Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 181

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 220515 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #720 on: March 13, 2020, 01:56:32 pm »

I started lurking around here in 2011 or 2012 and it took years to get the courage to join the forum and almost a year to pick a name,
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 13, 2020, 03:35:23 pm »

There were too many Grackles at lunch today, and they couldn't hear me in the drive thru while I was ordering.

I started lurking around here in 2011 or 2012 and it took years to get the courage to join the forum and almost a year to pick a name,

I don't generally join a forum until all of the good names are taken. I lurked here for a few years (partly because of DF release schedule) before joining.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 13, 2020, 03:49:51 pm »

I returned here from Italy just before the travel restrictions took effect.

I've had a dry cough for a bit now.

I don't seem to have any other COVID or flu-like symptoms, though, and it's been more than 14 days.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 20, 2020, 08:17:37 pm »

My wife's been on a Disney kick lately.

While I'm not a fan of 2D Disney in any way, shape or form--Pixar was my favorite as a young'un--you have to admire how concise these movies are. There's not a single wasted moment in the original Lion King, Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast, whereas the live-action versions add so much runtime just dicking around and building up useless side characters.

Also, Belle's original voice, Paige O'Hara, sounds incredibly familiar. But as far as I can tell, she's only ever played Belle, besides a few minor roles in things I've never seen.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:21:05 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 22, 2020, 05:12:26 am »

I fucking hate food websites.
All the ones I've come across in recent memory, they are packed with so much ridiculous bloat, from tips for sourcing ingredients to reviews of the recipe you haven't even seen yet amongst other meaningless blather - the one what inspired this rant treated me to a fuckin' paragraph on what a goddamn avocado is, ffs - presumably for the sole purpose of keeping you trapped in the purgatory of their poorly-designed website for as long as possible to maximise advertising dollars.   

Just about every time I google a recipe it leads to me feeling a fair bit of rage and a powerful urge to start my own bloody food website, stripped of all the unnecessary shite and just giving readers the recipe they want in as simple a format as possible, without them having to just about suffer an RSI scrolling down to the actual frickin' thing.   
Sometimes I feel similarly about journalism websites - just rip all the actual fucking content out of these ghastly websites and plonk it down somewhere else, to be perused more easily, free from all the auto-playing videos, paywalls and related article thumbnails that modern journalism decrees must be splashed all over your screen at every opportunity.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 22, 2020, 07:59:04 am »

http://www.whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com/index.php

The only website I like.
(I guess really it's cookstr, which has alright recipe info, though their ingredients are sometimes bloated.)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 22, 2020, 09:41:09 am »

All the ones I've come across in recent memory, they are packed with so much ridiculous bloat, from tips for sourcing ingredients to reviews of the recipe you haven't even seen yet amongst other meaningless blather - the one what inspired this rant treated me to a fuckin' paragraph on what a goddamn avocado is, ffs - presumably for the sole purpose of keeping you trapped in the purgatory of their poorly-designed website for as long as possible to maximise advertising dollars.   

Just about every time I google a recipe it leads to me feeling a fair bit of rage and a powerful urge to start my own bloody food website, stripped of all the unnecessary shite and just giving readers the recipe they want in as simple a format as possible, without them having to just about suffer an RSI scrolling down to the actual frickin' thing.   
Sometimes I feel similarly about journalism websites - just rip all the actual fucking content out of these ghastly websites and plonk it down somewhere else, to be perused more easily, free from all the auto-playing videos, paywalls and related article thumbnails that modern journalism decrees must be splashed all over your screen at every opportunity.   

From what I understand, a lot of the bloat on food sites has to do with search algorithm rankings. I don't fully understand SEO, but apparently writing a 1,000-word essay before the actual recipe is the way to get seen on Google.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 22, 2020, 10:32:38 am »

http://www.whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com/index.php

The only website I like.
(I guess really it's cookstr, which has alright recipe info, though their ingredients are sometimes bloated.)
simple, large print, high contrast, Caos lock, easy to read, easy to follow. I like this too

Unrelated: my dream(s)? was/were weird, more in the Dream Tread
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:35:14 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 22, 2020, 11:53:50 am »

My pepper grinder is a car.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 22, 2020, 12:26:29 pm »

does this mean you use your car to run over the peppercorn to grind it?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 23, 2020, 02:43:08 am »

Nope!

It means my pepper grinder is made by Peugeot, a car manufacturer.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 23, 2020, 08:08:42 am »

Nope!

It means my pepper grinder is made by Peugeot, a car manufacturer.
that does make more sense

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 23, 2020, 11:50:48 am »

Ctrl +f and search for something that would only be listed in the actual recipe ie "tsp". Hope it helps in the future.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 23, 2020, 02:11:17 pm »

that just means they'll start making the recipe an image
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile