Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Surviving Mars  (Read 6128 times)

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Surviving Mars
« on: March 31, 2018, 04:31:07 pm »

Anyone figure out a strategy for the Church of the New Ark yet? I'm having a devil of a time trying to figure it out.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving Mars
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 06:47:01 pm »

Is anyone else playing this?

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 07:29:55 pm »

I am, but can't help you with strategies for the Church at the moment (haven't tried a game with any of the hard sponsors yet).

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 07:52:49 pm »

Who are you playing as? I've done a few US games to learn. Any techs you think are essential? I usually research the Earth Mars initiative if its available.

For the Church I think you have to give up on any research out the gate, and focus solely on exporting. It's some of the only money you'll ever see.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 08:02:36 pm »

Actually upon checking the only reasonably 'complete' game I have was with the International Mars Mission so I don't think I'm going to be of much help. I suppose Explorer AI is also useful if you don't get any free research from your sponsor (such as with the Church of the New Ark)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 03:28:53 am »

What's the verdict on this game, btw? Worth it yet? Or more of a wait and see situation?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 08:05:48 am »

What's the verdict on this game, btw? Worth it yet? Or more of a wait and see situation?
It's a solid economy strategy game.  Is rare in that it has great replay-ability.  Most games of the same genre just have random maps, starting resource difficulty and random event frequency.  Surviving Mars's replay value comes from choosing your main sponsor (gives main difficulty with themed bonuses and maluses), choosing your commander (a set of bonuses), and the random event.

The random events are pretty good, for the genre.  They offer multiple choices as they progress.

I've had a ton of fun with the game and am probably going to enjoy playing for awhile.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 02:24:46 pm »

Boring. Artificial difficulty in the random tech availability. You'll end up starting much the same every game and that won't evolve much mid-game. Why would you ever play any mystery a second time? They are largely the same each playthrough with little exception. At least one of them has a choice at one stage that yields the exact same result. Exact. Click A or Click B and get result C.

There's a lot of hours here because "fast" speed is not fast enough. You'll see the mysteries. Then you'll be done. Forever. Or until an expansion releases. Or you get bored.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 02:27:41 pm by BigD145 »

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 06:31:56 pm »

The random tech tree is annoying

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 12:51:58 am »

The random tech tree is annoying

It's the dev's piss poor attempt at encouraging replayability.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 05:22:29 am »

my biggest issue with this game is that there is no win situation.  its also fairly easy once one has figured out how the game works but requires a LOT of micromanagement. so yeah... it can get borring.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 06:54:43 am »

a bit overpriced, and replayability will be limited until we get paradox favoured dlc that expands it out ( standard fare for paradox and paradox published titles)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 01:42:08 pm »

my biggest issue with this game is that there is no win situation.
It sort of has 2 (as in they are obvious things to set as ultimate goals):
1) When you finish whatever mystery you have
2) When you have done every milestone

There's also potentially at 100 days in, when the final evaluation is, but that is before most mysteries have finished (and I've had them start after then) so it's really more of an "endgame has started" marker.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 01:48:56 pm »

It's ultimately a city builder (IN SPEHSS), so it's pretty much an open-ended game. I find it pretty relaxing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 06:56:39 pm »

Resurrection in the name of Leonardo Da Vinci!

The game has updated. With a sandbox mode, which is kind of just skipping to the endgame where that's the case anyway (except for Water), but also with a lot of quality of life improvements like the Electronics Factory no longer requiring electronics to maintain (meaning it had to have a minimum production at all times, wtf). I'm about to start another game, I think, since Wolfenstein II doesn't work on my computer and SM is a tad better than Frostpunk.

my biggest issue with this game is that there is no win situation.
It sort of has 2 (as in they are obvious things to set as ultimate goals):
1) When you finish whatever mystery you have
2) When you have done every milestone

There's also potentially at 100 days in, when the final evaluation is, but that is before most mysteries have finished (and I've had them start after then) so it's really more of an "endgame has started" marker.
Like DF, it's very open ended. There's no definitive win condition, but you can challenge yourself in a lot of ways.

My last playthrough, I did my own challenge: I started as International Mars Mission, but I put on rules so that inports would grow more and more expensive, I couldn't import food, rocket travel took 3x longer, I could only get one colonist rocket, and so on, and also made a personal rule to deconstruct all rockets instead of send them back. So I had 5 rockets total.

Earth was dying. I was the final Hail Mary of mankind, and that was why all the resources were drying up and I couldn't import food or more people. They were all dead, after all. Earth, itself, was dead. Doing it with a harder sponsor would have been better, but I'm a pleb.

It was actually both difficult and fun. The way colonists breed became very important, where before I was 99% immigrant and didn't care if people screwed. I quickly ran out of money (because no exports and expensive imports), and spent most of the early game scrabbling for resources, struggling to keep my electronics production ahead of my usage. Awesomely, mysteries are tied to population, which I didn't know, and that population number just so happens to be about the tipping point in such a scenario of when you overcome the initial struggle to survive and start to grow more quickly on your own. So the minute I started to feel more confident in my colonies success, Metatron showed up and issued a challenge.

It ended up being a pretty metal campaign, with multiple phases to the gameplay. The initial set-up before the colonists got there, trying to use each block of resources as efficiently as possible, then the initial colonization, where every day was a struggle to keep people alive without running out of electronics and dying the slow death, then a struggle to increase production in time with Metatron's demands, while still making sure my people were happy, screwing, and alive, and then finally a period of triumph after we beat the mystery, and the colony settled into a quick, easy expansion with plenty of resources.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4