evolved to grow into the ground begin growing upwards too, to absorb some of the organic debris. The membranes on these tentacles grow sticky substances that grip nearby material and release digestive enzymes to break down and consume nearby organics. This mostly collects floating detritus but also occasionally floating critters and they get broken down and eaten as well.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2018, 03:42:22 pm »

bump
"zzz"

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2018, 05:39:03 pm »

The tendrils that evolved to grow into the ground begin growing upwards too, to absorb some of the organic debris. The membranes on these tentacles grow sticky substances that grip nearby material and release digestive enzymes to break down and consume nearby organics. This mostly collects floating detritus but also occasionally floating critters and they get broken down and eaten as well.
+1

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2018, 08:55:36 pm »

Hydrogen "sacks" are collected from the acidic waters, and colonies develop a period of time where they develop a far thicker cellular membrane and enter a hibernation state until they float to an applicable area; in this case it may be the surface or other viable spots where the colony can develop or spontaneously develop a prosperity too.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2018, 07:10:57 pm »

bump?
"zzz"

Tesnivy812

• Bay Watcher
  • Boss Hen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2018, 01:24:16 pm »

+1
+1
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:44:59 pm by Tesnivy812 »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2018, 07:06:30 am »

Sorry if I was wat killed this, it was unintentional.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]