Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switching back and forth  (Read 2719 times)

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
Switching back and forth
« on: April 06, 2018, 08:15:48 am »

I want to know the limits of what I can do with dfhack's mode command and the lair settings.

If there's a discussion of this that clarifies my confusion, please point me to it!  I'm probably doing this all wrong.

Seems I can retire and return or bring in an adventurer at the cost of all manager orders and routes. Orders I can export and get back, but routes I can not.  Is that so?

Using mode, for which the doc's basically read 'you're s.o.l.' i can mess things up in countless creative ways - and I don't understand the nuances of what I'm even doing.

I understand the basic price of having to do completely insane and overcomplicated things in order to do what could be simple for what someone may think of as 'maintaining immersion', but I don't get the basics:

can i grab a dragon female from the arena and bring it to the cavern where a lone male lives in hopes that they may breed?? (or otherwise put a creature into the world that may wreck some other place which i learn about through legends only? etc)

can i somehow have epic travels with a new 'high memory scholar to be' in hopes of getting them to write books about their encounters?

can i take the champion out, mess around in the world, turn him into a necro vampire and have him return, climb into a pit and switch back to fort mode where he suddenly can no longer climb?

whats the story on this back and forth now?  what i thought i remembered isn't helping me and the things i've read have been frustrating or completely unhelpful in helping me develop the right concepts. 

i guess that whatever i can do will be painful and severely limited and i'm ok with that -- and i'm looking to get my head straight on what's possible and how. i wouldn't mind running the fort until a dragon has grown into adulthood, but i would mind investing more time into perfecting minecart routes before i felt i had the right crew. get my drift? more questions..

could an adventurer find and rescue prisoners taken during a raid (in 2018 i mean)?   Could they track down the sorely missed relatives of people now living in the fort and possibly enlist them into joining him and emigrating there??

and what about dfhack? i found an awesome little 'snippet' that can get an adventurer retired in a fort some medical attention. why is that not included yet? who's the goto person posting tweaks for this area? do they not exist because the things i'm asking about are just not possible?

/requests bashings with whatever clue-sticks you have at hand!

don't cook what you can brew

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Switching back and forth
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 09:56:02 am »

Unretiring is currently somewhat buggy, particularly (I think) with regards to artifacts. In 44.05, I simply was unable to unretire a poet I'd adventured as, and attempting to unretire a fort with him in it would result in a crash. 44.08 seems more stable (I haven't upgraded to 44.09 yet), but I'd still expect it to be janky. I can share a few tips, though.

If you intend to retire an adventurer (or their companions, for that matter), I suggest you retire your fort in spring or summer of the first year (before the trade caravans arrives), because there are unretiring trader bugs. Entity tokens should be accurate for your adventurer, but any companions' civ and pop IDs won't be updated, meaning they'll be outcasts unless you manually change their values through dfhack. I suggest doing this before you unretire (during adventure mode), although it might could work during fort mode. The characters will effectively be long-term residents (you can't change their labors), but will eventually petition for citizenship. I managed to get this to work in 44.08, but the character in question was a normal hack-and-slash adventurer instead of a poet/writer.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 06:40:21 pm »

ok so switching back and forth with mode set now is alot more buggier given the game kinda added a new siege mode and trying to access that will Crash the game... probably due to Not setting up the location of the Fort site your at and long term transfers to fort mode that during the time of messing with it I didn't fully figure out.

but really Retiring and unretiring fort for getting adventurers should be easy... if you limit yourself to making an adventurer after the fort is made and locate the background to the fort site so that you don't need to jump though hoops to make the adventurer a proper citizen when they already are one out the gate, kinda like how becoming a hearthperson is alot harder than starting as one.

dfhack wise You could just createunit or Buy dragons via Messing with the animal tokens to get access to them or even mess with the embark settings to give you more points to buy one.
which cuts down the messing with Dfhack.

the last bit is mostly an Adventurer who is wounded with dfhack would have Many other options to cure that wound themselves via a Heal script, Ditching the body, transforming, Not taking damage in the first place, horribly Die before they could possibly run to a fort to see if a fort doctor could check up on them.

