Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Stained Glass 32x32 v1.2 [Updated 4-29]  (Read 18382 times)

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stained Glass 32x32 WIP Update 4-13
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 01:09:39 pm »

Yummy!
So the ones with the "+" are smoothed and when there is also a circle around it and an X there are engraved right?

Correct!

The transition between lines (so at the top and bottom of the tile) is great and give a great crystal tiles feel.

But the transition between columns (so left and right of the tile) seems slightly off in comparison, like a couple pixels were cropped or something. I'm nitpicking though, or maybe it's just me.

I'm also getting more and more fond of that dwarf though, I would totally use him as an icon for DF/LNP launcher  ;D

Good catch, the "grid" got buffed out too much. Easy fix.

:)
Dabbling Tilesetter produced a masterwork Ж ƦūɳϵsϵŦ Ж

Dabbling Tilesetter enters a strange mood.
Dabbling Tilesetter hastily scribbles pictures of Stained Glass

ThoMeuhGal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 01:28:55 pm »

There you go!  :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 01:37:39 pm »

I feel like it looks a bit too busy. Maybe a darker shade for the + in the center?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 02:09:12 pm »

when converting to stained glass, big tiles with less detail are better  input material.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 02:40:37 pm »

More like this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ThoMeuhGal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 03:23:42 pm »

yeah that's better

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 02:32:25 pm »

Some furniture tiles:

More screens:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aaaand, I changed the floor tile again. Needed something that worked on both dark and light floors, which the last one didn't.
Still probably not done with it, it's like this set's white whale or something.

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stained Glass 32x32 WIP Update 4-15
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 11:05:13 pm »

Looking good. I can tell what they all are, not very DF. ;) If you're still tweaking them what do you think of a more abstact/ascii look, kind of like you have done with the dwarves? Looking forward to seeing the other civs too. Keep up the good work, the style you're going for is progressing well.

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 02:45:06 am »

Looking good. I can tell what they all are, not very DF. ;) If you're still tweaking them what do you think of a more abstact/ascii look, kind of like you have done with the dwarves? Looking forward to seeing the other civs too. Keep up the good work, the style you're going for is progressing well.

I started with that in mind, a lot of people seem to like the heavy ascii influence.

There's two conflicting styles here where I hit a wall design wise. I kinda did the ascii thing with cabinets, mechanisms and hatch covers. The cabinet is a straight up Pi symbol with an open door, the mechanism is the olde english version of the c thing with an added gear background, and the hatch cover is a rotated cent sign to look more like the handle it's supposed to represent. And the stepladder is still Acii based with olde english flair.

But then the statues ,beds, pots, etc are all such abstractions to begin with that style didn't work. The bed, kind of, if I make a tiny bed inside a circle, but I thought it was silly looking. So then I just tried to make things that fit with the cabinet and mechanism and went from there.

Then I shared the result and took a break for a day.  :)

Coming back to it, the answer might be staring me in the face with the mechanism design: just slap the ascii symbol on top of the current tiles. I'll try that out tomorrow and see how it works.

Another idea I've had is to make more than one set. I want to finish a complete 256 vanilla friendly sheet first, as "Stained Glass Simple" or some such name, and then start work on a twbt expanded set. I can always move the "sprites" into the expanded set and go full ascii later, or even have a third "Stained Glass Classic" set without even a semblance of sprites. Ideally I still want a good blend for the base set, the mechanism and cabinet at least are good example of that, I'm pretty happy with those two.

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 01:00:31 pm »

Nice, I didn't notice the cabinet was a Pi style, looks like a cabinet. Good middle ground. The mechanism one looks great too I saw it as a mechanism on the first glance. One minor point is that I find it looks a bit too busy as an image compared to some of the other more minimalist tiles.

I might have the hatch cover wrong, is it on the second row on the far right? I thought it might be two left of that, which looks a bit like a backpack to me. I like that it's all quite abstract so careful not to get too worried if people like me see backpacks instead of hatch covers ;) . I am now wondering what the two tiles on the second row far right are and also the U's  (first row fourth from the left).

