Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin settlement questions  (Read 2655 times)

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
Goblin settlement questions
« on: April 06, 2018, 10:59:29 am »

quick question,

I took over a town and hamlet as an Goblin from a Goblin civilization and now trenches and towers were constructed throughout the settlement when I retired and unretired. Anyone else have this happen?
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin settlement questions
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 11:51:33 am »

Its to be expected, its simply what goblins do because you 'planted your flag' of sorts to say that this site now belongs to your entity.

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 12:39:18 pm »

I ended up finding the refugee camp from the hamlet an town, they were actually almost overlapping each other, and my game crashed due to be an ungodly amount of npcs.

So if I were to abandon this site, would the refugees move back. Or if I stayed would the refugees end up moving somewhere else?

-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 11:44:39 pm »

quick question,

I took over a town and hamlet as an Goblin from a Goblin civilization and now trenches and towers were constructed throughout the settlement when I retired and unretired. Anyone else have this happen?
How do you play as a Goblin from a Goblin civilization? If I recall, Goblins are only available to play if they're from a Human, Elven, or Dwarven civilization.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 12:10:29 am »

quick question,

How do you play as a Goblin from a Goblin civilization? If I recall, Goblins are only available to play if they're from a Human, Elven, or Dwarven civilization.

Modding.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Lumpy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 06:12:45 am »

So civilizations transform conquered sites to their own settlement type? That's neat! Is the same true for e.g. humans? Will they transform goblin pits into hamlets?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 06:35:42 am »

So civilizations transform conquered sites to their own settlement type? That's neat! Is the same true for e.g. humans? Will they transform goblin pits into hamlets?
No. I saw "Dark Human Pits" a few times. Goblins do not transform hamlets into dark pits, they build a few trenches and towers at a few places, but leave the houses and mead hall intact.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 08:24:33 am »

The prefix is of the entity creature type, so that's a site owned by a human civ.

10~ elves for instance moved into a hamlet i recently razed & purged of goblin occupation (making them flee) and made it a elven hamlet.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 02:02:10 pm »

I wonder if the next step in developing adv mode building will be making your own civ

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 10:29:54 pm »

I wonder if the next step in developing adv mode building will be making your own civ
Probably during the economy arc (20 years ETA) or laws and customs (6 years ETA).

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 09:06:12 pm »

Probably during the economy arc (20 years ETA) or laws and customs (6 years ETA).

Got any source on these ETAs?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 09:09:20 pm »

Those are often repeated, but I got them "second-hand" from Shonai_Dweller, I think. Probably from a FOTF.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 12:17:19 am »

I once heard of a description of a system for explaining to people how features in software are delivered.  First you make a big list of all the planned upcoming features.  Then you prioritise the features in order -- the most important/desirable one on top, then the next one, and the next one, etc, etc.  Then you change the opacity of the lines of text.  The top line is completely opaque.  The second one is slightly transparent.  The next one is more transparent.  You increase the transparency as you move down the list.

The software features are *not* delivered on a schedule (because stuff happens and priorities change and whatever).  However, the list shows you the probability that you will see the feature in a timescale that is relevant to you.  So the top one is practically 100% because I'm working on it right now.  The bottom one is practically 0% because at the moment I've prioritised *everything* above it.

Asking about the ETA for X is not useful because in reality you are unlikely to actually see X *at all*.  Software isn't built to some grand design.  When we write software, it's virtually always bespoke development of something we have never built before.  It's not like building a house where we've build 1000 just like it and we're only tweaking the design.  The thing we are building *might* be superficially similar to something else that already exists --- but probably not (because it would be orders of magnitude cheaper to simply use a copy of that existing thing --- unlike a house).

Things change in software development; often dramatically.  Just look at iterations of dwarf fortress's development list.  It changes over time.

All that to say, instead of saying, "When will I likely see X", you should ask "Am I likely to see X".  For this particular thing, it's not on Toady's priority list at all for the next several years (which is being taken up with villains and myth and magic).  So the answer is "No", you are unlikely to see this in a time frame that is useful to you.  If you ask "Am I likely to *ever* see X", I'll give you a similar answer. "No".  Toady's been doing this for a long time, so hopefully he will continue to do so.  But stuff happens and X years is a *long* time away.  If you asked me 10 years ago what I'd be doing now, I wouldn't have given you even *close* to the right answer.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 04:50:49 am »

Those are often repeated, but I got them "second-hand" from Shonai_Dweller, I think. Probably from a FOTF.
Seems about right. Although if Toady's going to preface each Big Wait with a year-long 'minor fixes' phase like this time it might take longer. Or not, maybe that just shortens the Big Waits.

(Nobody has an accurate ETA, not even Toady. We just know the general order major development steps are going to take in the "short" term and roughly guess based on how long it usually takes.).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:52:47 am by Shonai_Dweller »