Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 177

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 213592 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1260 on: November 22, 2020, 10:23:05 am »

If a thing that can produce video output (computers, oscilloscopes, Task Manager...) exists, it will have a version of Bad Apple made for it.

If you go down the rabbithole of the demoscene, you will eventually hit a version of Bad Apple.

Here's the amazingly wrong coverage of Bad Apple by CNN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRJcQr0OrQQ

Someone made a version by printing every shot on cardboard then animating that with stop-motion, CNN covers the Bad Apple thing going viral, then shows the stop-motion version as "here's how they made it". No mention of Touhou being a thing of course, just one of the co-hosts mentions she doesn't get it but the kids like this stuff, more or less. Yeah, of course you wouldn't get something if you didn't know it was from other things.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 09:34:41 pm by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: November 23, 2020, 02:26:28 pm »

the amazingly wrong coverage of Bad Apple by CNN
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: November 23, 2020, 07:07:50 pm »

Now that I think of it, the fact that I was dragging my feet trying to recall my gender (back when I thought I was male) should've been a sign that something was off. People don't deliberately take eons to retrieve their gender without them being unhappy with it. I'm surprised it took me this long.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: November 23, 2020, 07:34:13 pm »

Shrug
Self-knowledge is really hard, actually.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: November 24, 2020, 03:31:55 am »

Alright, I think I "got" CDDA.

I have to look things up sometimes, though. Like where to find tarpaulin or how to trian survival past level 3.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: November 24, 2020, 08:46:31 pm »

Every time I think of MTBF (mean time before failure), I keep thinking of MDBTF (My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy), and vice versa. One of these is a term to describe the reliability of systems, the other's an album by Kanye West. Very different terms semantically, yet my peanut brain has merged them into the same entry. It takes conscious effort to differentiate the two in my head.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: November 24, 2020, 10:32:14 pm »

Their acronyms are similar, I can see why they might be associated, maybe your brain likes working with acronyms

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: November 24, 2020, 10:43:00 pm »

Brains like reading whole words at once. Regnrenatamers of lrteets indsie the word not at the fnrot or bcak can siltl be cntonceed to the oginrial wrod, so acronyms that are similar like that tend to seem alike sometimes.

(I wrote a quick python snippet to do that, btw.)

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: November 25, 2020, 02:36:05 am »

Makes sense. It's still funny when my brain's internal voice blurts out something like "Oh yeah, my favorite album is Mean Time Before Failure." My entire execution unit stalls for quite a few cycles as I try to figure out what just happened, but it's worth the chuckle.

I'm actually misremembering it quite subtly, MTBF is actually "mean time between failures". If any woomeisters want to claim Mandela effect, here you go! It's an inconsequential thing to misremember (both mean about the same thing to the uninitiated), and it's not like I'm any sort of reliability expert, so it's prime Mandela effect material.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: November 25, 2020, 07:33:29 pm »

I think a few false positives here and there are the price for being able to associate stuff in the first place. For example, if you were able to engineer a person who would never make that wrong association under any circumstances, then what would that look like? They might lack the ability to make inferences at all, if there was any "signal noise" or mismatch between the inputs, only understanding that two things are connected if they're literally the same. They'd be a very frustrating person to talk to, possibly coming across as a person with deep autism or other learning disabilities.

A lot of the platonic ideals of "perfect cognition", such as impeccable perfect recall, would in fact be crippling in other ways. There are a number of people with extra-good recall and many of them are unemployable and receiving disability support, mostly as a result of the fact that they're wrecks of people because any slight trauma from years ago never fades. That's a downside of perfect recall that people don't consider - that you have perfect recall of trauma and emotions as well as facts, dates, times. It's just unreasonable to expect perfect recall to be perfectly compartmentalized so there's no downside to that. The brain has finite processing power even if you have 'infinite' memory capacity, so having all your previous experiences unfiltered is actually crippling, since you can't actually discard bad or harmful information. It basically makes you more like a walking card catalogue than what we think a healthy person should be, again, you see this in autism.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 07:44:17 pm by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: November 25, 2020, 11:35:47 pm »

Not all autism is like that. I have autism and I don’t have perfect recall and can make associations

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: November 25, 2020, 11:44:47 pm »

My powerful autism memory is devoted to the cringe of my past and various mechanics of random board and video games.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: November 25, 2020, 11:59:47 pm »

I know I have good memory in some places (ask me about computing, that's a real doozy), but I think I've left very little space for anything else. I think there's, like, 5 bytes and 2 CPU cycles left in here. There's very little redundancy in this brain of mine, so the error rate is high. I've sorta turned it into an art form, using the errors to come up with the strange nonsense that I think, so it all works out, I guess.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: November 26, 2020, 12:01:31 am »

Not all autism is like that. I have autism and I don’t have perfect recall and can make associations

I never said it was. I just said people with that type of recall are generally autistic.

This is basic Aristotelian logic. the statement "all people with beards are men" doesn't imply "all men have beards". Similarly, saying that all people with Trait X would be considered autistic does not actually imply that all autistic people have Trait X.

It's not hard to find examples of autistic savants, which is what I was referring to. But ... this doesn't imply ALL autistic people have those savant skills, and I really wasn't implying they do.

https://www.agnesian.com/blog/giftedness-and-autism-savant-skill-fact-sheet

Savants tend to have a "perfect" skill in some way, perfect recall, perfect ability to copy something. But ... they lack the generalization ability. So my point is that you cannot actually gain those "perfect" skills without giving up most of the other things.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 12:09:33 am by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: November 26, 2020, 12:11:00 am »

The general public/media tends to portray the autistic as either powerful rainman savants, or drooling down's syndrome victims incapable of independent living.  Considering most on the spectrum are fairly unnoteworthy in terms of these extremes, such assumptions can get rather grating.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 177