Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why are goblins immortal?  (Read 5996 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are goblins immortal?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 07:54:29 pm »

Why do they eat people? Because fans.
I thought it was because that was something the original fae did sometimes

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 10:07:01 pm »

Why do they eat people? Because fans.
I thought it was because that was something the original fae did sometimes
It is, but the fact that elves express some of the darker sides of fae is inspired by fan dislike of elves. In other words, they didn't always eat people; they only started after Toady observed how players regarded elves.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 10:52:53 pm »

Is that actually true? Cannibal elves are a rather common trope, even in video games; Elder Scrolls was doing it with Bosmer in the '90s.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 07:58:33 am »

I think Today said it was either them or the goblins and that he went with the elves because of the community memes, but I can't remember where it was. Future of the fortress or an interview, I guess?

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 03:15:16 am »

Was it Dark Sun were halflings are cannibals. But might be half-elves and elves occasionally also do that in that setting? Don't remember its like 15 years ago since I played that. But maybe he was inspired by that?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 11:51:17 am »

so if the only real reason for immortal gobbos is to prevent sieges dying of old age - i suggest setting their maxlife a little higher and not make them immortal at all. or would death of old age of maybe 2 gobbos during a siege break/crash the game?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 02:52:07 pm »

I dunno, do humans ever die of old age during a seige?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 03:37:06 pm »

tbh i never had war with humans.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 03:46:43 pm »

so if the only real reason for immortal gobbos is to prevent sieges dying of old age - i suggest setting their maxlife a little higher and not make them immortal at all. or would death of old age of maybe 2 gobbos during a siege break/crash the game?
Or just stick with the current plans and procedurally generate lore with Mythgen. No point in replacing one temporary situation with another.

You can set the maximum age of goblins to anything you like, no reason to stick with vanilla settings if you don't like them. That's why he makes the game customizable.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 03:47:54 pm »

Or just stick with the current plans and procedurally generate lore with Mythgen. No point in replacing one temporary situation with another.

You can set the maximum age of goblins to anything you like, no reason to stick with vanilla settings if you don't like them. That's why he makes the game customizable.
true.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 02:18:23 am »

They should, if any are old enough.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2018, 05:41:03 am »

If the game doesn't crash from humans dieing in a  seige from old age then I don't know why it would for goblins.   

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 06:00:41 am »

If the game doesn't crash from humans dieing in a  seige from old age then I don't know why it would for goblins.
maybe it did in a very early version and this is the workaround that became unnecessary.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 04:11:00 pm »

Or maybe it's just a feature goblins have.
Alfador - This is probably more of a bug than an easter egg... but goblins, apparently, live for centuries. Over a thousand years, in fact.
JT - "Oversight", I would call it.  Goblins have no MAXAGE tag.
Toady One - That's actually a feature.  Goblins are meant to die violent deaths.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 05:17:22 pm »

The nature of goblins in DF is designed to overcome the logical difficulties that arise when you try to imagine a stereotypical "evil" race.

Goblins live in places that other races find inhospitable.  Glaciers, deserts, swamps - places that aren't good at growing food.  What do they eat?

Raiding and pillaging villages for food only works if your "horde" is relatively small.  It isn't a sustainable strategy for a huge civilization.

(As I recall Lord of the Rings actually addressed this issue with orcs - there actually is farmable land in Mordor where the orcs grow crops, the main characters just never pass through that particular region.  But when people think of orcs they generally don't think of farming.)

Since DF is supposed to simulate things more-or-less realistically, the logistics of sustaining a huge population of goblins becomes unreasonable.  The solution?  They just don't need to eat.

And they are immortal so there is always a huge population of them to throw at the civilized races at their borders.
Pages: 1 [2] 3