Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 177

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 213556 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1290 on: December 12, 2020, 09:16:18 am »

I'm responding to this same idea again because it bears repeating:  It's okay to get someone wrong.  It's probably not your fault.  In my experience, people are understanding - you think trans people, a persecuted class in America, want to start shit on the street?  We die every day from such misunderstandings.

I was going to joke earlier -- the only people likely to be aggressively offended by an earnest mistake are certain kinds of people that only exist on the internet
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 13, 2020, 07:56:12 am »

The scariest phrase that my brain can say to itself is "you might have a crush on that person". It's some spooky shit, and it's uncertain. If the answer ends up being "yes", it gets even scarier. How will I be able to speak neutrally about and around this person again? I hate having crushes on people, they make my brain go all weird around them.

Only consolation is that the mean time between crushes is around 2 years per crush. If I do, though... I feel sorry for them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 14, 2020, 12:21:17 pm »

In Norway, having a beef with someone is generally a positive experience.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 14, 2020, 12:22:08 pm »

Don't have a cow, man
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 14, 2020, 04:54:14 pm »

Unfortunately, having a crush on someone is a bit more dangerous.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 14, 2020, 05:15:41 pm »

The scariest phrase that my brain can say to itself is "you might have a crush on that person". It's some spooky shit, and it's uncertain. If the answer ends up being "yes", it gets even scarier. How will I be able to speak neutrally about and around this person again? I hate having crushes on people, they make my brain go all weird around them.

Only consolation is that the mean time between crushes is around 2 years per crush. If I do, though... I feel sorry for them.

Same, seems like every time I get feelings for someone I end up hurting myself.  Nowadays the thought of "that person's cute" is often immediately followed by "...but they wouldn't ever like me".
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 18, 2020, 08:14:47 pm »

If I'm understanding my architecture correctly, the appearance center (which allows me to judge the appearance of people) is targeted at other people. There's very little bandwidth from the visual system to Appearance, so it's typically very slow. You'd be lucky to get a single sentence out of me if you asked me to state how you look. It's around one symbol (encoding one concept) per 5 seconds. That's the data rate I'm dealing with.

There is a loopback path for Appearance so that I can judge myself, but somehow it's even more bandwidth-starved. It's like something's blocking it. I look at myself in the mirror, and I think really hard to judge how I look, and all I get is "fatal error: bandwidth starvation". It's probably at least one of reluctance, not caring, (both of which will constrain bandwidth) or it's literally broken. I'm not sure which one(s) it is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 19, 2020, 03:16:10 am »

Brains aren't computers, actually. :P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 19, 2020, 03:54:44 am »

Yeah, but the underlying concept is there.
There's a thought dam at Appearance. It slows down my ability to judge other people's appearances to a crawl. Then, there's a second thought dam in the loopback path, slowing down my own judgements of my own appearance to a crawl of a crawl. In the time it takes me to come up with one word for my appearance, I could've been thinking a thousand other thoughts.

It's maddening how slow it is. Is it reluctance? Is it about not caring? Do I hate what I look like so much that I refuse to think about it?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 24, 2020, 08:56:35 am »

Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 24, 2020, 09:02:56 am »

Was talking with a fellow in the Canadian military, and he posted a screenshot of when his phone was informing him that the current brisk morning weather was (with wind chill factored in) -63c

...which is quite a bit more than "plenty cold", in my opinion :P

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 24, 2020, 10:04:56 am »

I feel that with 80s computers, there's this tendency for music composed on it to have this "bleep-bloop" sound, which I'll define as "Bleep-Bloop Syndrome". I'm no expert on anything, but I believe that that distinctive sound is partially the result of most sound chips having square waves and maybe one channel for noise, as well as programmers not knowing how to sustain notes to produce chords and such. Very staccato sound. No long sustained notes.

Most sound chips of the time (SID, POKEY, AY-3-8910) have the potential to go past that. Sorry ZX Spectrum 48K and OG IBM PC*, that statement doesn't apply unless you do some black magic to push PWM through the one beeper. Either way, I don't particularly know why Bleep-Bloop Syndrome is so prevalent, especially in games released earlier in the platforms' lifetime. Is it legitimately hard to write music that doesn't sound like bleeps and bloops on these things? I was born in an era where computers can push out 16-bit, 44.1 KHz PCM willy-nilly; forgive me for my naivete.

*Seriously, check out 8088 MPH, the first two songs in that demo are a tour de force of Bleep-Bloop Syndrome, and listening to it inspired me to type this opinion out.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 10:08:04 am by methylatedspirit »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 31, 2020, 06:32:42 am »

The power level system in Shadow of War depicts the overall strength of an individual uruk as an abstract number, changes to which have a very real and tangible effect on that orc's sturdiness and abilities.

While the level does increase from common "XP" sources such as defeating worthy foes, it also can increase after successfully hosting a feast, or be decreased by publicly shaming the uruk with a mark on their face.

The handwave of "tricksy elf magicks" can explain why the shaming decreases their physical might, but it does not account for why they can increase in power from successful parties and the like. I would like to put forth the hypothesis that an orc's power level is directly tied into the opinion and awe of his fellow uruks.

But how can popularity cause an individual to become perceptibly stronger and undergo direct physical changes? Simple.

The orcs of Mordor are connected to the WAAAGH!. Ergo, what their fellow orcs believe to be the truth about an individual becomes the truth of that individual.

I have spoken.

EDIT: I have also posted in the wrong thread. Goddamnit.

I blame this year for my lack of reading comprehension when looking at which thread I was posting in.

2020 vision got me bad.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 31, 2020, 07:07:58 am »

Same, seems like every time I get feelings for someone I end up hurting myself.  Nowadays the thought of "that person's cute" is often immediately followed by "...but they wouldn't ever like me".

Best way to deal with it imo is to nip it in the bud by asking them out. Then let them reveal all their flaws so that you realise being attracted to them was a mistake in the first place :P Or, you both realise eachother to be actually quite nice and there's a happy ending. Bonus!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 31, 2020, 02:50:04 pm »

Or you get rejected...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 177