Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Stained Glass 32x32 v1.2 [Updated 4-29]  (Read 18344 times)

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stained Glass 32x32 v1.2 [Updated 4-29]
« on: April 04, 2018, 02:25:32 pm »

Update: 1.2 Changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1.1 Changelog:

Dwarf Fortress is a work of art, and deserves to be displayed as such.

Tileset:

Volcano Fort :

Caverns :

Some rooms:

Rough walls :

"Manuscript" is an included secondary tileset for TWBT users, the glass background is removed for cleaner text. It is also v1.2, and considered a work in progress.
Square:
Non-Square:

Download : http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13693

Future of the Glass:
 I will eventually begin work on an expanded twbt set with more unique sprites and possibly creatures.

For those looking for creature tiles, it could be a long time before I have any up, so I highly recommend Oab's 32x32 set. While the styles are quite different, the bright colors and large single color panels of the Oab set work well with this one.

Suggestions and feedback are appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 01:43:06 pm by monkeyfritz »
Dabbling Tilesetter produced a masterwork Ж ƦūɳϵsϵŦ Ж

Dabbling Tilesetter enters a strange mood.
Dabbling Tilesetter hastily scribbles pictures of Stained Glass

ThoMeuhGal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stained Glass WIP
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 05:24:48 pm »

Very pretty! I love the style, so beautiful and easy on the eyes

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stained Glass WIP
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 12:19:40 am »

Very stylistic. Would love to see creature sprites as well.

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stained Glass WIP Update 4/9
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 07:30:22 pm »

Updated! 60% there. New pics up top.

ThoMeuhGal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 06:23:24 am »

It's beautiful! I could look at those gifs for hour! I also like that it allows the imagination to work like ASCII while at the same time being gorgeous and have a very unified and coherent look.

The only criticism I can think of is that maybe the dwarves sprites could stand out a little more?
Also do you plan to make a version using TWBT transparency (which allow to see the ground behind sprites, for exemple you could see the proper smoothed floor behind a dwarf instead of having the same generic background behind everything that move with it)?

Great job anyway, I love it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:25:55 am by ThoMeuhGal »

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 08:02:00 am »

It's beautiful! I could look at those gifs for hour! I also like that it allows the imagination to work like ASCII while at the same time being gorgeous and have a very unified and coherent look.

The only criticism I can think of is that maybe the dwarves sprites could stand out a little more?
Also do you plan to make a version using TWBT transparency (which allow to see the ground behind sprites, for exemple you could see the proper smoothed floor behind a dwarf instead of having the same generic background behind everything that move with it)?

Great job anyway, I love it.

Thanks!

I'll look into how to do transparency when it's done I think. I'll need to do a seperate tileset though, so non-twbt users don't get black backgrounds on chrs.

The dwarf currently is a bit of a joke, and probably not going to remain (he might though, idk). My wife saw me working on the letter Y and said "That looks like a crying dwarf" so I made it into a crying dwarf. And then gave the military dwarf some angry eyebrows. lol

I think they look too much like Worms (from the games) though, so I want to come up with something better.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 09:22:30 am »

Those walls...  :o They look extremely well made, congrats. The corners must have taken ages.

What resolution is the set?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 11:44:25 am »

Those walls...  :o They look extremely well made, congrats. The corners must have taken ages.

What resolution is the set?

Thanks! And they did, lol.

It's 32x32. I should add that to the post.

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stained Glass 32x32 WIP Update 4-9
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 12:01:23 pm »

Wow, I love this. It looks like I might have to get my head around a more abstract ASCII style rather than cartoonish one but I am looking forward to it. Great balance between an ASCII feel but also making it much more visually stimulating. I think your tileset looks like it is really living up to it's name, lovely aesthetics. Keep up the good work. I also just noticed the dwarf tiles are slightly perplexed looking dwarf faces, love it, great homage to the original ASCII. I just read you were thinking of changing them :( . If you do do creatures I would love to see more of the same face based style for them if practical.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 12:11:52 pm by Llamageddon »

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 01:06:05 pm »

I also just noticed the dwarf tiles are slightly perplexed looking dwarf faces, love it, great homage to the original ASCII. I just read you were thinking of changing them :( . If you do do creatures I would love to see more of the same face based style for them if practical.

Well the only comments on them have been positive so far, so I may not change them after all. I just thought they were a little too silly next to the rest of the set.

Faces is what i settled on in the creature tests I did do, but the ones I liked were really hard to see in game. I might try again at some point more like the dwarf, with just the eyes and such instead of a full face. It may work.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 03:20:41 pm »

Well, if you need 32x32 animal sprites, you can borrow some from my set. :)

Not sure if you want to use TWBT at all, but you can make unique wall-sprites for: Constructed walls, rock walls, mineral/ore walls, ice walls, obsidian walls, slade walls...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 06:30:37 am »

it is surprisingly easy on the eye, but i think i'll never get used to ascii graphics.
i like the style though.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 08:57:33 am »

Really Really cool/beautifull idea.

One idea. Test to see if making the borders of the glasses, really dark/black (like seen at the picture), instead of your grayish (bluish gray if river) would make it better.

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 11:10:24 am »

Small but big update: I haven't made any new tiles, but I spent an inordinate amount of time working on a new floor tile. The old one was looking too busy and out of place with the style. I think I spent more time on this one tile than all the walls together.   :-\

But I think it was worth it, the smoothed floors and engraved tiles there are still the same tile. Lot's of alpha wizardry going on. :)

Also updated the Door, and Pillar tiles. The door not only makes a nice engraved door, it also continues to work as a river tile on the map. Which is nice.

The tiling effect on the walls is a little borked atm, so I'll have to go back and fix that. Still have 62 unfinished tiles to go, if anyone wants to keep score...

Well, if you need 32x32 animal sprites, you can borrow some from my set. :)

Not sure if you want to use TWBT at all, but you can make unique wall-sprites for: Constructed walls, rock walls, mineral/ore walls, ice walls, obsidian walls, slade walls...

Thanks! I might do that.

I'm thinking of doing an expanded TWBT set after this is complete, but I'm already sinking a ton of time into finishing this base set, so that could take years, lol.

Really Really cool/beautifull idea.

One idea. Test to see if making the borders of the glasses, really dark/black (like seen at the picture), instead of your grayish (bluish gray if river) would make it better.

So I actually started with solid black, but in my early tests it was too busy looking and broken up, the tiles just didn't blend together well. The other problem with 'black' is that it needs to be hard edges, and this style relies quite heavily on blurred edges and gradients to get detail out of a very limited number of pixels.

But I did take your suggestion and darken it up quite a bit, and it does look a lot better.

The lines still end up colored grey/blue/brown depending on the tile, but it's a lot darker and more like light bleed.  :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:34:24 am by monkeyfritz »

ThoMeuhGal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stained Glass 32x32 WIP Update 4-13
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 12:48:59 pm »

Yummy!
So the ones with the "+" are smoothed and when there is also a circle around it and an X there are engraved right?

The transition between lines (so at the top and bottom of the tile) is great and give a great crystal tiles feel.

But the transition between columns (so left and right of the tile) seems slightly off in comparison, like a couple pixels were cropped or something. I'm nitpicking though, or maybe it's just me.

I'm also getting more and more fond of that dwarf though, I would totally use him as an icon for DF/LNP launcher  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4