Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Surviving Mars  (Read 6114 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving Mars
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2019, 04:19:29 pm »

Having played through it a few times, I think it's because they tried to make terraforming fulfill two roles that were just compatible enough not to register as mutually exclusive: the people who wanted terraforming as a final project for a completed colony to patch the lack of endgame and the ones who wanted terraforming to be the raison d'etre of the colony and therefore something that could be started early to act as a progress bar. If I had to guess, the rocket missions probably owe their existence to the former view, and much of the early forestation process to the latter. Unfortunately, this requires a compromise solution for the time scale, and as you've seen, they erred on the side of drawing terraforming out.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2019, 11:51:40 pm »

I haven't even started foresting yet, actually, I'm waiting for more atmosphere and temprature.

Actually, I'm kind of interested in a mars with 100% atmo, temp, and water, but zero trees... But I'm scared this game might go to sol 400 if I try. We're already halfway there and I'm only at 33% temp...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2019, 05:29:17 am »

It's slow going, yeah. I expect they intended you to use several GHG factories and forestry plants to get it done at any speed. Of course, GHG factories use a lot of power and fuel, while forestation uses a lot of space.

Now that I think about it, GHG factories make almost no sense. They use power, yet also burn fuel. Shouldn't they produce power by burning the fuel, and create greenhouse gases as a byproduct? I could accept that they wouldn't produce net power compared to the cost of manufacturing the fuel in the first place, but it shouldn't consume power like that. Secondly, fuel is produced from water + CO2 taken from the Martian atmosphere(according to description), so how is it creating a greenhouse effect if it's using the CO2 that's already in the atmosphere? Only the water in that recipe comes from outside the atmospheric system, but even then the water could come from water vaporators(and thus from the atmosphere) rather than underground deposits.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2019, 06:03:28 am »

I'm guessing the idea is that they produce greenhouse gases more potent than CO2. If we were to take the consumables at face value - i.e., only what's in the fuel - then that'd mean methane. But then again that's already what the fuel is (according to description), no need to process it further.
However, if we assume there are some additional, and hidden, resources used, like fluorine or sulphur, that didn't warrant their own resource supply chain, then you can get to four magnitudes more warming than what you'd get if you left the CO2 in the atmosphere, and two to three orders of magnitude more than what you'd get from releasing methane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2019, 06:11:57 am »

I think they imply sulfur, as acidified rain is one of the consequences of doing it to aggressively.

Fluoridated carbon compounds would likewise cause chaos in other ways. Mars already has a significant problem with stellar radiation reaching the surface, adding gasses that actively rip apart ozone molecules with their decay products seems counter-intuitive.

Really, if we are going to keep with the game's themes, I would say terraforming should only be possible *AFTER* completing the 'Goddenberry' missions, since how else are you going to get the equivalent of 1/3 of earth's mass required to make mars heavy enough to sustain an atmosphere thick enough anyway?

The alternative is to dome over the whole damn planet so that you can compress the gas behind a barrier that resists solar particle erosion.

But hey- it's a game. Have fun. :P
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 06:13:35 am by wierd »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2019, 06:49:39 am »

That bit about Mars not being able to sustain atmosphere is a red (getit?) herring. A somewhat realistic timescale for terraforming is hundreds to thousands of years. The time scale for significant atmosphere loss is on the order of millions of years. It doesn't matter as far as human settlement goes. If it becomes a problem at some point in the future, you just top up the atmosphere using the same processes you used for terraforming in the first place.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2019, 10:43:31 am »

Plus, you use magnetosphere generators for late-game terraforming to prevent atmo erosion. Not everyone gets Goddenberry, some of us have to deal with trading in massive, infinite, labor-free production of rare metals for... like, 100 rare metals.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]