Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Mirror/Mirror | Fantasy Small Group Tactics [4/4]  (Read 5801 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Mirror/Mirror | Fantasy Small Group Tactics [4/4]
« on: April 06, 2018, 02:59:18 pm »

ጪስ ዎርልድ iስ ኔቼ ልድ ኖር ዮንግ። ት ሀስ ቤeን ዮንግ ቾንትሌስስ ቲሜስ፣ ኑርቱሪnግ ች ረቼስ ስ ችይ ስትሩግግሌ ቶ ንዴrስተንድ ች ዎርልድ ሮንድ ቼም፣ ቶ ትሬገiን ልል ቸት ሀሤ ለስት፣ ንድ ቶ ንዴስተንድ ች ጶዌr ቸት ቡርንስ ዊቺ ቼም።
This world is neither old nor young. It has been young countless times, nurturing the races as they struggle to understand the world around them, to regain all they have lost, and to understand the power that burns within them.

ጪስ ዎርልድ ስ ኔቼ ልድ ኖር ዮንግ። ት ሀስ ቤን ልድ ቾንትሌስስ ቲሜስ፣ ቾሤሬድ ን ች ግሎሪስ ሞኑሜንትስ ቶ ምጲሬስ ኖው ዴቸዴንት፣ ንድ ውኔድ ብይ ሜን ንድ ዎሜን ቾንፊዴንት ቸት ቼይ ሀሤ ሪሴን ቦሥቼ ሤrይ ጞስት ፍ ቼ ፈዴድ ጰስት።
This world is neither old nor young.  It has been old countless times, covered in the glorious monuments to empires now decadent, and owned by men and women confident that they have risen above every ghost from the faded past.

ጪስ ዎርልድ ስ ኔiቼr ልድ ኖር ዮንግ፣ ፎር ት ሀስ ቤን ሬቦርን ን ኔንዲnግ ችይችሌ። ጾሜቲሜስ ት ች ሀንድ ፍ ነቱሬስ ውሂምስይ፣ ሶmቲሜስ ዱ ቶ ሚስተኬ ፍ መጊች፣ ንድ ሶምቲሜስ ት ስ ሬቦርን ስ ች ለስት ዴስጴቴ ችት ፍ  ፈዴድ ቺሢሊዘቲን ቸት ክኖውስ ሬቢርች iስ ቼ ንልይ ቾንቲኑንቼ።
This world is neither old nor young, for it has been reborn in unending cycle. Sometimes at the hand of nature's whimsy, sometimes due to mistake of magic, and sometimes it is reborn as the last desperate act of a faded civilization that knows rebirth is the only continuance.

ጪሢሊዘቲን ሀስ ሪሴን ንድ ፈልሌን፣ ፍሮ ዎምብ ቶ ቶቤ፣ ቾንትሌስስ ቲሜስ። ጬ ዎልድ ስ ፊልሌድ ዊች ቼ ሬሊችስ ንድ ሩiንስ ፍ ቾሰንድ ችይችሌስ፣ ቼ ንዴስተንዲግ ፍ ቼም ልል ቡት ሎስት ቶ ቼ ረቼስ ቸት ኖው ወልክ፣ ቡት ቸት ስ ችሀንጊግ። ት ስ ቹርሬንትልይ ቼ ጌ ፍ ቼ ፕሪnቼ፣ ውሄን ቼ ግረስጵ ፍ መን ቤጊስ ቶ ቸርችህ ጵ ቶ ሂስ ሬችህ ንድ ን ጌ ፍ ኅጰንሲን ንድ ሬዲስቾሤrይ ስ ቤሁን።
Civilization has risen and fallen, from womb to tomb, countless times. The world is filled with the relics and ruins of a thousand cycles, the understanding of them all but lost to the races that now walk, but that is changing. It is currently the age of the Prince, when the grasp of man begins to catch up to his reach and an age of expansion and rediscovery is begun.

