Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 177

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 205691 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 05:58:08 am »

"Simple tools"

or

Paleolithic/(Neolithic, depending on quality and style) weaponry.

-----------
I wonder if it is actually possible to be unbiased.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 08:30:44 am »

Dead people are unbiased about everything but being dead, methinks, as they have no ability to form opinions anymore.

---

There are underwater rivers and lakes under the oceans. Do fish ever drown in them?

---

Why are they killer whales when they're big dolphins? Shouldn't they be whale-killing megadolphins?

---

NSFW question
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

The mantle of the earth is molten. Do we just live on an exceptionally cold star? Orbiting a bigger, hotter star?

---

If a eusocial animal kills one of its hive, is that murder or semisuicide?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 08:33:30 am »

"The mantle of the earth is molten. Do we just live on an exceptionally cold star? Orbiting a bigger, hotter star?"

There is no fusion inside of Earth. So no.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 08:40:15 am »

Good point. I forgot about that tidbit. Not like there's an enormous ball of nuclear incineration hanging in the sky to remind me or anything. 😛

If we created a pure fusion bomb, would it be a short lived star creator?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 08:54:31 am »

Why are they killer whales when they're big dolphins? Shouldn't they be whale-killing megadolphins?
I remember hearing a theory that it was a mistranslation of the name in a different language, that was actually whale-killer, so named because of the said habit of killing whales

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 09:04:52 am »

I've read that also, that it was mistranslated from Spanish IIRC.

Also, there are no accurate reports of killer whales predating on humans (I found ONE report of a bite and release) in the wild. I feel like they've definitely eaten people before but they're smart enough to finish the job without witnesses. Also what human stands a chance against 4 to 20 8 ton apex aquatic predators of high intelligence whilst in their environment?
He's fucking with us.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 09:09:36 am »

Also, there are no accurate reports of killer whales predating on humans (I found ONE report of a bite and release) in the wild. I feel like they've definitely eaten people before but they're smart enough to finish the job without witnesses. Also what human stands a chance against 4 to 20 8 ton apex aquatic predators of high intelligence whilst in their environment?
One with a high power gun, or a ship, or harpoons

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 10:05:04 am »

Unlikely as the term is the same
Welp apparently it was. The name comes from Spanish whale killers, which was translated into English as killer whales, and then retranslated into Spanish as killer whales again. Huh.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:06:56 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 11:10:18 am »

Basically linguistic gaslighting. I wonder how that happened?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 01:05:43 pm »

If we created a pure fusion bomb, would it be a short lived star creator?

It'd be the wrong kind of fusion, for one thing, and initiated in the wrong way. If I recall correctly, the formal definition of a star involves proton-proton fusion and gravitational containment.

Billy

• Bay Watcher
  • 2495 2837 1566
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 02:05:18 pm »

Its cause you do have a soul. Get over it. Its there in your feet

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 02:28:19 pm »

I don't believe in a soul, to start off with. Now, what drives me mad is how is it that a load of electrical signals in a wrinkly grey ball can create a consciousness? We know it's there (excluding any "I know therefore I am" stuff), it's a measurable thing. How does a load of adaptive electrical signals form it, though?

It's meant to drive you mad. Consciousness is great value for woo peddlers and armchair intellectuals alike; it lets them pretend the neurologists know as little as they do because "science can't explain" it, and therefore they can keep trading on that wonder and selling you crystal healing and long diatribes about how interesting everything is (and, more importantly, how smart they are for seeing it) as long as they can keep redefining it away from our actual understanding of the brain.

The truth is that consciousness is simply a set of interconnected structural, chemical, and electrical feedback loops, in roughly that order of mutability; if you think of the chemical signals as memory for the electrical signals and structural changes as memory for the chemicals you'll be in roughly the right ballpark. That's all there is to the great mystery of the brain. There's no point at which a set of neurons "wakes up and becomes a mind", just a multi-dimensional continuum of complexity and degrees of mutability. Nor is there anything lost at death other than the conditions required for those feedback loops to perpetuate. It's informatically complex, sure, but it's not mystical.

EDIT: As an analogy, you could just as easily ask how a bunch of transistors create a computer. They don't, but they do process information, and enough of them together with memory and other bits can process information in ways complex enough to allow for what we readily recognize as computation.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 02:33:23 pm by Trekkin »

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 02:44:53 pm »

It's on wikipedia as the "Hard problem of consciousness". The consensus among people who manage to get their opinions published seem to vary between "It's an unsolvable mystery" and "Consciousness isn't in any way a special phenomenon. You simply see yourself and your experience as special because your brain forces you to."
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 03:05:21 pm »

I created consciousness as part of a scheme to sell bootleg Simpsons mugs. Sorry if this is a disappointing answer.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 04:13:33 pm »

We know it's there (excluding any "I know therefore I am" stuff), it's a measurable thing.
Wait, who told you that? We can measure a lot of things that people think are related to consciousness, but we can't actually prove that consciousness, in the cognito ergo sum sense of internal experience, actually exists or is connected to any of those measurable physical features. Even self-reports of consciousness from patients aren't sufficient because we don't know whether consciousness is necessary to make them (nb, if so, many more things are conscious than we normally assume). All that we can measure are things like responsiveness to stimuli, and it's pretty obvious how the brain can produce responsiveness to stimuli, because we have sensory and motor nerves.

I don't think consciousness really exists, anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 177