Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 178

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 214047 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1680 on: October 15, 2021, 10:35:44 am »

Spoiler: meh (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 02:39:56 pm by dragdeler »
let

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: October 22, 2021, 10:31:36 pm »

Why hasn’t anyone started an RTD called “Roll to Doge”?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: October 23, 2021, 01:39:55 am »

It is be cause we are not worthy!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: October 24, 2021, 12:37:47 am »

I was thinking "What kind of creature would be less likely to invent or fully develop projectile weapons?"  And now I'm thinking of adorable little armadillos, operating some very alien machinery with their little paws.  Having conflicts and fights, but they're so used to that being nonlethal.  With tech on our level obviously they *could* operate a machine in such a way that, rube-goldberg style, someone dies...  but perhaps such an idea is an extreme taboo to them.  Of course it would happen, but such abberants would be isolated (perhaps until starvation) and spoke of in whispers.

I'm also thinking about how cute an armadillo would be, operating advanced technology.  One makes tools which make tools which make tools, and the end result lies in their cute little paws which they operate like it's a four-legged Dance Dance machine.

I'm also thinking about first contact with such a species.  I assume humans would be perceived as acting slowly, not to mention unnaturally tall.  Other stuff too - raising our arms to indicate being unarmed might be so alien.  Backing away is probably an understood signal of non-violent intent (though in our culture, with guns, it really isn't...).  Maybe kneeling would be a positive signal - offering vulnerability by reducing mobility, and signaling a desire for equality?

Whatever we do, we better not straighten our limb hairs!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: October 24, 2021, 12:46:12 am »

Heh. I am actually writing an ultra-hard SF story (the one big lie is that FTL exists but it's fairly restricted). Thanks for the idea Rolan.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: October 24, 2021, 12:56:37 am »

Oh nice, you're very welcome to it!
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: November 13, 2021, 12:58:26 am »

"Any tale belongs to whoever can best tell it." -- J. Frank Dobie.

Thing keeps popping up in my mind since I read it on the back of one of their books a few weeks back. One on hand, it basically encapsulates a great deal of my (low :P) opinion of copyright, super succinctly.

On the other, I keep having idle thoughts on what a copyright schema would look like that played that to the hilt -- whoever can tell the tale best gets copyright control over an IP, with anyone being able to have a go at it whenever they want. What the hell does that even look like? Would there be multiple owners in cases where "best" is actually different based on audience or something? How do you tally, who measures and administrates? What do publishing logistics even look like in an environment where copy and distribution authority and royalties and all can shift based on something like that? Would there be yearly contests or something?

It sounds like it'd be wild, and a very different sort of creative environment than we're used to as a collection of civilizations. I kinda' want someone to, like... try it, somehow. Make a publishing platform where rights to a story or character or whatever belongs to whoever can use it best.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: November 13, 2021, 04:48:54 am »

Basically the most liked version would be the most credited, super intuitive and organic.One could keep a ledger of all edits like some chinbloke, for historical accuracy...

And since everything is going into a subscription model anyway have all companies be under the umbrella of an institution  that splits revenue according to a few metrics (a little more than just views that can be farmed with SEO)
let

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: November 14, 2021, 11:35:06 am »

Playing around with Linux made me realize something: when you use Linux on a personal-use machine, you're both the sysadmin and user. You're responsible for not breaking stuff as a sysadmin as much as you're responsible for being a good user.

...or maybe I've just gone nuts from using TTY modes for system administration, as well as insisting on starting off with minimal installs for any distro I touch.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 07:28:25 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: November 15, 2021, 02:38:45 am »

What percent of keysmash is valid Perl?

Something like "alskjfsldkjflskdjs" (keysmash restricted to the alphabetical characters) is always valid because Perl reads this as a variable called "alskjfsldkjflskdjs", and because dynamic language, such a construct is valid, although meaningless.

Once you expand your horizons to allow symbols, though, your chances of emitting valid Perl through keyboard smash go down. "$^$%^&*$%%$&^(*%%$@#" looks like line-noise Perl (to Ms. Never Used Perl over here, mind you), but Perl looks at this and says:
Code: [Select]
Scalar found where operator expected at perl-keysmash line 1, near "$^$%"
        (Missing operator before $%?)
Scalar found where operator expected at perl-keysmash line 1, near "&*$%"
        (Missing operator before $%?)
syntax error at perl-keysmash line 1, near "$^$%"
Execution of perl-keysmash aborted due to compilation errors.

So, you know, your chances do go down substantially, though if you started with a "#", that would be always be valid because that's a comment. Unless if Perl's more fucky than I thought. Perl parsing is undecidable, after all.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 02:44:01 am by methylatedspirit »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: November 21, 2021, 10:59:20 pm »

Alright, I've arranged all the uncomfortable business of tomorrow.  Now all I have to do is wake up and show up, groomed!
I'll need to wake up pretty early to do that!
Any time now... going to sleep on demand, yeah!
Super hyped for sleep!

(Try to imagine that feeling when woke up by an alarm, and you're SO tired.  Imagine it.  Focus on it.  Fail to wake up, that is to say, fall asleep)
She/they

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: November 22, 2021, 03:10:48 am »

I've noticed that when I need to get up earlier than normal I always have an incredibly hard time falling asleep.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: November 25, 2021, 09:03:07 am »

A hundred businesses do 71% of emissions they say. I don't contest. It's just that I see where this myopic focus on ancillary facts (facts) leads; just juggle statistics with anti-maskers/vaxxers for a bit if you still think "a new study shows" has the potential to do anything but provide a springboard to pure narrative.

Somebody is upholding the demand, somebody is "buying all that shit".  And when you see what little consideration can be asked of absolutely normal people, how little can be too much to ask... We had a fake christmas tree on top of 25m³// about 6 tons of filth, being the only thing that peaked out of the container, well 3 out of 3 made me genuinly concerned they were gonna throw their dead leaves on top of it. I'm talking full on bag in hand, comparing sign and content of container, frantically searching for a justification to follow their instinct you could see them "think", even if doing that bullshit mistake won't even spare energy because it's easier or something, just plain old siren call of stupidity.

I had to move the fake christmas tree, I don't have attention to spare on such ineptitudes.
let

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: November 28, 2021, 05:44:41 pm »

I'm not really sure if this is more of a Railgun Thread question anyways, but I'll mention it here.

I think people tend to associate free will with the opposite of determinism, which would be randomness. As in, people see evidence of true randomness in physics and hope that it means that their own behavior is free, determined by random particle behavior, rather than trapped by deterministic processes. Because people don't like to feel trapped, and thinking about being a deterministic thing can feel like being trapped.

But wouldn't being random be worse? If your decisions are partly determined by the universe's randomness, isn't that something external to yourself making choices for you? Whereas if you assume that your decision making process is deterministic, then at least that means that you're making your own decisions based on your own state, able to act rationally rather than be subtly influenced by an unthinking universal law?

or does the fact that I can't really conceive of something which isn't either deterministic or random just prove that I'm a philosophical zombie myself
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 178