ጤት ልል ስተንድ ዊቺን ቼ ፍሊኬሪንግ ሸዶውስ ፍ ቼ ጰስት፣ ጰሌ ንድ ሢሢድ ሬፍሌችቲንስ ፍ ቼ ዎርልድስ ቸት ቸሜ ቤፎሬ፣ ሴኪnግ ቶ ስቸጴ ቼ ቾንፊስ ፍ ሂስቶርይስ ፙርሮር።
Yet all stand within the flickering shadows of the past, pale and vivid reflections of the worlds that came before, seeking to escape the confines of history's Mirror.

In the short form, this will be a game with a stat based (but mostly freeform) RP side, broken up with tactical combat segments based on your prior decisions. Slightly more specifically, you're four reasonably well equipped, but also dirt poor, mercenaries in a world that's locked in a perpetual cycle of rebirth. You're surrounded by the ruins of past empires, maybe from the last cycle, maybe from many cycles before. The age you live in is young. Savagery has been beaten back, cities and civilization thrive, and people begin to look towards the ruins of the past with curiosity and longing for similar greatness- instead of fear and superstition.

However, with youth comes growing pains. The edges of civilized lands are rife with barbaric peoples and savage beasts. The ruins of the past still brim with horrors and unimaginable treasures, and there's plenty of room for a group of dangerous folk such as yourselves to make a good living. Even to be known as more than simple mercenaries and retire with a comfortable nook carved out in history- if the cards are played right.

Your small group has found an opportunity to stake a hinterland claim, a finders-keepers dream. Or, in this case, an exterminator-renovators dream. You'll get more details when play begins, but that's your basic setup for your first Expedition.

Yes, the rulebook I made is... significant. If that's a barrier to entry, then I apologize. If you need help with any particular aspect, don't hesitate to ask. There were a couple revisions since the original, so it's entirely possible that there's a nonsense section or two.

If you'd like the Cliff notes of how the game works, it's a small group tactics with an emphasis on semi-determinism and strategic thinking over good die-rolls and powerbuilding. Granted, there's some power building aspects with item synergies, but the best build in the world can be cut down by a masterful maneuver. Even if you do get brought down, it's not the end of the world. Actually dying for good takes either time or suicidal effort, so it's alright to make mistakes occasionally. Your actual action strings are PM'd to me, so if you're going to work together as a team you're going to have to actually talk to one another- not just rely on everyone reading your action.

I'm looking for four people. There's a forum friendly copy/paste character sheet in the rulebook.

(If you see part of the top message as a crapton of rectangles, then you're either on a phone or an older OS that doesn't do extended unicode)

Current Adventuring Party

Spoiler: Gwynfor Lloyd (RGU) (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 03:08:57 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror/Mirror | Fantasy Small Group Tactics [0/4]
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 03:04:09 pm »

Name: Miles Kristofferson
HP: 200
Hope: 0/15
Desperation: 0/1
Essence: 0
Starting Class: Assassin (+3 PRE)

+Attributes+
Potency: 1
Precision: 2+3
Vigor: 1
Will: 1
Agility: 5

+Equipment+
Hand 1:
Seakeeper’s Katana
    L:2 | H:3 | DR: 20% | Dam: 55
    Moveset: Straight Sword | 1 Hand
    POT: - | PRE: D | WIL: - | VIG: - | AGI: 3/C
Hand 2:
-
Armor:
Spy’s Rags
    DR: 10% | Light Armor
    POT: - | PRE: 1 | WIL: - | VIG: - | AGI: 2
Charm 1:
Sleepy Kitten (I think I'll call him "fluffy")
    POT: - | PRE: - | WIL: 1 | VIG: 1 | AGI: -
Charm 2:
Deathball
    POT: 1 | PRE: 1 | WIL: - | VIG: - | AGI: -
Inventory:
Skirmisher’s Bow
    L:1 | H: 3 | DR: 0% | Dam: 30 | Ra: 4
    Moveset: Sniper Shot | 1 hand
    POT: D | PRE: - | WIL: - | VIG: - | AGI: 2/C
Guardian Hourglass
    POT: - | PRE: - | WIL: 1 | VIG: - | AGI: -

+Modifiers and Abilities+
Modifiers:
[Assassin] You automatically gain a minor resurgence to your least full attribute when you kill an enemy using a parry.
[Firstborn of Steel] Whiffed parries count as standard blocks.
[Sleepy Kitten] Least Regeneration: If you take no action during a round, you regain 5hp.

