Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 177

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 205679 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1650 on: September 20, 2021, 08:40:09 pm »

It's weird how often I'm reminded there's like multiple million people who will probably never forget the intonation of "Hey! Listen!"

If someone says Hey to me I usually respond by looking at them and replying, "Listen!"

I've caught someone dead in their tracks with it, once.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: September 21, 2021, 04:02:02 am »

What's that from?
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: September 21, 2021, 07:37:44 am »

Ocarina of Time, the first N64 zelda game. There's a famous/infamous character in it with a signature phrase -- first thing you hear from them, possibly the first voice you hear at all once you start the game, if I'm not misremembering -- of "Hey! Listen!"

They're largely considered one of the most godawful annoying characters in all of gaming :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: September 28, 2021, 03:13:20 am »

I'm sleepily thinking about our 10 grasping digits (I had been thinking about math stuff, including base 10).  I've got this notion that a species with 6 digits (2 fingers + thumb on each hand) would have very different ergonomic designs.  Like for a device with a hilt and trigger (like a power tool) - there are sufficient digits, sure, but could they comfortably handle one of our devices designed for 3 fingers together along the grip?  Or might they have two strong opposing thumbs with which to clutch things tight, then a dextrous "forefinger"?  Would that forefinger have more range of motion than our fingers, much like our fingers are flexible compared to our thumbs?

Or maybe their 3 digits would be equal, kinda like a grabber-claw where there's no thumb (or forefinger).  Surely that would result in some oddly shaped devices, from our perspective.

Or gosh what if they were left-handed /s
Anyway I didn't have any point, just random thoughts.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: September 29, 2021, 02:07:10 am »

Conjugating spanish verbs for nosotros (first person plural) puts amos at the end!  So like for "buscar", it's "Nosotros buscamos" for "we're looking/seeking".  That's so cute!  I can't help but think it's related to amo.  It's like you're saying "I am the people I care about are [doing X]".

It's kinda weird how English doesn't differentiate between singular and plural "you".  Tú and vosotros.  I guess the difference is usually clear in context.

What's not always clear in context is the difference between "first person plural" that includes or doesn't include the second person.  And yet I think both English and Spanish have that ambiguity, right?  So that telling someone "We will go" says nothing about whether they're expected to come along, except via secondary signals like emphasis.  Even in Spanish AFAICT.  In English you might emphasize "WE" (and drop the contraction) to exclude the second person, but that's pretty ambiguous without more context.

Eh I'm trying to recover my old Spanish and Latin lessons.  Conjugation is such a pain, but it's also sorta interesting sometimes.  And hey, it makes me thankful we don't gender every single noun :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: September 29, 2021, 02:39:52 am »

It's kinda weird how English doesn't differentiate between singular and plural "you".  Tú and vosotros.  I guess the difference is usually clear in context.

My wife struggles with the "general you" and "royal we" that is used in English. The general you (like "you never bite the hand that feeds you") is a tricky one - because although it is referring to "everybody" and is used for advice, it is also frequently actually referring to the 2nd person, but is meant to feel less direct.

Eh I'm trying to recover my old Spanish and Latin lessons.  Conjugation is such a pain, but it's also sorta interesting sometimes.

This is great, Rolan! I love hearing about this stuff.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: September 29, 2021, 06:36:41 am »

You used to have have that -- thou (tu) and you (vosotros). You just decided to go super formal for some reason and drop the singular/informal pronoun.
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: September 29, 2021, 09:19:43 am »

It's kinda weird how English doesn't differentiate between singular and plural "you".

"You" and "Y'all"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: September 29, 2021, 02:32:43 pm »

It's kinda weird how English doesn't differentiate between singular and plural "you".

"You" and "Y'all"
wrongly implying y'all isn't used as a singular you, I see :P
Ask not!
Ask!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: October 02, 2021, 06:57:26 am »

I didn't go and I don't think I will. Or maybe I will. IDK I just want to sleep through the day, nay, the week.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 04:27:44 am by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: October 07, 2021, 08:53:42 am »

How the fuck can one believe in intelligent design, we live in a universe where:

-Condensation drops can form on the nose.
-Static electricity water physics
-When you restrict like a 40th of the hole circumference of a plastic bag, the thing is very likely yo refuse to be emptied in one swoop.
-a 12cm² (3x4cm) surface has no issues blocking all small particles from falling out of 8cm wide ball of stringy material, unless you want don't want no small particles, then they will find a fucking way to get past professional sealing.

Not to mention those self proclaimiing top of the foodchain monkeys that roam the streets.

I just had a woman arrive at the parc, see me in my uniform, then proceed to stare around aimlessly. After an inordinate amount of eyerolling from myself I took it upon me to release her from her demons by saying hello. She proceeded to ask where her broken vacuum cleaner goes, I answer small electronics like, you know, it's written on the sign (and as opposed to big electro meaning fridges and washing machines). She answers it ain't that small. I sigh and give her ample time commenting to myself "i don't want to philosophize about semantics" she pulls out an extremly normal vacuum cleaner, houseware kind not even those big round ones with several strength settings. I take it put it into the small electro commenting "come on sure, we're not a linguistics institute small electronics is just how it is called". Tell her to put the rest in the metal container. She does a few spins around her self because I did not specify to put the plastic head somewhere else, I ignore her eventually she figures it out. Well all of that must have been so thought stimulating she sits in her car and drives off with a door open. Now here I fucked up I should have yelled stop like a madman. But the amount of times somebody doing something a stupid way got half indignated for mentionning you left this or you lost that, I opted not to thinking she must have her "reasons" to drive with an open door. She drives all the way toward the exit, smacking her door into a wall, on a downward path, that was quite the angle, possibly more than a dent.

edit: I've run an cringy amount of scenarios in my head... Poor woman, I regret the way I acted. It is very tiresome to do all the thinking for our visitors, and it's especially hurtful if that leads to them shutting you down (bonus points if they're bad listeners and do the mistake anyway, it's really not that rare). I just hope she isn't on her last dime or that my snark didn't make her spiral into learned helpness because she has an actual abusive dick at home who's is gonna flip out at the door. I'm pretty sure she rode straight away because she was embarrassed, I really don't believe she had any health issues preventing her from noticing. Hopefully it's just some paint scratched and she just thought to herself: "god I'm such an airhead".... anyway no intelligent design here, just stochastic misery and sparodic peaks of joy
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 02:03:13 pm by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: October 07, 2021, 07:42:02 pm »

Someone should make a call monitor thing that automatically hangs up if one side of the conversation gets too loud. Call it a hush module or somethin'. You use that, put in the business's ToS "all our phone lines will immediately disconnect you if you start yelling".

Then you make that shit ubiquitous, maybe enforced by national level law: All commercial and governmental phone lines have the hush module installed and active.

Quality of life for phone operators nation wide just straight skyrockets overnight.
Ask not!
Ask!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: October 07, 2021, 07:43:33 pm »

My grandmother will never have a call again.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: October 07, 2021, 07:46:19 pm »

There could maybe be some kind of national registry for folks that are hard of hearing, I'unno. There could be workarounds in those cases. It'd be optional for personal calls, probably, too.
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: October 07, 2021, 08:21:43 pm »

My grandmother will never have a call again.

WHAT?
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 177