Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 177

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 213269 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1365 on: February 27, 2021, 02:43:47 pm »

Memories are like chinese whispers.  Every time you 'remember' something it is given a new overlay.  Homo Imaginatus.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 02, 2021, 09:57:40 am »

I'm not sure where this is supposed to go, but here's a dumb trick I did on one of my dad's office PCs while cloning the hard disk. Details blurred for privacy reasons.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 02, 2021, 12:34:34 pm »

I'm not sure where this is supposed to go, but here's a dumb trick I did on one of my dad's office PCs while cloning the hard disk. Details blurred for privacy reasons.

Yo dawg, I heard you like your computer so I put your computer in your computer so you can computer while you computer.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: March 03, 2021, 02:51:57 am »

Yo dawg, I heard you like your computer so I put your computer in your computer so you can computer while you computer.
We need to go deeper.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 03, 2021, 08:50:13 pm »

Every time I think of "Gentoo" (as in the Linux distribution), I keep trying to combine it with "Djent". I don't know what "Djentoo" would be, but it's probably even more pretentious than either of those on their own.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: March 03, 2021, 11:49:22 pm »

Huh, that's remarkably phonetic.  I don't usually confuse things phonetically, until I'm drunk - then I'll make really unusual spelling mistakes where I properly spell out a phoneme that *sounds* like what I meant to type.

I guess that means I'm "hearing" an internal audio and trying to transcribe it.  I think that might be right - cause and effect are very confused in human behavior.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 03, 2021, 11:58:36 pm »

In other languages such as Ukrainian the "j" sound is often written in two letters as d, zh because that's how it's composed phonetically.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: March 04, 2021, 12:07:13 am »

Might be related that a lot of older Linux stuff plays a lot with pronouncing "GNU".  Gnoppix, Gnome, etc.  I don't know how universal this is, but back in the mid 2010's the local LUG liked to joke about how exactly that prefix is pronounced.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: March 04, 2021, 12:22:45 am »

I'm reminded of the "you've been gnomed" meme. That meme appends a "gn" sound at the start of "not, "elf" (and "goblin") to end up with "gnot", "gnelf", and "gnoblin", and I wonder if that could be inspired by GNU's tendency to append "Gn" to the name of every one of its projects wherever possible.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 04, 2021, 08:58:51 am »

DJ is a not too unusual phonetism in Swedish. "Jungle" for example is spelled Djungel. Deep is spelled "Djup. "Animal" is Djur. All pronounced with a more twangy J sound.

We also spell some words with LJ, like Ljung ("Heather") or Ljuv ("Sweet"/"Delightful") which seems to indicate a softer, lower mouth kind of J sound.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: March 04, 2021, 09:41:18 am »

DJ is a not too unusual phonetism in Swedish. "Jungle" for example is spelled Djungel. Deep is spelled "Djup. "Animal" is Djur. All pronounced with a more twangy J sound.

We also spell some words with LJ, like Ljung ("Heather") or Ljuv ("Sweet"/"Delightful") which seems to indicate a softer, lower mouth kind of J sound.

I can only imagine how bizarre this must seem in the head of someone who doesn't realize that the Swedish J-sound is the English Y-sound.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: March 04, 2021, 10:30:41 am »

I guess that means I'm "hearing" an internal audio and trying to transcribe it.  I think that might be right - cause and effect are very confused in human behavior.

My language pipeline is different, then. I speak first, pushing raw commands to my vocal cords at high speed to get words out, then I transcribe later. Of course, this means I trip over my words and mispronounce stuff often. I lose the ability to speak properly when I'm medication-drunk (the "high speed" part is very important), so there's pros and cons to each approach.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: March 04, 2021, 10:35:52 am »

I can only imagine how bizarre this must seem in the head of someone who doesn't realize that the Swedish J-sound is the English Y-sound.

Put the Swedish J-Sound is the english J-sound.
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: March 05, 2021, 05:12:10 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:56:08 pm by dragdeler »
let

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 05, 2021, 11:05:47 am »

I think there are more enbies (though I'm lumping in genderfluid, despite it containing both binary and nonbinary) than there are girls on Bay12 General Discussion (definition: is active-ish within the past week or so here). I count 5 enbies to 2 girls, though it's likely an underestimate on at least 1 side. Honestly, I think that's kinda wild. More enbies than there are girls.

The population of Bay12 GD is (note: very rough estimates) somewhere between 20 to 50. This implies that the enby percentage is between 25% and 10%, which is also wild. The enby percentage in trans populations is apparently 25% to 35%, but I can't find any estimates for the general population. I don't actively keep mental records on trans-ness specifically, so I can't say anything there. I only keep track of gender because I think that pronouns are important.

*I'm only counting those who have explicitly stated their gender/pronouns. I refuse to question stated genders, so it's simultaneously a loose and strict definition. Loose in that anyone can declare whatever and I have to accept it, but strict in that I only retain it if it's stated outright at least once.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 177