Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 178

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 214506 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - Small Scale Kewminism
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2018, 05:34:45 pm »

You program a startrek holodeck with a very resource demanding simulation that simulates atomic arrangements and interractions. Some jackwad uses it to simulate single celled life. Are the simulations alive?

Also, the argumentum ad absurdum for your previous thought experiment:

A mechanical clock is comprised of springs and gears. None of which individually can tell time. How does the clock tell time? What is the finite basis of adding gears and springs to each other at which it becomes able to tell time? Can the ability to tell time be derived from first principles?

To which, all of the facts point to: 1) It tells time by exploitation of stored mechanical energy in its springs, being released against friction on a gearing assembly that exploits mechanical advantages of gearing ratios. 2) Depends on the granularity of time you want to measure, the amount of energy stored, and rate of delivery of the springs, and the degree of friction the gears provide to resist it.  3) Yes.

Humans are currently quite capable of storing all the data inside their heads and processing it easily to resolve this problem set. The issue is that humans are not so capable when it comes to holding all the data inside their heads and processing it easily to resolve the problem set you have suggested. Due to human inability to comprehend, a false presumption that it cannot be known or understood is raised. This creates a mystique that is known as "Sentience."

Compare: A bunch of clocks trying to figure out how a clock works.  Clockwork in general is a form of applied relational logic, which is how things like Babbage's engine can be made from it. It is theoretically possible that a complex enough clock could comprehend (store, process data on, and create useful predictions about) the nature of clockwork. Ordinary wall clocks lack the capacities to understand how other ordinary wall clocks operate. Humans likewise lack the capacities to understand how humans work.  That does not make the humans any more or less machines than the wall clocks. They just operate on different physical principles.

Humans at some level realize that they are incapable of storing all the data reliably inside themselves, which is why they created computers to begin with (books first!), and why they create ever more sophisticated ones, pooling the resources of multiple humans (and those of previously made computers) in the effort collaboratively.  Eventually, we will make a system capable of accurately modeling and predicting all possible human behaviors, by accumulating and processing all of the data required. That system will likewise be able to derive and simulate all human endeavor down to first order principles.

This will make the mystique go away. It will make many humans upset and angry-- they dont WANT to be machines, they want to be SPECIAL. Confronted with a formal proof of their biomechanical natures, they will deny. It will be both terrible, and great (in both senses) at the same time.  Many deny even now. It is why we are having this discussion.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2018, 05:57:55 pm »

I was comparing the writing of the genetic code to the writing of a hypothetical sentient machine code

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2018, 06:00:09 pm »

that's a quibble over a self-generated signal.

The clock does not tell time, because it does not reference its own output, basically.  However, see Babbage's engine. It DOES do that, and is still just clockwork.

Humans are little more than complex state machines that produce internal signals that get fed into the next state along with the sensory data they take in. In this way, the previous state of the state machine influences the next state of the state machine. Without knowledge of the initial state of the state machine, it is not possible to predict the next iteration of the state machine.  This does not mean that the fundamental principles of the state machine cannot be known.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2018, 06:12:42 pm »

Ok-- How about we go about it this way.

prin·ci·ple
ˈprinsəpəl/
noun
noun: principle; plural noun: principles

a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.
    "the basic principles of Christianity"
    synonyms:   truth, proposition, concept, idea, theory, assumption, fundamental, essential, ground rule
    "elementary principles"
        a rule or belief governing one's personal behavior.
        "struggling to be true to their own principles"
        synonyms:   morals, morality, (code of) ethics, beliefs, ideals, standards; More
        integrity, uprightness, righteousness, virtue, probity, (sense of) honor, decency, conscience, scruples
        "a woman of principle"
        morally correct behavior and attitudes.
        "a man of principle"
        synonyms:   morals, morality, (code of) ethics, beliefs, ideals, standards; More
        integrity, uprightness, righteousness, virtue, probity, (sense of) honor, decency, conscience, scruples
        "a woman of principle"
        a general scientific theorem or law that has numerous special applications across a wide field.
        a natural law forming the basis for the construction or working of a machine.
        "these machines all operate on the same general principle"
    a fundamental source or basis of something.
    "the first principle of all things was water"

