Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [CURE] tag for syndromes  (Read 1911 times)

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
[CURE] tag for syndromes
« on: April 25, 2018, 04:29:29 pm »

This would remove the effects of the syndrome, either gradually removing them or instantly diminishing them.

Some examples:

Code: [Select]
Arguments: Material:TIME:x or MATERIAL:INSTANT
[CURE:PLANT:PLUMP_HELMET:TIME:4800] *4 days

[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:cave spider bite]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:SPIDER_CAVE:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED]
                        [CURE:VENOM:CAVE_SPIDER] (incorrect?)
[CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:10:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:START:5:PEAK:100]  never ends!

This would mean that if you are able to milk a cave spider’s venom (via extraction), a medical dwarf (maybe a new job to administer medicine) would bring him/her the venom and ask him/her to drink it, curing the literally never-ending headache.
No amount of mods is too much

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
Re: [CURE] tag for syndromes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 07:11:23 pm »

ah!! this feature has been sorely absent for so long. having a way to cure syndromes would be invaluable, both as a way to save dwarves that strayed too close to a patch of deadly dust and to lessen the impact of the aforementioned cave spider bites...

I'm thinking that forgotten beasts would have their own randomly generated cures for their respective associated syndromes, which could be discovered by the chief medical dwarf researching a piece of the forgotten beast or a sample of the syndrome-giving substance - alternatively, a forgotten beast who has been encountered before might have had the cure for its syndromes recorded into literature at an earlier date... imagine, a dwarf frantically flipping through the pages of history, trying desperately to find something, anything that could help save the lives of the brave soldiers...!

only to find that this particular syndrome is incurable, ahaha.

edit: - good grief, why must this editor continually delete my progress?! - cures should have some form of potency, as should syndromes themselves; one or even a few cave spider bites might be cured by a single serving of their cure, while fifty all taken in quick succession should prove much harder to overcome - and some might be so powerful as to be effectively untreatable before death. presumably, the default behaviour of the current version is due to a dwarf's liver slowly dealing with the toxins

edit: I forgot to mention - cures should have some kind of potency, as should syndromes. a few cave spider bites might be cured with a single serving of the cure, while a thousand such bites all at once might
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:25:25 pm by Su »

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 08:16:11 pm »

ah!! this feature has been sorely absent for so long. having a way to cure syndromes would be invaluable, both as a way to save dwarves that strayed too close to a patch of deadly dust and to lessen the impact of the aforementioned cave spider bites...

I'm thinking that forgotten beasts would have their own randomly generated cures for their respective associated syndromes, which could be discovered by the chief medical dwarf researching a piece of the forgotten beast or a sample of the syndrome-giving substance - alternatively, a forgotten beast who has been encountered before might have had the cure for its syndromes recorded into literature at an earlier date... imagine, a dwarf frantically flipping through the pages of history, trying desperately to find something, anything that could help save the lives of the brave soldiers...!

only to find that this particular syndrome is incurable, ahaha.

edit: - good grief, why must this editor continually delete my progress?! - cures should have some form of potency, as should syndromes themselves; one or even a few cave spider bites might be cured by a single serving of their cure, while fifty all taken in quick succession should prove much harder to overcome - and some might be so powerful as to be effectively untreatable before death. presumably, the default behaviour of the current version is due to a dwarf's liver slowly dealing with the toxins

edit: I forgot to mention - cures should have some kind of potency, as should syndromes. a few cave spider bites might be cured with a single serving of the cure, while a thousand such bites all at once might

I can tell you had some trouble with the editor, read over it again :P

Anyway, potency sounds like a great idea, as does Generated Syndrome cures.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:21:13 pm »

I kind of think the cave spider thing is an oversight.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:01:34 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 11:38:03 pm »

This could also be used to generate "find the cure" quests for adventurers.  Someone has fallen ill and the only cure is a rare herb grown in another country...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 12:02:09 am »

This could also be used to generate "find the cure" quests for adventurers.  Someone has fallen ill and the only cure is a rare herb grown in another country...

That is a pretty common fantasy plot, so no doubt Toady will implement that.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 04:01:10 pm »

Then why didn’t they correct it?

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 09:04:35 pm »

one could ask a similar question about giant scorpions. a toad does as it pleases!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 09:22:40 pm »

I mean, DF is not flawless, and I doubt it will ever be completely bug-free. By the time of DF 01.00.00 aka full release, ironing out all the bugs would take about as much time as developing it, i.e 20-ish years. It's better to just fix the important stuff and devote more time to developing DF, fixing all these little bugs is wasted time that could be spent on the Myth release. ;D
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 10:11:28 pm »

Some of the game's bugs are fixable through simple modding as well.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 02:10:55 pm »

Two big topic branches are Chemistry and Medicine. Once Toady further develops the knowledge system, I bet that we'll see cures for diseases.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 03:31:47 pm »

What about negative severities? For exemple we could have the following, for opium as a painkiller:

[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:opium]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_INGESTED]
[CE_PAIN:SEV:-1000:PROB:100:START:5:PEAK:100:END:200]
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 07:09:37 pm »

The only report I see on the bug tracker was closed by someone who isn't Toady, citing the raws as evidence it's "working as intended". That doesn't prove the raws are correct, and I doubt Toady's going to see a closed report. Maybe I'll ask in the FotF thread.
Edit: Looks like there's a comment in the raws stating that it never ends.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:01:18 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?