Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Mirror/Mirror | Fantasy Small Group Tactics [4/4]  (Read 5802 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror/Mirror | Fantasy Small Group Tactics [0/4]
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 02:59:36 pm »

Ah, it's cool to see that you've advanced this system and are giving it another run. It was pretty interesting the first time around.

Yep, I think the test combined with a heft balance of hindsight should make this a bit more stable. Hopefully. :P

[...]
Alright, let me tweak the formatting a tiny bit and it looks like you're good to go.

[...]

Alright, alright, scanning through... seems good.
I'm also taking the liberty of adjusting the token you popped over to me on discord.

[...]

Taking a look... Seems you check out.  I'm glad someone took the Thunderbreak hymnal, I'm rather partial to it.

Spoiler: Gwynfor Lloyd (RGU) (click to show/hide)

[...]
EDIT: Just wanted to mention that the link to the dagger moveset is broken, and you don't have links to the shield movesets

Checking over your sheet now, and thank you for the heads up. I'll get that fixed as soon as possible. Also fixed it so that the glass flute doesn't give you time stitch.

Looks good.

[...]
Sadly, you'll likely remain in the wings, since everybody else actually correctly filled out their character sheets.

Currently wondering if I should have taken the Bearded Axe instead of the Bone Dagger. The axe would benefit better from my reduced frame costs and has more damage. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT. I edited my sheet, changed some stuff.

As a GM's note, conduit is a crazy good ability, and the minimum frame amount it can reduce a cost to may be ticked up in future. Still, you should have an expedition or two to toy with it.

So, it looks like we have our 4. I probably won't have time tonight, but game should begin late Sunday or Monday. In the meantime I can answer any questions you might have, though I'll be less helpful when they don't relate to the game, and I'll try and patch any holes you notice in the rules.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror/Mirror | Fantasy Small Group Tactics [4/4]
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 03:04:22 pm »

I just noticed: @heydude6 You only have 5 items. No big deal, but you can take 6.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 03:11:39 pm »

I shall spectate this.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 03:33:09 pm »

I can't wait for the Deathball shenanigans.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 03:36:31 pm »

Ahh, that reminds me: When the death ball is "batted" with a melee attack, who decides where it will go? I'm assuming the batter has at least some control.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 03:40:28 pm »

Ahh, that reminds me: When the death ball is "batted" with a melee attack, who decides where it will go? I'm assuming the batter has at least some control.

Huh, I was certain that was in the description. The direction matches the direction of the attack. So a NE focused right slash will propel it NE, as will a left slash, a lunge, or any other maneuver as long as it's NE.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 09:44:10 am »

The Thunderbreak Hymnal's Stormhymn ability makes says that "during this round, two lightning bolts per frame will strike". So it has to be used at the first frame for all the bolts to fall, right?
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 09:46:46 am »

The Thunderbreak Hymnal's Stormhymn ability makes says that "during this round, two lightning bolts per frame will strike". So it has to be used at the first frame for all the bolts to fall, right?

Correct. So, to get the most out of it, you have to stand still at the beginning of the turn- which is your most predictable moment. However, since it's a 5 frame ability, that only matters if you have reduced frame costs or extra frames.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 10:30:25 am »

The hinterlands of Arrene, a province that existed primarily on maps as a way to label the uncivilized space between the river Stere and the jagged mountains in the furthest west, could summed up with two words: Devout and Misbegotten. Back in the day, the Arrene was a land of poor soil and cold rocks. Populated by goat farmers who didn't like being too close to the heart of the empire, or by visionaries who dreamed of turning the soil richer with hard work and rocks less cold with the power of positive thinking.

The Church of Return, advocating shunning of ancient technology and materials in favor of attempting to being back the Angels through supplication and purging of sin (in many forms), settled in western Arrene for two reasons. It put the river Stere between them and the king, it gave them an entire region full of converts who readily cursed ancient artifacts and those who sought them- if only because it gave them something to blame for their chronic hardship. The church provided succor in the form of holy knights and aid, turning small goat farming towns into larger and more successful goat farming towns, albeit with the additions of a few cash crops selected as tithe to support the church. For the most part, this was a happy arrangement. The Church had its cloister and Cathedral far enough away from imperial authority to operate nearly freely, and the King had the Church largely cordoned off into a section of the kingdom whose most valuable export was goat cheese.

Then some fool farmer ruined everything by running over a chunk of metal with a plow. Unknowing of what it was, the farmer tried giving it to the smith to work, but the smith could only make the smallest changes to the thing even with the hottest flame and the heaviest hammer. The farmer then thought himself quite clever by selling the useless chunk of metal to a traveling trader who made the rounds through the villages off Arrene. The trader, however, was no fool. He recognized ancient-wrought steel when he saw it, and left the village the next day to book transit back across the Stere. He sold the bar for more coin that he'd made in a decade of trading sewing needles and books for dried goatmeat and hard cheese. Which is when the trouble started.