mech·an·ism
ˈmekəˌnizəm/
noun
noun: mechanism; plural noun: mechanisms

a system of parts working together in a machine; a piece of machinery.
    "the gunner injured his arm in the turret mechanism"
    synonyms:   machine, piece of machinery, appliance, apparatus, device, instrument, contraption, gadget; More
    informalgizmo
    "an electrical mechanism"
    machinery, workings, works, movement, action, gears, components
    "the train's safety mechanism"
    procedure, process, system, operation, method, technique, means, medium, agency, channel
    "a formal mechanism for citizens to lodge complaints"
    a natural or established process by which something takes place or is brought about.
    "we have no mechanism for assessing the success of forwarded inquiries"
    synonyms:   procedure, process, system, operation, method, technique, means, medium, agency, channel
    "a formal mechanism for citizens to lodge complaints"
        a contrivance in the plot of a literary work.
        "his Irma La Douce is a musical based on the farce mechanism"
    Philosophy
    the doctrine that all natural phenomena, including life and thought, allow mechanical explanation by physics and chemistry.

Origin
mid 17th century: from modern Latin mechanismus, from Greek mēkhanē (see machine).
Translate mechanism to
Use over time for: mechanism

The principles at work inside a human are known.  Chemical interactions, quantum mechanical interactions (plays a role in protein conformation, among others), and electromagnetic interractions (such as charge potentials from ion concentrations)  This is analogous to the principles behind which a mechanical clock or calculator are based on.

The mechanisms involved are specific to the arrangements thereof. EG, the difference between a wall clock, and babbage's engine, is the arrangement of the parts, not the principles of operation.

Likewise the differences between a mouse and a human are the arrangement of the parts, not the principles of their operation.

Both the parts themselves and the principles by which they interact with each other can be known and simulated. Thus, with a sufficiently complex/capable simulation, both can be simulated in their entirety.

The obstacle to simulating an imprint of a specific human in that framework is fundamentally being able to know the initial state from which to progress from, not the ability to compute the result.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2018, 06:23:00 pm »

I think we are talking past each other. Being rude does not help.

You were the one who was just arguing that I was conflating principle with mechanism. I just elaborated how I was not doing so. Being mad about it does not help you.

The point of the ad-absurdum was to reduce a complex phenomenon with an analogous, less complex one.  EG, the biological soup of human existence, for the rigid cogs and gears of the clockwork automaton.  What holds true of the less complex one, will also hold true of the more complex one, as they are both fundementally state machines.

You can argue that humans are not state machines until you are blue in the face, but the reality is that there is a finite quanta for time in a local spacetime, the plank-second, and a finite quanta for how fast information can be propagated (the speed of light in vacuum). The ENTIRE UNIVERSE is a state machine, in which humans are simulated/embedded.

Thus, by necessity, humans are state machines.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2018, 06:28:50 pm »

YES. YES.  I KNOW WHAT IT IS.  YES, I KNOW WHAT YOU SAID.

You are not understanding what *I* said, when I said that sentience is an illusion.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2018, 06:32:12 pm »

Can you even define what sentience *IS*?

:P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2018, 06:38:17 pm »

Ok, Let's tentatively use Wikipedia's opening blurb then, since it is arbitarily as good as any other outside of more rigorous terms being used--

Sentience is the capacity to feel, perceive or experience subjectively.[1] Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience). In modern Western philosophy, sentience is the ability to experience sensations (known in philosophy of mind as "qualia"). In Eastern philosophy, sentience is a metaphysical quality of all things that require respect and care. The concept is central to the philosophy of animal rights because sentience is necessary for the ability to suffer, and thus is held to confer certain rights.

In this sense, the "sentience" of something relates to its ability to make a unique internal signal that relates to the outside environment. A "Feeling".

