Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 177

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 205576 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #465 on: December 03, 2019, 07:43:06 pm »

Notice that the links do not retain the values you typed in.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 03, 2019, 08:03:12 pm »

lol
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 03, 2019, 08:13:12 pm »

Oops. The bacteria on the person is about 3 Newtons of force while the person in the Earth is a lot higher, something to the 10*15 power. I used 45.3592 kg for the human. And 10^-15 kg for the bacterium

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 03, 2019, 08:21:24 pm »

I found a video about how medieval kings might see the world today
https://youtu.be/osdLRaCxa5A

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 03, 2019, 11:36:59 pm »

Oops. The bacteria on the person is about 3 Newtons of force while the person in the Earth is a lot higher, something to the 10*15 power. I used 45.3592 kg for the human. And 10^-15 kg for the bacterium
You must have borked it really bad, since those values are obviously not physical. For the human that should come out to approx. 450N. Remember it's the same force acting both ways. 10E15N would splatter you into neutronium. Same with the bacterium - 3N is a noticeable pull that you could sense from each and every bacterium on your skin, while all the airborne ones would want to smother you. Neither of those things happens in reality, so it tells you messed up somewhere.
Probably something to do with the distance you assumed the two bodies to be separated by (i.e. way too short). Or maybe input parsing error.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 03, 2019, 11:53:06 pm »

At a guess, r was set to the distance between surfaces rather than centers of mass.

I went ahead and did the human to bacterium calculation assuming a human was a homogeneous sphere with radius 24 cm (based on the average human mass of 62 kg and assuming we're as dense as water), and I got a gravitational force of 5.2E-23 N between the human and an individual bacterium. For the entire bacterial population on an average human (assuming they were just one 200-gram mass of sludge), I got a total force of 5.2E-08 N. That seems reasonable to me.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:55:06 pm by Trekkin »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 03, 2019, 11:57:17 pm »

Hey! Only cows are spherical. ;)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 04, 2019, 12:03:25 am »

At a guess, r was set to the distance between surfaces rather than centers of mass.

I went ahead and did the human to bacterium calculation assuming a human was a homogeneous sphere with radius 24 cm (based on the average human mass of 62 kg and assuming we're as dense as water), and I got a gravitational force of 5.2E-23 N between the human and an individual bacterium. For the entire bacterial population on an average human (assuming they were just one 200-gram mass of sludge), I got a total force of 5.2E-08 N. That seems reasonable to me.
Cool. This means that the force keeping a bacterium on a human is stronger than the force keeping a human to Earth. I used about 45 kg since thst was about my weight, using the average for all humans makes much more sense.

Unrelated random thought, what if we programmed an AI, and had it watch the brain activity of various humans throughout say, a college campus? To learn about the way humans think?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 04, 2019, 12:08:57 am »

Cool. This means that the force keeping a bacterium on a human is stronger than the force keeping a human to Earth.
As long as we're still talking about gravity - It isn't.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 04, 2019, 12:12:14 am »

Cool. This means that the force keeping a bacterium on a human is stronger than the force keeping a human to Earth.
As long as we're still talking about gravity - It isn't.
This means I must have miscalculated human to Earth forces. My mistake. Sorry

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 04, 2019, 12:23:23 am »

Cool. This means that the force keeping a bacterium on a human is stronger than the force keeping a human to Earth. I used about 45 kg since thst was about my weight, using the average for all humans makes much more sense.

Bacteria also aren't that far off from the length/mass scale where inertia stops being a significant determinant of the mechanical behavior of a system under physiological conditions, so gravity doesn't really matter once something that small is in fluid and acted on by Brownian motion. Think about how you can launch yourself off the wall of a swimming pool, for example, and just drift for a while through the water in whatever direction you pushed. Now imagine trying to do the same thing in a ball pit. Now imagine how hard it would be if all the balls were baseballs and actively jumping around, and you'll have some idea of why mass and inertia and gravity don't have much to do with your skin flora. Intermolecular interactions do, though.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 04, 2019, 12:35:12 am »

Bacteria also aren't that far off from the length/mass scale where inertia stops being a significant determinant of the mechanical behavior of a system under physiological conditions, so gravity doesn't really matter once something that small is in fluid and acted on by Brownian motion. Think about how you can launch yourself off the wall of a swimming pool, for example, and just drift for a while through the water in whatever direction you pushed. Now imagine trying to do the same thing in a ball pit. Now imagine how hard it would be if all the balls were baseballs and actively jumping around, and you'll have some idea of why mass and inertia and gravity don't have much to do with your skin flora. Intermolecular interactions do, though.
Ah yes. I heard of Brownian motion before. That is interesting. Speaking of bacteria, some are multicellular

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 04, 2019, 12:50:45 am »

Unrelated random thought, what if we programmed an AI, and had it watch the brain activity of various humans throughout say, a college campus? To learn about the way humans think?
Biggest hat trick I can think of with that would be getting the whatever the brain activity data. If we have particularly portable devices capable of getting decent neural activity reads I don't think I've heard of it, and a quick google check suggests a: we don't, and b: the closest we have to it looks like stuff straight out of a sci-fi b-movie. Your second hat trick would be convincing dozens of people to wear the things for an extended period, and then figure out how to adjust your input for dealing with people walking around with giant spiky full face helmets on. Then there's just... other stuff. How much it could figure out thinking versus just brain activity, how to make sure the AI doesn't have pre-programmed biases, so on, so forth.

It's an experiment we'll probably see at some point, but not likely to be anytime soon. The logistics alone is a wall currently impossible to climb over.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 04, 2019, 01:02:27 am »

Well, there IS that moonshot skunkworks operation Musk is funding..

Should they get a "wont leave you a quivering vegetable, or cause long lasting neural trauma" version, there's your data source.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 04, 2019, 01:09:44 am »

There's a more fundamental problem with this proposal, though: there's not a universal way to convert a trained AI's weight sets into a useful set of rules.

AIs are a way to encode trends in data sets into a common architecture and express the gestalt probability that a given set conforms to those trends. Trying to extract those trends themselves ex post facto isn't generally productive.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 177