I don't think you need to use Lair any more as that was mostly there to stop Abandoning a fort from scattering everything while you're trying to retire it through Dfhack.

kinda wonder what the trader bug has anything to do with Adventurers retiring in a fort outside of I guess more random folks hanging out in your fort.

though you could build an advcamp then build a nano fort on one of the tiles which then gives you an embark where you control and build on the whole camp.
the bonus is retiring just cover one tile on the camp so the Lord adventurer who owns the site can still build on the site.
the mix allows for Digging and insanely skilled and fast Construction work
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 06:50:06 pm »

Unretiring is currently somewhat buggy, particularly (I think) with regards to artifacts.

aye. they were all over the map indeed.

are unretiring trader bugs.

good tip. i had 40+ 'hostile' merchants in the fort on a return once.

Entity tokens should be accurate for your adventurer, but any companions' civ and pop IDs won't be updated, meaning they'll be outcasts unless you manually change their values through dfhack.

would you kindly save me an hour or two and add a clue as to how?

I managed to get this to work in 44.08, but the character in question was a normal hack-and-slash adventurer instead of a poet/writer.

i get the feeling that you're treating it as a 'do this just once' thing too. weirdly that helps.  .. also you're not saying anything about 'mode'. i'm going to read into that that its not doing it for you either, ok?

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 07:12:14 pm »

ok so switching back and forth with mode set now is alot more buggier given the game kinda added a new siege mode and trying to access that will Crash the game... probably due to Not setting up the location of the Fort site your at and long term transfers to fort mode that during the time of messing with it I didn't fully figure out.

but really Retiring and unretiring fort for getting adventurers should be easy... if you limit yourself to making an adventurer after the fort is made and locate the background to the fort site so that you don't need to jump though hoops to make the adventurer a proper citizen when they already are one out the gate, kinda like how becoming a hearthperson is alot harder than starting as one.

agreed.  but don't forget about routes, or .. i mean, i love the tiny specialized dispensers for high value and specialized workshop stuff. loosing them after all the setup work (when i don't have time to just spend days on end catching up) isnt an option and i'm kinda relieved to hear that -- as usual -- whatever work was done was done for '1.0 credit' rather than the user's benefit. makes it much easier to just ignore the game again for another few years.

dfhack wise You could just createunit or Buy dragons via Messing with the animal tokens to get access to them or even mess with the embark settings to give you more points to buy one.
which cuts down the messing with Dfhack.

createunit. yes. but man.. 

the last bit is mostly an Adventurer who is wounded with dfhack would have Many other options to cure that wound themselves via a Heal script, Ditching the body, transforming, Not taking damage in the first place, horribly Die before they could possibly run to a fort to see if a fort doctor could check up on them.

again its the same as always; its only us players going outside the system that can make the game playable.  you try hooking up 26 religions and 25 levers without sharply inhaling through your teeth. the little script i found (also dwarfvet) that marked the unit as needing diagnosis was a relief in that it at least let me pretend that the medical system worked.

meanwhile, thanks for the many hints. i think i'll take my current fort forward till the unpurged vectors kill it while building something in a parallel world using adventure mode with a legendary doctor on standby.  i like the mayhem you can cause there -- even though i've yet to see any effect on site-pops on that from fort-mode.

anyhow.  i feel a little less stupid now.  thanks for replying, both of you!

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 01:27:58 am »

would you kindly save me an hour or two and add a clue as to how?

1) (v)iew a unit with v
2) run the lua script 'gui/gm-editor' either through the dfhack main window or by first typing 'ctrl+shift+p' in the Dwarf Fortress window with dfhack running
3) civ_id and population_id will be below schedule_id. First use gm-editor to check the civ and pop values of your other dwarves, then plug these values into the unit you were hoping to add to your fort

That should do the trick. I am unsure whether you'll want to change the civ and pop values of the hist_figure as well. If you need to change the orientation of a unit you're retiring (so that you can get descendants from an adventurer, for example), then you'll need to change the orientation tokens on both the local id (status>current_soul>orientation_flags in gm-editor) and the hist_fig (run 'gui/gm-editor df.historical_figure.find(unit.hist_figure_id)'). And so you know, unit.hist_figure_id is a number which appears immediately below status when you check a unit with gm-editor. If you attempt this using a unit's regular id, you'll likely end up with an entirely different unit, which will be very confusing. Anyhow, hope this helps some.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:30:58 am by rhavviepoodle »

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 09:23:06 am »

hey, thats an awesome tidbit, thank you kindly!
 -- and if anything else comes to mind, feel free to park your notes here :)