In the absurdum model I presented, this is no different than a unique signal generated in a less capable system, being backfed into the simulation of the next state. It could be unique because of a difference in the viscosity of the grease used, or a bit of dust in the bearings. It is still a signal that is being generated internally being backfed into the next iteration of the state.

It is not special. It is illusionary to consider it seperate from the operation of the device, as it is an integral part of the operation of the device.

More specifically, when I said this:

Quote from: emphasis added
that's a quibble over a self-generated signal.

The clock does not tell time, because it does not reference its own output, basically.  However, see Babbage's engine. It DOES do that, and is still just clockwork.

Humans are little more than complex state machines that produce internal signals that get fed into the next state along with the sensory data they take in. In this way, the previous state of the state machine influences the next state of the state machine. Without knowledge of the initial state of the state machine, it is not possible to predict the next iteration of the state machine.  This does not mean that the fundamental principles of the state machine cannot be known.

It is a direct refutation of the first paragraph of the wikipedia article on sentience:

Philosophy and sentience

In the philosophy of consciousness, sentience can refer to the ability of any entity to have subjective perceptual experiences, or as some philosophers refer to them, "qualia".[2] This is distinct from other aspects of the mind and consciousness, such as creativity, intelligence, sapience, self-awareness, and intentionality (the ability to have thoughts about something). Sentience is a minimalistic way of defining consciousness, which otherwise commonly and collectively describes sentience plus other characteristics of the mind.

Some philosophers, notably Colin McGinn, believe that sentience will never be understood, a position known as "new mysterianism". They do not deny that most other aspects of consciousness are subject to scientific investigation but they argue that subjective experiences will never be explained; i.e., sentience is the only aspect of consciousness that can't be explained. Other philosophers (such as Daniel Dennett, who also argues that non-human animals are not sentient) disagree, arguing that all aspects of consciousness will eventually be explained by science.[3]

The inability to predict a specific instance of the type of state machine, due to incomplete initial state data, does not prove that the knowledge of the core principles of operation are wrong. It simply means you lack sufficient information to establish the state you are transitioning from, and thus, why you failed to arrive at the predicted state.

"Sentience" as used by philosophers is "Magic woo sauce", if you take the above to its conclusion.

It is also why I made the jab at "Can you even define what it *IS*?"---  If, per the beliefs of some philosophers, it CANNOT be understood, how then, CAN you define what it *IS* ? ;P

If you cannot define what it *IS*, how do you define what it  *IS NOT*, and subsequently, how can you determine that the simulation lacks it?

When you boil it down, it basically just becomes "I am not complex enough to understand the root causalities of individual quirks in behavior, thus it cannot be known." This is not rational.  We are not the highest possible form of life; we (humans) are designing one that can surpass us even as we (you and I) discuss this, even though our faults make us have great difficulty in the performance of that task.

To me, the argument about "Sentience" is specious at worst, and illusion at best.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:18:45 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2018, 07:49:30 pm »

See, we were just talking past each other the whole time.

I even lamplit that humans are no more sentient than a quantum particle is on the very outset. :P

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2018, 08:24:49 am »

Semantics start the best arguments.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2018, 04:20:23 am »

*gets up to refill popcorn*
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2018, 03:15:33 pm »

Whenever a movie/book/game/pizza is advertised as life-changing isn't that just an oxymoron? I mean, even a terrible pizza could probably put an idea in your mind that wasn't there before; like not buying pizza from that place again.

Was this post life-changing?
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2018, 05:51:05 pm »

...I do not think that's what oxymoron means.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2018, 05:58:53 pm »

No, it apparently isn't. I probably should've looked that up first. Oh well, this isn't exactly the serious philosophy thread.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2018, 06:00:01 pm »

No, it apparently isn't. I probably should've looked that up first. Oh well, this isn't exactly the serious philosophy thread.
You could say that Egan_BW's post was life-changing for you.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 178