Despite the trader's most earnest attempts to keep his motherlode secret, word got out that there were artifacts beneath the soil of the Arrene. The story grew with each telling, creating clockwork beasts that the farmers had dug up and harnessed for labor and weaving tales of entire riverbeds lined with ancient metals after the river Stere had carved through the side of a vault in the western mountains. The resulting land rush pleased absolutely no one in power. The Church of Return suddenly had to deal with the money and ideas of thousands of unbelievers streaming into their territory for the express purpose of going against the core of Church doctrine and digging up ancient artifacts. The King suddenly had the deal with the revelation that the outlying hinterland that the Church had been sequestered in was actually a vitally important strategic and economic reserve.

Worse, the actions of pioneer miners and mercenary companies in the western mountains kicked the hornet's nest of savage species. Formerly, they'd mostly kept to themselves, warring among their own tribes, raiding farms for goats occasionally, maybe pillaging a village once in a decade before being driven back by the Church's holy knights. Now, with coin flowing below, poorly defended bootstrap mining settlements springing up left and right, incidents are frequent and vicious.

Both the Church and the King are in agreement that there need to be additional defenses built along the border of the mountains to protect villages and support mining camps. However, they are in marked disagreement about who is paying for it and who should be manning the forts. Which is where you come in. Both sides have taken to placing bounties on strategic positions at the western edge where the Arrene fades into mountains, bounties to either destroy or capture various old structures in order to make the area a little safer.

There's one particular 'old structure' that catches your eye.

It was a manor house, built originally by some wealthy isolationist before the church moved in. It was built nearly to the specifications of a fort, and the original designers clearly expected that they would have to repulse the curiosity of the savage races more than once. After its original owner died, apparently of natural causes, it changes hands numerous times, once nearly becoming the center of a small village before its owner was accused of consorting with Demons by the Church and consequently burned at the stake. After that, superstition caused than manor to be shunned and left empty. It has been decades, and she's likely in a state of some disrepair, but the bounty offered to either capture the old manor, or secure it to friendly hands, is lucrative. More than that, having the manor house would put you at the edge of all fronts- able to communicate with the miners, the villagers, the Church, and the Empire- and take coin from all of them.

Manor Reclamation Expedition
Pre-encounter Turn 1

Currently, you're en route to said Manor of as yet undetermined repair and tenuous ownership. More accurately, you're currently inside of a thicket, briefly regrouping to get a good look at the orc raiding party that did a surprisingly good job of almost ambushing you. You've been traveling by hoof, along the old road that cuts through and around the scrub forest that quilts this area. Your campsites have been off the road and partially hidden simply for the sake of caution, but, despite that, a mixed party of orcs and goblins nearly made you- and not by random chance.

Though whoever was on watch was able to provide sufficient warning to get everyone out of camp, the orcs made an immediately beeline for the camp itself. They slashed tents and stabbed bedrolls before their leader barked what you can only assume was an order to fan out and search the area. Worst of all, they weren't following you. They came from the west, the direction of the manor house.

For the moment, that isn't your concern. Your concern is dealing with them.  The raiding party is ten strong all told, four orcs and six goblins. The orcs are primarily poking through your camp while the goblins break into two groups of three and beat the bushes looking for you. The road you're on runs east-west, and you originally camped off the south side of the road. Currently, you're all on the north side of the road. The scrub forest provides limited cover, but the instant you do something particularly vigorous they're going to hear and see you.

What do you do, before hell breaks loose and battle is joined?

Spoiler: Gwynfor Lloyd (RGU) (click to show/hide)
---

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 11:05:05 am »

”Miles, you’re the sneaky one right? Do you think you can take out a goblin without anyone noticing”
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:07:11 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 11:07:19 am »

I wait for the goblins searching the bushes to get near me and then try to fell two of them with a single glorious slice from my ultra-greatsword

As a heads up, you can't melee kill from the pre-encounter phase. However, you can certainly get yourself into that position for when combat begins, which is what I'll interpret this option as.

Pre-encounter is for position, environmental bullshit, and similar.
---

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 11:19:35 am »

((No melee kills, but what about ranged magic kills? Because I'm thinking of using my Hymnal as both a distraction and an ambush attack.))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 11:23:06 am »

((No melee kills, but what about ranged magic kills? Because I'm thinking of using my Hymnal as both a distraction and an ambush attack.))

You can make the attempt, it'll be cast as normal, but since positions aren't final at this point, may be less effective.
---

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 02:58:53 pm »

"I'll lead the charge on the orcs if someone comes with."

((Draig, how long is it to change weapons?))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 03:01:28 pm »

In the pre-combat stage, free. In combat, it's at the bottom of the Weapons subsection in Equipment.

"Swapping any weapon in hand for another weapon in inventory costs 2 frames or the weapon’s lowest frame cost, whichever is higher."
---
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8