Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tileset  (Read 3848 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tileset
« on: July 11, 2009, 03:32:51 am »

is the community sure that the tilesets have no effect on DF framerate? It seems as though the mike mayday set is actually a few frames slower than the normal game. Is it just me?

In addition, what does it take to make your own tileset?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: tileset
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:45:00 am »

Tilesets make the FPS slightly lower, but not enough to really effect your game. As for the "make your own tileset" you'll need an advanced user, i am sorry i cannot help on that matter
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 04:57:10 am »

A tileset that only replaces the basic tiles (ie no specific tiles for creatures) shouldn't increase the framerate. One that does have creature graphics probably will, a little.

Creating your own isn't hard - you can copy the form of an existing tileset for the basic ones, and the Raw files already contain a couple of example graphics for creatures that you can imitate.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:02:31 pm »

A tileset that only replaces the basic tiles (ie no specific tiles for creatures) shouldn't increase the framerate. One that does have creature graphics probably will, a little.

Creating your own isn't hard - you can copy the form of an existing tileset for the basic ones, and the Raw files already contain a couple of example graphics for creatures that you can imitate.
I think you got it backwards

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:37:00 pm »

Tilesets make the FPS slightly lower, but not enough to really effect your game. As for the "make your own tileset" you'll need an advanced user, i am sorry i cannot help on that matter

BTW, I love your icon there.  Where did you get that???
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 06:06:45 pm »

I've noticed that the mike mayday version of the game has insane performance reductions, especially on larger maps. It is more so when you start to get clusters of animals, rocks, items, dwarves, actions, ect, your preformance will take a gigantic hit on the mayday version of the game.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 12:15:46 pm »

gah, figures. thats the one that i use.  is there one that is rather easy to understand?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:21:33 pm »

I've noticed that the mike mayday version of the game has insane performance reductions, especially on larger maps. It is more so when you start to get clusters of animals, rocks, items, dwarves, actions, ect, your preformance will take a gigantic hit on the mayday version of the game.
But the reason can be whatever. Huge performance compared to which version? Maaaaybe it's just the partial print options. Maaaaybe it's your GPU and the gridsizes.... maaaaybe you turned off something in your ini and didnt do the same in the mayday version.

Not saying that's what's happening... just saying gimmeh more input when making such a claim...

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 08:30:09 pm »

wait, can you tell me how i look at the settings for the mike mayday version of the game?

Cheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 02:22:52 am »

Isn't Mayday's 16x16? Assuming it's not graphics it should actually be faster since it displays less tiles that the standard ASCII, right?

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 02:40:27 am »

Made my own tileset the other day. Well, not really mine, but its all I really wanted. Took the curses 8x12 tileset and increased it to 16x24 and set the grid to 80x30 Now its nice and big and easier to watch when playing windowed. I use 1280x800 resolution and DF window is 1280x720. I get to see stuff and can switch to youtube and stuff easily.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 01:07:22 pm »

Made my own tileset the other day. Well, not really mine, but its all I really wanted. Took the curses 8x12 tileset and increased it to 16x24 and set the grid to 80x30 Now its nice and big and easier to watch when playing windowed. I use 1280x800 resolution and DF window is 1280x720. I get to see stuff and can switch to youtube and stuff easily.

can you tell me how you made it?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 03:03:32 am »

jeez I made a tileset just using MS paint, it's pretty simple if you read the DF wiki

I found some tiles that had no use in-game, so I made little face graphics for some other creatures, and altered the raws so they used the right image.
(I do sometimes get cat faces in the middle of people's names, though...)