Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why are goblins immortal?  (Read 6011 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Why are goblins immortal?
« on: April 03, 2018, 03:01:38 am »

I was wondering what could be the in game reason for goblins being immortal. Maybe because they are kind of like fallen, evil elves?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are goblins immortal?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 04:20:56 am »

Helps them spread out and take over the world?
Reasons are coming with Mythgen. Doesn't really matter right now.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 05:37:13 am »

I believe it's been stated they are minor demons escaped from hell (which also explains not needing to eat).

(If you count Threetoe's stories as lore that is)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 07:18:38 am by Manveru Taurënér »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 05:38:46 am »

If I recall correctly it is so that your sieges don't starve or die of old age, no particular lore reason.
let

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 07:10:11 am »

Because goblins farming is kind of silly.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 08:54:32 am »

I was looking for a 'lore reason' so I think Manevru's answer makes the most sense
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 03:56:46 pm »

I was looking for a 'lore reason' so I think Manevru's answer makes the most sense
It does, but it probably needs some kind of reference. They're lead by demons who escape from hell. Are they demons themselves?

And again, that's just now. A couple of years from now lore will be procedurally generated. That's why there isn't much in the way of actual lore. Why are elves immortal? Because Tolkien. Why do they eat people? Because fans.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 04:11:30 pm »

I believe it's been stated they are minor demons escaped from hell (which also explains not needing to eat).

(If you count Threetoe's stories as lore that is)

Though really that's just the case for whatever world Cado's Magical Journey takes place in. The origins for each race will be different for individual worlds with mythgen's arrival (at least I would hope so, having any fixed non-procedural lore seems contrary to the spirit of the game IMO).

EDIT: Shonai already beat me to the point I was trying to make, looks like. :P But yeah, basically there will be worlds where goblins are fallen elves/fallen dwarves/crapped out of the butt of a giant space lizard/etc.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 04:17:35 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 08:47:29 pm »

Because that makes them more scary.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 05:21:19 pm »

I was wondering what could be the in game reason for goblins being immortal. Maybe because they are kind of like fallen, evil elves?
Goblins and Elves in lore seem to produce viable offspring. They could just be two variants of the same species, or very closely-related sub-species. Or as you say, there has been some nefarious meddling and interactions done by some higher powers to diverge the two kinds. Even if goblins and elves have different species origins and are two distinct species, goblins may have their own immortality from their own developments independent of elves.
I personally believe the theory that goblins are fallen elves is propaganda spread by the elves themselves, to make themselves feel more important ;P

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 12:09:42 pm »

which also explains not needing to eat
goblins are carnivores but they don't need to eat because carnivores don't get hungry for some reason (not a goblin exclusive thing)
I believe it's been stated they are minor demons escaped from hell
makes sense considering they CAN'T exist without a demon escaping hell.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 07:12:57 pm »

which also explains not needing to eat
goblins are carnivores but they don't need to eat because carnivores don't get hungry for some reason (not a goblin exclusive thing)

This is completely, entirely wrong, they don't need to eat because they have NO_EAT and carnivores definitely do get hungry

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 11:25:43 pm »

In the course of forging his servants, from the various races he had collected in the Pit of Angband, the First Dark Lord Morgoth infused them with a piece of his own will and essence. A circular thread, forged from his own corrupt, divine essence, which plays an infinite loop of his own burning hatred and cruelty inside them.

For this reason all of his children, not just the orcs and goblins who can claim elven heritage, but the rock trolls and fire dragons are all descended from the fallen Valar himself. Unless killed they do not die.

They are demigods.

It was this habit of weaving parts of himself into his many creations that ultimately left him frail enough to be defeated by mortal arms, even at great cost. His successors are generally mindful to improve on his methods, even as they use the tools he left behind.

Oh, you mean in DF?

Yeah, your answer makes sense.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 07:00:09 pm »

Insert Armok and your answer works too ;)

No, seriously, The theory that goblins and elves are related is very plausible. besides being immortal, they are also the same size at adult and become children and adults at the same age (1 and 12 respectively). besides the immortal part, these traits are however also found in dwarves, making it plausible that all races are in fact related to each other.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 07:40:18 pm »

Insert Armok and your answer works too ;)

No, seriously, The theory that goblins and elves are related is very plausible. besides being immortal, they are also the same size at adult and become children and adults at the same age (1 and 12 respectively). besides the immortal part, these traits are however also found in dwarves, making it plausible that all races are in fact related to each other.

elven lies
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.
Pages: [1] 2 3