Abilities:
[Seakeeper’s Katana] Rushing Wave: 2 Agility | 1 Frame Cost | 10 Cooldown | Teleport to any tile within radius 3. Deal light attack damage to any intervening unit.
[Spy’s Rags] Stalk: 2 Agi | 1 Frame Cost | 35 Cooldown | For three rounds, or until you attack or enter a tile adjacent to any enemy, enemies will not react to you in any way.
[Deathball] Throw Deathball: No Cost | 0 Frame Cost, 5 cooldown | Make a linear attack with 10 damage, with length 2. If the ball is hit at the endpoint by a melee attack, it adds the damage of that attack to its own and is propelled X+2 spaces, where x is the spaces it moved before the hit. This process may be repeated until the ball reaches 1000 damage, at which point it disintegrates.
[Skirmisher’s Bow] Rolling Shot: 1 Agi | 2 Frames | 10 Cooldown | You can make a dodge roll and make a light ranged attack on either frame of the roll, but not both. This does not exhaust your standard dodge roll.
[Guardian Hourglass] Time-Stitch: 1 Will | 1 Frame Cost, 20 cooldown | Prevent up to 100 damage that occurred on any one frame last round. Surge: For two additional will, you can affect another frame, or prevent 100 more damage.

I plan to be stealthy, agile, and fast. Ambushing foes and quickly dispatching them with precision and speed. Scouting, spying, and assassination is all part of the job.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:00:21 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 03:15:00 pm »

Name: Dunnel Forge
Starting Class: Warder

+Attributes+
Potency: 2
Precision:2
Vigor:2
Will: 3+2
Agility:1+1

+Equipment+
Hand 1: Steel Broadsword W2 Pot 1
Hand 2: Gypsy Buckler Pre 1
Armor:Monster Hunter's Garb W3 Vig 1 Agi 1
Charm 1: Throwing Crosses Pr1 Ag1
Charm 2: Witch Ashes Pot 1 Vig 1
Inventory: Slayer's Greatspear Pr2 Ag1

Modifiers: +20% DR, second frame of Dodge roll is a block.

Abilities:

Can parry in second frame of Dodge roll, 25% damage penalty [Buckler]

Hunter’s Stand: For every 10% higher the HP of the toughest monster in an encounter is compared to your own current HP, this armor gains 1% DR. This ability caps at a 40% increase, but can’t bring your total DR higher than 80%.

Faith in Steel: 1 Will | 0 Frame Cost | 15 Cooldown | Set this weapon’s DR to 75% for the round.

Wild Hunt: 2 Pre 1 Agi | 0 Frame Cost | 100 Cooldown | Give any enemy the Mark of the Hunted. The cooldown of this ability is set to 15 when the marked target is killed. If the marked target is killed by you, the cooldown is set to 0.
    Surge: For every additional 2 precision spent, an additional target can be marked. ALL marked targets must to be killed to reset the cooldown.

Throw Cross
    Throw Cross: 1 Pre | 1 Frame Cost, 2 cooldown | Make a linear attack with 50 damage, with length 4, then specify a second direction. Next frame the cross will make a linear attack three spaces in that direction. If you occupy one of the spaces threatened by the second attack, you regain a charge of this ability.

Grants Ability: Witchwarp
    Witchwarp: 2 Vig | 1 Frame Cost, 10 cooldown | One debuff on you, or an ally in radius 2, is converted into a buff of a similar, but inverted, nature.

The purpose of this character is to be a mobile tank.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:37:00 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:17:25 pm »

Due to the nature, you're not going to be in until you've got a finished sheet. The only person who might have a spot reserved is Andrea, and that's because they were giving me a second look at the early stages.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 05:20:25 pm »

[...]

