Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Tree Appreciation Thread  (Read 26225 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Tree Appreciation Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2018, 11:41:41 am »

Are those your banana trees? Also I swear banana trees suffer from serious lack of genetic diversity

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2018, 12:02:18 pm »

Are those your banana trees? Also I swear banana trees suffer from serious lack of genetic diversity

Only western bananas.

Around here there's loads of different varieties.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2018, 12:44:12 pm »

I love oak trees. Or goat willow. I live in an area where if you leave land empty for a year or two, it'll be covered in goat willow so much that you can't build a house there anymore and your neighbors will have to live with a tiny forest in between them and the village square because cows can't fit between the trees. Also kids play there.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2018, 12:50:16 pm »

I love oak trees. Or goat willow. I live in an area where if you leave land empty for a year or two, it'll be covered in goat willow so much that you can't build a house there anymore and your neighbors will have to live with a tiny forest in between them and the village square because cows can't fit between the trees. Also kids play there.
Where I live is like that, but with poplar. And once they colonise, it only takes a few more years before the other tree types start showing up. This is actually one of those areas that have leaf tourism in Autumn. Which seems so perfectly silly to me but I guess people who live in cities have to take what they can get.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2018, 04:59:07 pm »

No, the picture is from Wikipedia.

Banana trees aren't technically trees, and therefore bananas are berries. Mind = blown.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:02:49 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2018, 05:41:47 pm »

Banana trees aren't technically trees, and therefore bananas are berries. Mind = blown.
While both halves of this statement are true, the implied causation is not! Many berries grow on trees, such as coffee, avocado, persimmon (in fact, a kind of ebony), and one ironically called the "strawberry tree" – while strawberries themselves are not actually botanically considered berries.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2018, 06:06:10 pm »

I swear banana trees suffer from serious lack of genetic diversity

That's vegetative parthenocarpy for you, and it is serious both in scope and in the potential for another variety of Panama disease to destroy the Cavendish banana as it did the Gros Michel.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]