Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What actually makes DF great  (Read 10084 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: What actually makes DF great
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 09:31:59 pm »

The laws of physics prevent simulating the universe inside of itself. It just won't work. The notion that you "can do everything" in DF is childish.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 09:37:40 pm »

The laws of physics prevent simulating the universe inside of itself. It just won't work. The notion that you "can do everything" in DF is childish.
I'd say that you can do everything you'd want to do in a simulation game.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 09:39:12 pm »

Yes, obviously we'll never be able to do EVERYTHING in DF, much as we wish we could, but TBH I think you're making too big a deal out of it. Just let people be enthusiastic about the game. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 09:58:28 pm »

Realistically speaking, in ten years computers accessible to the public are gonna be a lot more powerful than the ones that are available now, which are a lot more powerful than the ones available ten years ago, which were...
Black lives matter.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 10:09:47 pm »

Realistically speaking, in ten years computers accessible to the public are gonna be a lot more powerful than the ones that are available now, which are a lot more powerful than the ones available ten years ago, which were...

Still does not count. "Everything" is a lot. You could do a lot, though, so let's be enthusiastic about that instead. </pedantic>

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 10:34:56 pm »

Indeed. There's already more to do in DF than the average person could ever get around to, and to think it's only 44% complete.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 03:25:10 am »

Ambitious games like Dwarf Fortress (or Star Citizen) always amaze me in showing how limited actually computing power still is in contrast to the complexity of real world problems or detail. I mean they still need more powerful supercomputers each year to give us very LACKING predictions on weather and climate. And even with multicore, SSD and cliud I still don't have a machine in front of me that is faster than I can hack commands into my keyboard and mouse for work :)

Maybe it is a lesson in humility and that AI won't take over the world in our lifetimes. And no use being paranoid what happens in some distant future.
That said when Toady retires we need DF to transfer to some Skynet. Better Armok take control than Google and Facebook :)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 03:59:24 am »

Armok is going to be completely disregarded in the Myth release, by the way.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 04:20:26 am »

Armok has always been completely disregarded. He's a myth invented by fans to justify juvenile bloodlust fantasies (and, yeah, I know a procgen Blood God named Armok appears in one of threetoe's stories).

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 06:28:46 am »

Maybe we just invested too much in learning the game to admit that most of it are our expectation on it, overgrow while we didn't understand fully what  was happening and not it's intrinsic value.
Like when you are in love: the loved one is not judged fairly, just loved.
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

Rhenaya's Drow mod forum page

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 07:25:16 am »

Maybe we just invested too much in learning the game to admit that most of it are our expectation on it, overgrow while we didn't understand fully what  was happening and not it's intrinsic value.
Like when you are in love: the loved one is not judged fairly, just loved.
I love it right now for what it is and how much flexibility it gives you to tweak it just the way you want it without having to learn a new scripting language. You can achieve a whole lot before you even think about using tools like Dfhack to go that one step further. That and the love of the project itself of course, which is all blind expectation as you say. We all love to dream.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 09:21:35 pm »

Armok has always been completely disregarded. He's a myth invented by fans to justify juvenile bloodlust fantasies (and, yeah, I know a procgen Blood God named Armok appears in one of threetoe's stories).

Sorry, but that is simply not true! The game title itself is "slaves to armok: god of blood". The fans just elaborated a little bit.

If I recall correctly, the name "Armok" was actually chosen for the original "Slaves to Armok", inspired by a variable called Arm_ok. The reason Toady does not include him in the myth/deity stuff is because each world is created differently in that respect. Also, Myths are just what the people think happened, not actually anything that has to be true.

I always go with the "When the world gets boring, Armok reforges it" believe. That also explains why the inhabitants of the world aren't aware of his existence (for the most part).
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 09:45:09 pm »

It's just that Toady will not elaborate on him at all.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 09:48:22 pm »

Sorry, but that is simply not true! The game title itself is "slaves to armok: god of blood". The fans just elaborated a little bit.

If I recall correctly, the name "Armok" was actually chosen for the original "Slaves to Armok", inspired by a variable called Arm_ok. The reason Toady does not include him in the myth/deity stuff is because each world is created differently in that respect. Also, Myths are just what the people think happened, not actually anything that has to be true.

I always go with the "When the world gets boring, Armok reforges it" believe. That also explains why the inhabitants of the world aren't aware of his existence (for the most part).
I love the ambiguity of Armok, how in a game that generates multiple Gods, Armok is the only constant - the blood God, master of them all. The obvious comparison is to Khorne from GW's franchises, what with all his BLUD 4 THE BLUD GOD stuff, but another is Yama, God of death. In Buddhism, all things die and are reincarnated into the next life in a cycle, which is known as samsara. As the God of death, Yama turns the cycle by making living things move onto the next life. The role of Armok: God of Blood is similar in this sense, in that Armok generates the lives and deaths which make progression of the world history and game progress, and in turn generates and destroys universes when it is time to move onto the next cycle.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 09:49:30 pm »

This is all fanon, though. Nice fanon, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5