Alright It looks like you're in. I'll have to take a closer look later to get it into its final form, convert your avatar to scale, and make sure everything checks out, but looks all right from here. One thing on the abilities, just to make sure it's clear, you can't activate the ability of an item that's in your inventory- only if it's equipped.
---

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 05:23:28 pm »

One thing on the abilities, just to make sure it's clear, you can't activate the ability of an item that's in your inventory- only if it's equipped.

Yeah, I figured as much. I should probably mark the stuff that is not equipped (I want to keep it all listed though so that it doesn't have to be looked up).
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 07:08:34 pm »

PTW
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 07:13:21 pm »

SHEET DONE, also included token. Decided to switch the Glass Flute for a Deathball. Changed Bone Dagger with a Bearded Axe.

Name: Gwynfor Lloyd
Starting Class: Conduit

+Attributes+
Potency: 6+3
Precision: 3
Vigor: 1
Will: 0
Agility: 0

+Equipment+
Hand 1: Bearded Axe
Hand 2: Ebon Peltast
Armor: Lost Squire’s Armor
Charm 1: Thunderbreak Hymnal
Charm 2: Deathball
Inventory: Battered Sun pin

Modifiers:
-Firstborn of Flame: All classes gain +2 Potency, damage scaling is always one rank higher if it had at least E scaling.

-Conduit: (+1 Potency) All frame costs are reduced by one, to a minimum of 1.

Abilities:
-Long-Handle Grip: 1 Precision, 1 Potency | 0 Frame Cost | 10 Cooldown | For the current round, change the Bearded Axe’s moveset from One-Handed Axe to Battleaxe.

-Moment of Valor: 2 Pot, 1 Vig | 1 Frame Cost | 25 Cooldown | Reduce the frame costs for all attacks this turn by 3, down to 1.

-Stormhymn: 3 Pot | 5 Frame Cost, 15 cooldown | Choose a space within radius 6. This round, two lightning bolts per frame will strike either the central tile (20% chance) or any tile in radius one (10% chance per tile). Each lighting bolt deals 100 damage.

-Shadow Javelin: 2 Pot | 0 Frame cost | 20 Cooldown | Whenever you make an attack or a block this round, you can also target any tile in radius 4 to receive 50 damage. This damage receives bonuses from the scaling of the shield/weapon that triggered it.

-Throw Deathball: No Cost | 0 Frame Cost, 5 cooldown | Make a linear attack with 10 damage, with length 2. If the ball is hit at the endpoint by a melee

-Fiery Resurgence: No cost | 0 Frame Cost, - cooldown | Regain all lost potency, and all attacks on this turn will set enemies on fire for 3 frames. If you use this ability when average % exhausted of HP, hope, and all attributes is at or above 50%, the Battered Sun Pin regains a charge at the end of the encounter.

Spoiler: Token (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:08:01 am by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 08:07:25 pm »

OK, I'll come back with a Survivor archer tomorrow.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 09:17:31 pm »

Name: Götz von Berlichingen
Starting Class: Conduit

+Attributes+
Potency: 0+3
Precision: 3
Vigor: 4
Will: 0
Agility: 3

+Equipment+
Hand 1: Angel's Greatblade
Hand 2: Angel's Greatblade
Armor: Visionary's chain
Charm 1: Illuminator's powder
Charm 2: Glass flute
Inventory: Battered Sun pin

Modifiers: 25% DR, +3 POT, All frame costs are reduced by 1 (to a minimum of 1)

Abilities:

Glorious Charge: 1 Precision, 1 Potency, 1 Agility | 1 Frame Cost | 15 Cooldown | Move up to three spaces towards your nearest enemy. If you also make a light attack on this turn, the frame cost of your heavy attack is reduced by 2 next round.

Exhort: 1 Pot 1 Vig | 2 Frame Cost | 5 Cooldown | 3 allies in radius 1, OR 2 allies in radius 2, OR 1 ally at radius 3 receive a Frenzied buff. This frenzied buff has a duration of 10 frames, which resets to 10 when stacked.

