Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.09 Released  (Read 76411 times)

Lemtoad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.09 Released
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 06:50:43 pm »

Hey Toady any work around when all the treasure hunters are looking for the same few artifacts that are nowhere to be found?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 05:15:14 am »

Hey Toady any work around when all the treasure hunters are looking for the same few artifacts that are nowhere to be found?

Stepping in just a moment, any-number of different things can affect this, including notably people dying in the process of carrying a artifact and having it become irretrievable if they fall outside of a site somewhere in the wilderness. I sort of remember something along the lines of that the AI will collect objects from battles within civilization territory range (on legends) to clean up after within a week or two of the battle occurring, i can't really speak for Toady, but maybe something similar to just recollect the artifact back to a site and announce the rumor of its movement within a few weeks.

Heh i just have a amusing image in my head of some kobold keeling over somewhere outside your fortress bounds and a squad you sent out by chance just finds and brings back this cursed artifact you spend most of your time trying to get rid of that eventually causes your doom via attracting a lot of unwanted attention & its latent magical effects.

Lemtoad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 11:59:34 am »

Stepping in just a moment, any-number of different things can affect this, including notably people dying in the process of carrying a artifact and having it become irretrievable if they fall outside of a site somewhere in the wilderness. I sort of remember something along the lines of that the AI will collect objects from battles within civilization territory range (on legends) to clean up after within a week or two of the battle occurring, i can't really speak for Toady, but maybe something similar to just recollect the artifact back to a site and announce the rumor of its movement within a few weeks.

Heh i just have a amusing image in my head of some kobold keeling over somewhere outside your fortress bounds and a squad you sent out by chance just finds and brings back this cursed artifact you spend most of your time trying to get rid of that eventually causes your doom via attracting a lot of unwanted attention & its latent magical effects.

Yeah, I think that's what's happening or if its truly lost they just take forever visiting every single site before giving up

And that would be funny. Like, I finally have the thing everyone wants! Wait a second..

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 04:07:45 am »

From the latest dev report:
"... and added the ability to give nicknames to all buildings, zones and stockpiles."

I expect this to be extremely useful for vanilla DF players, given that it is extremely useful for DFHack using players!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 05:03:07 am »

Or two guys, maybe cousins, go fishing and one of them finds some artefact jewellery. And is then killed by his companion, for the precious item, who then goes and hides in a cave. At least until he's stumbled upon by some wayward adventurer.

That'd make a good book. Maybe even several!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:04:51 am by Starver »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 05:40:07 am »

Or two guys, maybe cousins, go fishing and one of them finds some artefact jewellery. And is then killed by his companion, for the precious item, who then goes and hides in a cave. At least until he's stumbled upon by some wayward adventurer.

That'd make a good book. Maybe even several!
If an infinite number of monkeys played dwarf fortress on an infinite number of computers, they'd eventually produce the complete works of Tolkien. :)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 07:31:42 pm »

So regarding the infamous "happiness is fucked" bug that's slated to be fixed, I wanted to ask real quick:

This is actually fixed in and of itself, right? And not simply because the "alchohol euphoria is permanent" bug is also being fixed? Because I've repeatedly confirmed that happiness is imbalanced even in a "torture fort" that has NO alcohol.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 07:43:26 pm »

So regarding the infamous "happiness is fucked" bug that's slated to be fixed, I wanted to ask real quick:

This is actually fixed in and of itself, right? And not simply because the "alchohol euphoria is permanent" bug is also being fixed? Because I've repeatedly confirmed that happiness is imbalanced even in a "torture fort" that has NO alcohol.
Stress balance
  - Balance positive and negative events
  - Reflecting on memories of circumstances over time
  - Return of minor disruptive behavior and arrests

Only the second of those involves the fixing of memories during drunkenness. The rest is about balancing the accumulated effects of a torture fortress with its lack of substantial good things leading to stressed dwarves, tantrums and death by stress.

I think.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 07:46:10 pm »

My point is I wasn't sure if that issue was closed due to Toady doing work on it or if he was mistaken as to the cause of it.

Seeing as I don't see where it says what he's currently working on, nor an issue closure reason beyond the generic "will be fixed next version" thing...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 08:52:35 pm »

My point is I wasn't sure if that issue was closed due to Toady doing work on it or if he was mistaken as to the cause of it.

Seeing as I don't see where it says what he's currently working on, nor an issue closure reason beyond the generic "will be fixed next version" thing...
Oh, your post was referring to something being marked as fixed on the tracker? You should probably say so. "Slated to" is future tense, so I assumed you meant dev notes stress balance schedule.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 09:54:23 pm »

Ah, yeah. Sorry, but I did mean the bug-tracker.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 10:00:35 pm »

Ah, yeah. Sorry, but I did mean the bug-tracker.
Ok. I see it now.
For what it's worth, dev notes mark each of those areas as having been completed. Devblog update due later today or tomorrow, guess we'll know more then.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 11:16:43 am »

Why does SDL vs other stuff, cause unique crashes and effect the seed?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 07:04:42 pm »

It was a real ENTITY_RELIGION trying to do the storing, so unless the minotaurs make religions in your experience, it could just be something not modding related.  If a temple being destroyed is adequate, I'd expect to see it more often, but maybe it's just some flavor of that.  Since I know the year it happens, hopefully I can catch it in action and get some more information.
Did you find out anything more regarding this crash?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 09:28:30 pm »

I, yeah, when I did the fix, I noticed that any destroyed world gen temple that then gets a relic attempt from an hf adherent to that religion attempting to gift an artifact would cause the crash (so hopefully this explains other world gen crashes.)  At that point I decided not to revert and investigate the details, since it would take some hours to run the gen several times.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4