Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 177

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 212126 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1740 on: December 10, 2021, 02:30:07 am »

Wicker man goat?
So when do we get goat Nicolas Cage screaming about the bees?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: December 10, 2021, 07:26:53 am »

I honestly can't believe there's people who dislike the smell of coffee. You have to be making this shit up.
Agreed. For several years just a whiff of coffee smell would transport me back to my childhood visits to a certain SE Asian nation where they had their coffee black, sludgy and delicious, with a generous helping of sugar... now those memories have faded for the most part, but I still love the smell. I still drink my coffee black, too.   

The stench is part of what wakes you up.  I assume.  For me, the taste of bitter (unadulterated with sugar and cream) wakes me the heck up.
The caffeine kicks in a few minutes later.
There was a song I wanted to post in response to this, that I distinctly remember discovering and listening to on Spotify years ago, but now I can't seem to find it. :(   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: December 10, 2021, 07:44:37 am »

UwU

Meanwhile at the sexy santa elf costume industry...

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: December 12, 2021, 05:40:57 am »

Quick sidenote that while official marriage between homosexual couples is a relatively new thing in Norway, it's not quite as meaningful given that most of the rights associated with marriage in the US are granted by cohabitation/domestic partnership in Norway, which I don't think has ever discriminated against same-sex pairings.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: December 12, 2021, 05:55:10 am »

Yeah, same here. Same sex-marriages for the church are relatively new, but same-sex marriages / other forms of official partnership which give the same rights as church marriage have been legal for a long time.

It has, for a very long time now, not really been anything about discriminating lgbti, it was more of a clash between constitutional right of freedom of religion and constitutional right to non-discrimination.

Note that the vast majority of marriages over here are for the state, not for the church anyways.

In other words: the question was more 'can we force a religious person to do something that goes against their belief?
For example, can you force a jew/muslim to eat pork / can you force a catholic priest to minister a same-sex wedding ceremony in the church?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 11:22:20 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1746 on: December 12, 2021, 07:56:48 pm »

The Swedes do burn a goat still, if ”still” is applicable when it hasn’t been burned for the last four years because burning the goat is an act of arson and the municipality will do anything to stop it. It’s a shame.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: December 12, 2021, 09:20:49 pm »

can we talk about how the terran music in starcraft 1 absolutely slaps?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: December 12, 2021, 09:35:52 pm »

terran theme is BUMPIN man I put on the starcraft soundtrack one day earlier this year and was floored at just how effectively each race's musical themes capture their ideological themes, since I never bothered thinking closely about that while acquiring vespene gas

but if you wanted to just 'listen to a piece of soundtrack' you gotta go terran man

and those sounds are iconic i made a loot filter for path of exile that would play zerg sounds when good loot dropped so high-value objects sound like scourges exploding and high-tier maps are greater spires and all the little goodie jubblies currency that's nice but not valuable was that good good splllllt spllllt splllt sounds the hydralisks make when they shoot.

OGH so satisfying

(I'm thinking about this in context of 2000's starcraft, not the remaster)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: December 12, 2021, 09:58:05 pm »

can we talk about how the terran music in starcraft 1 absolutely slaps?
Omigosh, right?  Starcraft 1 can be hard to play in a lot of ways, but the Terran music lives up to my memory of old LAN parties.

Sure they were copying off Warhammer once the deal fell through...  But making the Space Marines into the Deep South was pretty brilliant.  Every unit has so much character, and works just as well whether they're fighting for the Terran Confederacy or are snarky rebels and freebooters.  The siege tankers have a drawl so deep that even I was misunderstanding them!  And I know it's in my head but you can almost see their glee when you managed to deploy and support them properly, and an enemy force just gets... denied.  Goes hand in hand with those cocky fighter-jocks.  Even the prim battlecruiser captains really just want to fire off their wave-motion-cannons.

The music evokes a lot of that for me.  High stakes, industrial, and very... very frontier.  I'm glad that Earth was basically unmentioned until the expansion.  These frontier Deep-South terrans relied on adaptability and sarcastic grit, and that's a legacy I can be proud of (in this game where it isn't relying on chattel slavery).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: December 12, 2021, 11:01:19 pm »

The siege tankers have a drawl so deep that even I was misunderstanding them!
It was years after I played the SC1 campaigns through that I stopped wondering why the blazes those critters were talking about eating roses. Rose eating, rose eating, they kept saying, and I had no idea what they were going on about.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: December 12, 2021, 11:08:18 pm »

It was years after I played the SC1 campaigns through that I stopped wondering why the blazes those critters were talking about eating roses. Rose eating, rose eating, they kept saying, and I had no idea what they were going on about.
Literally same!  I assumed "Rose eaten" was a phrase from Alabama or Florida or something, I'm merely NC.  Nice to hear it confused you too.

Also the Goliaths addressing "Tac-COM" sounded a little bit like my handle at the time, and I briefly thought it was some text-to-speech gimmick.  It was FAR off but close enough for my suspension of disbelief.

The Terran theme, to save people a Google search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD4GbGmvNRc
It's fun to check out all the Starcraft 1 unit quotes on Youtube, though.  They say a lot of funny things when you keep clicking them. 

Edit:  As someone who loved Mechwarrior stuff growing up, it was pretty weird/funny for a game to include walkers... And they were essentially mobile SAM batteries!  Technically capable in ground-ground combat but cost-ineffective compared to most other options.  Or maybe it's just that every air unit was incredibly fragile for its cost...  I tended to use Wraith fighters instead.  They were equally fragile, but the invincibility of a cloaking device makes for a devastating attack against enemy fliers.

I assume Blizzard was picturing Imperial Guard Sentinels, basically AT-STs, instead of proper battlemechs.  But their devastating anti-air attacks stuck with me for a unit that was otherwise pretty disappointing.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 11:21:39 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: December 12, 2021, 11:15:38 pm »

Literally same!  I assumed "Rose eaten" was a phrase from Alabama or Florida or something, I'm merely NC.  Nice to hear it confused you too.
Yeah, proceeding is just generally not a word used down here in places with that kind of drawl to begin with. I can comprehend accents thicker than theirs most days, but that particular word just isn't one I've heard much or at all in the wild. Too fancy for general use, heh.

Meanwhile roses are genuinely edible and gardening and junk is fairly common around here, so... that was a comprehensible thing, I just didn't understand why they were talking about it. Answer was they weren't...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: December 13, 2021, 05:32:25 am »

The Swedes do burn a goat still, if ”still” is applicable when it hasn’t been burned for the last four years because burning the goat is an act of arson and the municipality will do anything to stop it. It’s a shame.

This is the real war on Christmas
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: December 13, 2021, 07:22:28 am »

God listening that Terran theme transported me back in time and halfway across the globe in an instant.

Shit, I bet I can get Starcraft to run in Wine.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 177