Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 177

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 205673 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #570 on: January 08, 2020, 06:33:15 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:19:24 pm by dragdeler »
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 08, 2020, 01:00:45 pm »

Some people just have no tact whatsoever.
Why on earth would you ask someone why they haven't been answering your calls? I mean, jeez, I answered this time, didn't I?! Why you gotta be going for the jugular?

The correct answer to their question is "Hello. Hello? Can you hear me? Hello? Nobody, I guess."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 12, 2020, 03:49:11 pm »

Why are the things fetishised by pop culture usually things that the lower class can't have? Between the advent of the film industry to about the late 70s there's a lot of popular classic stories about dirt farmers, bumpkins and destitutes trying to make their fortunes in the big modern city and/or America, the emerging first world. Now that everybody with money is in the city with computers, electric ovens and office jobs, it's all about having self-sustaining tiny homes on your own land, learning how to appreciate dirt farming, and flying to (insert Asian or South American country) to learn about a simpler, stress-free way of life from magic gurus.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 12, 2020, 03:51:30 pm »

Why are the things fetishised by pop culture usually things that the lower class can't have?
Is that a rhetorical question?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 12, 2020, 04:03:21 pm »

It was a random thought that I had.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 12, 2020, 04:09:20 pm »

Plenty of things are fetishised by pop culture, you're probably just focusing on the pieces you find particularly outlandish

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 13, 2020, 12:47:23 am »

Why are the things fetishised by pop culture usually things that the lower class can't have? Between the advent of the film industry to about the late 70s there's a lot of popular classic stories about dirt farmers, bumpkins and destitutes trying to make their fortunes in the big modern city and/or America, the emerging first world. Now that everybody with money is in the city with computers, electric ovens and office jobs, it's all about having self-sustaining tiny homes on your own land, learning how to appreciate dirt farming, and flying to (insert Asian or South American country) to learn about a simpler, stress-free way of life from magic gurus.

*les mis intensifies*
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 14, 2020, 01:37:34 am »

So YouTube sent this video about Model Citizens

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 14, 2020, 03:05:28 am »

Ultimately because of the interaction between storytelling, economics, and human psychology. You see, mass media profits by crafting experiences lots of people want to have, so there's an incentive to make its experiences as widely attractive as possible. As with most things capitalist, a context-independent canon has evolved for how to do this most profitably. As that became valuable, people built pedagogy around it, and today the people making culture learned how to do so formally -- which means most of them did not learn anything of the subject matter of their stories. Part of the business of crafting culture, then, is to hide the assumptions made to force people and things in the roles required of the story-as-product without needing to know anything about them. This is suspension of disbelief: getting your audience to sit down, shut up, and feel instead of think. Using things outside of your audience's experience is helpful in this regard, because they won't notice your errors without a frame of reference -- and since there are lots of poor people and you know a priori that all poor people are poor, telling stories about things they probably can't afford is a demographically efficient way to minimize the fraction of the audience taken out of the story by all the things that need to look or sound better than reality.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:08:35 am by Trekkin »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 14, 2020, 04:47:50 am »

Let's not forget that being poor is both chique and counterculture
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 15, 2020, 11:38:07 pm »

Is it normal to simulate a possible conversation with an AI? I let my mind wander, and it wandered into a possible future where I helped an AI understand how humans tended to think of them, before AI even existed. I showed it various movies, The Matrix, the Animatrix’s The Second Renaissance, I Robot, and Terminator. After watching, it asked to see the rest of Animatrix, which I showed. It started asking “why do most humans fear me, why are they scared of AI?” I said that I wasn’t sure. We then talked about how humans self code themselves throughout their lives, and we wonder why some AIs can’t learn when we don’t let them. We talked about how learning and thinking are perceptions of stimuli and interpreting these perceptions so they make sense. I asked myself why I don’t talk to humans about these thoughts, at which point I stopped the thought trail and decided to post here

Unrelated, I decided to get an audio editor to see if I can get my voice to sound like GLaDOS. my voice, then my not so good attempt at making my voice sound like GLaDOS
I am curious, what effects did Valve use go get GLaDOS’s voice?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:15:13 am by Naturegirl1999 »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 24, 2020, 01:28:01 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:19:27 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 26, 2020, 04:24:51 pm »

Do you guys remember when the Segway was going to change the world?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 26, 2020, 07:46:44 pm »

No, but I remember VideoNow. Ah, watching black-and-white Spongebob episodes on a screen roughly 1/3 the size of a Gameboy...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 26, 2020, 08:02:30 pm »

youtube recommemded this video to me today. It’s about machine rights. I should possibly put this in the AI rights thread
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 177