Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 177

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 205665 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« on: April 02, 2018, 09:07:10 am »

This is a thread for remarks that do not fit into any of the "emotion threads".

In game design, pick two:

Depth
Fun
Accessibility
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:52:25 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 10:33:19 am »

It is somewhat strange the way colonies of insects work, but I feel weird considering them a single organism, as almost all ecosystems behave similatly on some level.
In a time before time, I had a name.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 12:23:42 pm »

How can mirrors be real if our eyes arent real
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 12:32:19 pm »

How can mirrors be real if our eyes arent real
Our eyes are real.

Well, mine are. Your mileage may vary.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 08:20:09 pm »

It is somewhat strange the way colonies of insects work, but I feel weird considering them a single organism, as almost all ecosystems behave similatly on some level.

Considering them a single organism is indeed a pretty bad analogy from what I understand. Another common analogy is a society where only a select few are able to breed, but that's not really much better. Ants are ants, I guess.

This might be /iamverysmart/ or /stonerphilosophy/ material (and before I proofed it it definitely was) but I've been thinking about the difference between known and unknown unknowns, and the differences between them. I know, for example, that I don't really know what string theory is, only what it's called. But if I wanted to, I could decide to dedicate some time to learning about it, and then I would know it. But there are also things that I don't know, but don't realize that I don't know. I could, for example, investigate string theory, and find out that it's not actually real, and that physicists just made it up so they can filter out people who talk about it unironically. But that is conceivable to me (if unlikely) so does that make it a known unknown? To truly be an unknown unknown would I need to not even be able to formulate a thought on the subject - like when I was a very young child and the idea that everything I consciously interact with is made of the protons, neutrons, and electrons was so outside of my frame of reference I literally never could have thought to even ask?

And I know that there must be things like that. Most religions, and mine is no exception, have at least some means of acknowledging the concept. And even if I choose to ignore theology, I know of a whole ton of formerly unknown unknowns that I now know, or at least know I don't know. I have no reason to believe that I have finished tracing the outline of all creation now, and that all I need to do at this point is fill in the details. It's neat to think about, that in time I might know things like the back of my hand that are right now basically an out of context problem for me. It definitely puts the phrase 'broadening your horizons' into a very interesting perspective.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 11:40:51 am »

I would be okay with this becoming a stoner philosophy thread.

like when I was a very young child and the idea that everything I consciously interact with is made of the protons, neutrons, and electrons was so outside of my frame of reference I literally never could have thought to even ask?

Knowing which questions to ask is 90% of understanding. Several thousand years ago, the smartest people on the planet didn't know basic facts about astronomy, mathematics, and biology that a 16 year old takes for granted now. This could be the reason that a framework of thought can be extremely useful, even if it only organizes existing facts and adds nothing of its own.

"One systemic problem can often be overcome by one altruist in the right place. Two systemic problems are another matter entirely."

To everyone reading the above sentence: did a certain institution come to mind for you? What was it?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 11:54:56 am »

"Everything solid is just the ice of something else."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:57:37 am by MorleyDev »

Billy

• Bay Watcher
  • 2495 2837 1566
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 02:07:17 pm »

Why dont graveyards have a high number of ghosts?
That's my jam, I like catching ghosts but theres none everytime I go. Yet two houses down from my house at the bowling club. BOOM. ghosts everywhere, like the old people who play the sport died on the spot and out flies a spirit. Same with the McDonalds McShit

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 05:03:14 pm »

Well, graveyards don't have ghosts because they were memorialized properly, and presumably spooky houses need engraved slabs.

Can you even have a full conversation with no questions, merely statements?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:05:23 pm by Scarlet_Avenger »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 05:15:03 pm »

Can you even have a full conversation with no questions, merely statements?

Yes, you can. It's called the Question Game, I just lost by making a statement, and doubtless someone will be along to play it with you shortly.

EDIT: I just realized that was backwards. Carry on.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:14:37 pm by Trekkin »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 12:55:17 am »

On the spur of the moment today, I referred to sticks and rocks as "nature objects". This is clearly the wrong/best term. Isn't there a specific word for nature objects, though?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 12:56:10 am »

On the spur of the moment today, I referred to sticks and rocks as "nature objects". This is clearly the wrong/best term. Isn't there a specific word for nature objects, though?

"Raw materials"?

Billy

• Bay Watcher
  • 2495 2837 1566
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 01:03:49 am »

No? Grisha isn't any other user. Never was.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 01:23:20 am »

"Raw materials"?

I meant it more in the context of potential improvised weapons, though.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 177