Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Stained Glass 32x32 v1.2 [Updated 4-29]  (Read 18392 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stained Glass 32x32 WIP Update 4-15
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2018, 01:21:22 am »

Looking forward to trying this. Great to see a nice big, stylish set that'll Just Work in vanilla DF. How does the text look? (Sorry if I missed a screenshot somewhere).

Well, it looks pretty! That's all that matters, right?  ;D

It's about as easy to read as a 14th century manuscript. So, not very. I plan to include a version without the glass effect for twbt users, it's what I've been using in testing. I may have to make one with just the text cleaned up for vanilla users, but that still depends on how readable you find the olde english font in the first place, and will leave creatures without backgrounds.
Ha. Will give it a try and let you know. Olde English fonts don't trouble me too much.

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stained Glass 32x32 v1.0 !!! [Updated 4-19]
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2018, 05:28:15 pm »

Dabbling Tilesetter produced a masterwork Ж ƦūɳϵsϵŦ Ж

Dabbling Tilesetter enters a strange mood.
Dabbling Tilesetter hastily scribbles pictures of Stained Glass

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2018, 07:31:34 pm »

I'm just trying it now, but I thought I should mention, your DFFD description for TWBT could be a bit misleading. It doesn't seem clear that you should make the font manuscript.png and the graphics font StainedGlass. So far I only have good things to say but I will reserve that after having played a bit more. Great work.

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2018, 08:36:05 pm »

I'm just trying it now, but I thought I should mention, your DFFD description for TWBT could be a bit misleading. It doesn't seem clear that you should make the font manuscript.png and the graphics font StainedGlass. So far I only have good things to say but I will reserve that after having played a bit more. Great work.

I added a couple more lines, hopefully that helps prevent any missunderstanding.

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2018, 09:03:51 pm »

Well I am loving it. Those dwarves are still so wonderful, I love their faces. The mapgen looks really pretty with your tileset too and you colour choices are a really refreshing change. I like how the table and chairs have evolved.

I also really like the font. It looks great but I would love to see a thinner typeset. The text takes up huge ammounts of screen space and is harder to read because it is all so spaced out. Do you think you could make a less square font?

For instance, workshop text goes off the edge of the widest tab available.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can see how big the spacing is on the embark blurb.

And how it can take up over a third of the screen.

I do love it though, the text spacing is my only real gripe. The font goes really well with the theme. Plus there might be some simple init/twbt setting I am missing that could help with the character spacing.

Cats also seem somehow cuter with your olde English font. :D I'm enjoying playing it closer to it's ascii roots. I could tell horses, dogs and cats straight away. Though if you wanted to make them more pictographic yet abstract in the style of you dwarves, chairs, stairs etc. I reckon that could work also.

Anyway, I decided to have a break when summer came. This is my very quickly built ad-hoc fort so far.

I'm looking forward to playing more and seeing how you choose to develop it further. Great work.

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2018, 09:21:30 pm »

Well the spacing I can partially fix, because the text was designed to be center of it's glass tile, there is a lot of excess spacing that doesn't need to be there. Manuscript is just a straight copy at the moment, so I can get that cleaned up better.

The rest of those issues, I think, is just because it's a square tileset. I might try out a non-square version of Manuscript. Actual fonts aren't square outside of DF tilesets because of spacing, and DF's menus are made with non square ascii in mind.

I'll see what I can do with the next version.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 10:56:07 pm »

I'm sure you are aware, but TWBT can help with that. Use the 32x32 for the game and a ... 12x24 or so for the text. That's how several tilesets save some space.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2018, 03:27:05 am »

I'm sure you are aware, but TWBT can help with that. Use the 32x32 for the game and a ... 12x24 or so for the text. That's how several tilesets save some space.
yes, i do so. i use mephs for the game and 800x600curse for the font.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stained Glass 32x32 v1.1 !!! [Updated 4-20]
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2018, 10:50:42 am »

1.1 Changelog:

•    Increased the contrast on lower case characters, so creatures are a bit easier to see.
  •    Slightly adjusted military dwarf contrast
  •    Manuscript is now non-square (the square versions are still included)
  •    Clean text version added for non-twbt users.

Kraiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2018, 01:29:19 pm »

EDIT: Figured it out, I did not rename the colors_stanedglass file.

