Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missing forgotten beast resident  (Read 1454 times)

sionlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Missing forgotten beast resident
« on: April 09, 2018, 06:46:45 am »

In legends viewer I spotted a fortress ruin with a population of 1 forgotten beast who had settled there and presumably killed off the locals.

So in adventure mode I went there with a party hoping to find and kill the resident beast. However I search the entire fortress top to bottom and didn't find a single soul. I think this is the second time this has happened. I was playing a different map a few months ago and couldn't find a resident forgotten beast. Is this a bug?

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing forgotten beast resident
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:29:58 am »

If you're using dfhack, you can always 'reveal' the site. Some of the world-generated forts include wings which completely lack access (you'd have to teleport to the beast to kill it). I've also noticed that ruins can be randomly generated if you leave and come back, meaning you might luck out and the beast may not be inaccessible the second time you visit (in case teleporting is too cheaty for you).

sionlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:54:18 am »

ok thanks for that. I don't use dfhack, just vanilla. Sounds like it is a bug in that case. There shoudn't be inaccessible areas, for now at least, maybe that is ok once myth and magic is here. I might report this on the bug tracker then.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 02:24:36 pm »

Could it have wandered into the caverns?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 07:27:17 am »

So in adventure mode I went there with a party hoping to find and kill the resident beast.
I've seen giant cave spiders wander out of the site in adventure mode, and birds fly quite high.

Some of the world-generated forts include wings which completely lack access
Yeah that too. It might be in one of the caverns.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 10:00:01 am »

My observation has been that megabeasts and forgotten beasts which settle in forts don't wander until they have been disturbed, so I imagine they wouldn't wander away. I think semi-megabeasts can settle in forts as well, although less commonly.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 03:44:18 am »

I reclaimed a fortress with a resident FB and it was in the caverns (which were inaccessible from the fortress because a tree was in the way).