The font style you are going with looks really good, even things like the % and £ signs fit in nicely. Combined with the collage effect of the stained glass style means most of the tiles naturally "fit" together stylistically.

On the third screenshot, around the 5th line down is a good example of this. The purple and blue dwarves amongst the more ascii style tiles really work well together. The dwarves and the stairs there are great middle gound between having high fidelity images of furniture and totally abstract alphabetic characters. I prefer the sharper lines of those to the softer edges and geometry of the tables and chairs right now.

In fact, looking back I kind of prefer the approach from the OP screenshots. It's the sharper lines that appeal more to me given the theme. Sweeping angles and bolder edges really sell the 'Stained Glass' ambience of this tile set so far. The more pictographic grass and gem tiles along with dwarves go great with the theme as well as the more character based ascii-like ones.

This has just made me think about your new floor tile. The design looks good and the alpha wizardry is great. The transition from rough to smooth to engraved goes really well. I like how you have subtly kept the same lines from the rough texture behind the smoothed and engraved ones, it brings the tile theme together well.

I look forward to seeing more.

Edit: I just realised what a great balance between ascii and not it is. I'd usually find this a little bit abstract for my tastes but not at all. I think the dwarves are great for this, they conjure up images of the unmodded DF dwarves and get you in the mood for a more minimalist tileset.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:07:52 pm by Llamageddon »

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 09:28:24 pm »

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback, it's really appreciated. :)

Nice, I didn't notice the cabinet was a Pi style, looks like a cabinet. Good middle ground. The mechanism one looks great too I saw it as a mechanism on the first glance. One minor point is that I find it looks a bit too busy as an image compared to some of the other more minimalist tiles.

I might have the hatch cover wrong, is it on the second row on the far right? I thought it might be two left of that, which looks a bit like a backpack to me. I like that it's all quite abstract so careful not to get too worried if people like me see backpacks instead of hatch covers ;) . I am now wondering what the two tiles on the second row far right are and also the U's  (first row fourth from the left).

The backpack one is the hatch cover, the other is a pillar. :P

I've changed the background in the hatchcover though, I wanted it to fit in with the floor tiles better. So no more backpack, lol.

The u and "P+" are buckets and stepladders, currently just the olde english versions of the ascii characters.

I prefer the sharper lines of those to the softer edges and geometry of the tables and chairs right now.

In fact, looking back I kind of prefer the approach from the OP screenshots. It's the sharper lines that appeal more to me given the theme. Sweeping angles and bolder edges really sell the 'Stained Glass' ambience of this tile set so far. The more pictographic grass and gem tiles along with dwarves go great with the theme as well as the more character based ascii-like ones.

My new tiles combining the ascii (or the olde enlish styled ascii) with the sprites are working pretty well, but I am going back to the original table and chair. They started to feel out of place once I finished the walls, but I agree they fit the style better than the new ones.

I've got half of the reworked furniture done, but I've decided to take a break from them and knock out some or all of the remaining tiles. Apart from the furniture, most of what is left should be relatively simple to finish, and I can hopefully get the set nearer completion tomorrow.

I want to get it done before the stress fix is out so I can play it. :P
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:30:32 pm by monkeyfritz »

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 02:50:55 pm »

When will it be available for download?

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 03:33:07 pm »

When will it be available for download?

Soon. Probably not today, but maybe tomorrow.

Don't hold your breath or anything, but I'm trying to finish off the last remaining tiles over the next few hours. I do have 2 kids, though, so time is relative. :P

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 10:25:43 pm »

Looking forward to trying this. Great to see a nice big, stylish set that'll Just Work in vanilla DF. How does the text look? (Sorry if I missed a screenshot somewhere).

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 01:08:48 am »

Looking forward to trying this. Great to see a nice big, stylish set that'll Just Work in vanilla DF. How does the text look? (Sorry if I missed a screenshot somewhere).

Well, it looks pretty! That's all that matters, right?  ;D

It's about as easy to read as a 14th century manuscript. So, not very. I plan to include a version without the glass effect for twbt users, it's what I've been using in testing. I may have to make one with just the text cleaned up for vanilla users, but that still depends on how readable you find the olde english font in the first place, and will leave creatures without backgrounds.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4