I can't seem to get it to work. I am running DFhack, and have changed the lines where I need to, but the games loads to a blank screen. I have pasted in the copy of the init file. The manuscript (science) is being used for the first to lines and is located in the art folder with the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:29:03 pm by Kraiger »
This is a masterful image of Machunguroho, Torchsilver, the alicorn, a dark iron bastard sword, a volcanic aurum battle axe, a felsteel heater shield, and an emerald golem. The golem has been struck down. Torchsilver is making a triumphant pose.

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2018, 02:17:49 pm »

Thanks for the update for the font monkey. It is looking a lot more pleasant to read and the right menu in the main view now takes up a lot less space.

The font looks so good but I must admit it is a bit cryptic at times. Takes a bit of concentration to read compared to more mundane fonts. Won't stop me using it though as it is part of the whole theme/atmoshere for me. It might be a bit of a hastle whilst you are still tweaking other elements of the tileset but I wonder if there is any middle ground between the 'hardcore' manuscript font and the conventional but mundane, typical fonts. I'm not sure if it is really possible without loosing a lot of what makes the font so interesting.

Certainly don't change it for any objects/creatures you are planning on representing just using letters, they are really great, especially as it is not so important that you are using literal a 'c' for a cat as much as it is that you are using a conceptual 'c' for a cat.

This is completely unrelated but when I was checking out the new font I discovered my dwarf  likes 'wagon' wood particularly. Imagine if he made a mandate with it.  ::)

@Kraiger, only thing I can think of off the top of my head is, are you using TWB plugin for DFhack? I am not sure but I don't think the manuscript font will work properly without it. Even so, loading to a blank screen sounds wrong. Do you know if it is not displaying or actually frozen? Could be a problem with DFhack initialising if it is the latter.

You could always try the vanilla font that monkeyfritz included in the 1.1 update, that should work with or without TWBT.

If you are using TWBT then I notice you still have [PRINT_MODE:2D] try [PRINT_MODE:TWBT] also I notice you have [GRAPHICS:NO] I am not certain about that one, as this is a tileset rather than a graphics pack but I have mine set to YES and it seems to be working.

Kraiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2018, 02:29:58 pm »

Hello @Llamageddon

I figured it out, I did not rename the colors_stanedglass file to colors.txt. Thanks!
This is a masterful image of Machunguroho, Torchsilver, the alicorn, a dark iron bastard sword, a volcanic aurum battle axe, a felsteel heater shield, and an emerald golem. The golem has been struck down. Torchsilver is making a triumphant pose.

Garfink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2018, 06:37:06 am »

Do the gem floors and carpets have a effect on room quality?  If so how much compared to the other room improvements?  (For me your tileset have replaced my long loved spacefox tileset (the first set I learnt how to play DF on, watching Dastactic's videos.)

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 02:43:45 pm »

Do the gem floors and carpets have a effect on room quality?  If so how much compared to the other room improvements?  (For me your tileset have replaced my long loved spacefox tileset (the first set I learnt how to play DF on, watching Dastactic's videos.)

Glad you like it. :)

I'm not actually sure about that one myself. If you mean in my screens, any gems on the floor are just lazy dwarfs (or lack of stockpiles). I do use them as walls, but mostly because I don't want to redesign my rooms after they have been mined. :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:45:50 pm by monkeyfritz »

monkeyfritz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2018, 01:12:52 pm »

I've done some twbt transparency tests, and I'm not really sure about it. While it makes a few details better, like cats, dogs, and dwarfs standing out a bit better on average, it kinda loses the glass effect. In most cases, the effect just disappears. It still looks okay, and doesn't exactly clash with the rest of the tiles, but it feels like a pretty weighty style loss.

It's kinda there on unsmoothed stone or outdoor tiles, and looks decent with livestock running around. But I'm not sure it's really much of an improvement over them having their own background. Especially compared to the loss indoors.

You really see the loss with stockpiles, it doesn't even look like the glass anymore, and any dwarves or creatures just get lost in the mess.

I also did a mockup of some creature graphics (Borrowing Meph's domesticated animals) to try out a simple style idea, they at least worked well with transparency.

Idk if I like that style or not, I have another in mind that I'm not even sure I can pull off. If it even works, I'll do some comparisons before moving forward with creature graphics.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4