Targeting Fire: 1 Pre | 1 Frame Cost, 2 cooldown | Choose an enemy in radius 3. They gain the ‘targeted’ debuff for five frames

Piercing Tune: 1 Pot, 1 Vig | 1 Frame Cost, 15 cooldown | Enemies within radius 2 gain the Vulnerable debuff for 10 frames.
         Shatter: If you choose to shatter the glass flute, it becomes unavailable until the next encounter, but it doubles the duration, effect, and range.

Fiery Resurgence: No cost | 0 Frame Cost, - cooldown | Regain all lost potency, and all attacks on this turn will set enemies on fire for 3 frames. If you use this ability when average % exhausted of HP, hope, and all attributes is at or above 50%, the Battered Sun Pin regains a charge at the end of the encounter.

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that the link to the dagger moveset is broken, and you don't have links to the shield movesets
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:28:11 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 09:45:17 pm »

I think my sheet is kinda done, but I would like some criticism. Also, I couldn't find any good tokens for something like the whatever I'm going to play as.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 09:58:31 pm »

A duelist/archer stealthy type, a sword and board tank, a dagger and shield fighter with some magics that look very... potent, and a two handed fighter with some cool buffs/debuffs. This is going to be interesting (and not in a bad way).

EDIT: I added a proper token image to my char sheet. This one is the right size, and has the saturation boosted a bit. Sadly you can't see fluffy, it is pretty darn hard to find a rouge/duelist image with a kitten riding on his shoulder, so I gave up.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:04:55 pm by milo christiansen »

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 06:11:04 am »

Name: Amadi Relyss
Starting Class: Survivor

+Attributes+
Potency: 3
Precision: 0+2
Vigor: 5+1
Will: 1
Agility: 1

+Equipment+
Hand 1: Raven Longbow
Hand 2: Simple Small Shield
Armor: Lost Squire's Armor
Charm 1: Apotheon Moon Charm
Charm 2: -
Inventory: Sailor's Axe, Glittering Orb

Modifiers:
Firstborn of Steel: Whiffed parries count as standard blocks
Survivor: When you spend vigor surges, you can spend an equal number of free Precision charges.

Abilities:
Raven Mark: 1 Pre | Frame Cost As Attack | 20 Cooldown | Make either a light or heavy attack. Each unity struck gains the Mark of the Raven debuff for ten frames.

Simplicity: 1 Vig | Frame cost 0 | Cooldown - | Choose one other ability you currently have, you can use choose to pay its cost with any attribute charges, instead of the ones specified. This ability can be used once per encounter.

Moment of Valor: 2 Pot, 1 Vig | 1 Frame Cost | 25 Cooldown | Reduce the frame costs for all attacks this turn by 3, down to 1.

Apotheosis: X From All to Activate, 0 Frame Cost, 0 cooldown | For 1 round, when you spend any one attribute charge from your reserves, you get another charge of any type to spend for free.
      Moon Charm: The X part of the cost is the remainder of the current turn counter divided by 5. 1 on Turn 1, 2 on turn 2, 3 on turn 3, 4 on turn 4, 0 on turn 5, and so forth.

Salt Dog: If you strike an enemy who has dealt damage to, or taken damage from, an ally on this turn, you deal 50% bonus damage.

Shimmer: 1 agi | 0 Frame Cost, 5 cooldown | Choose an ally in radius 4. They gain the Sanctuary buff for this round.
      Shatter: Exhaust the glittering orb, so that it cannot be used until the next encounter. Sanctuary is applied to ALL allies, and grants an extra frame of movement to each next round.

Spoiler: Token (click to show/hide)
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 10:00:47 am »

Currently wondering if I should have taken the Bearded Axe instead of the Bone Dagger. The axe would benefit better from my reduced frame costs and has more damage. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT. I edited my sheet, changed some stuff.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:11:14 am by randomgenericusername »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 11:04:37 am »

Ah, it's cool to see that you've advanced this system and are giving it another run. It was pretty interesting the first time around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8