Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 178773 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #1035 on: September 01, 2020, 07:29:33 am »

I feel like there's too many games I want to try coming out this month.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: September 01, 2020, 09:14:25 am »

Like what?? Only thing I can think of that I'm really looking forward to is Empire of Sin, which still doesn't have a release date.   
Oh, and probably at least a couple of obscure games buried in my Steam wishlist that I probably wouldn't be able to run anyway.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 01, 2020, 11:23:34 am »

Crusader Kings III, to begin with. Then there's Wasteland 3 which just released. Then there's the the monkey making game which I've been enticed by our fellow bay12ers to get. Then Baldur's Gate 3 enters early access on the 30th and while I am firmly against early access as a general rule this is BG3 we are talking about, I want it even if I know it's bad for me. Then there's Pathfinder: Wrath of the Rightous that might be going into beta, and while the above applies to it as well I did get suckered into paying for it on the kickstarter (don't ask me why) so now I have to use it right? Oh and I still want to finish those dumb ruler challenge things for Crusader Kings 2 so I have that to do too.

And that was all I remember right now.
Love, scriver~

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 04, 2020, 09:42:40 am »

Finally finished a campaign in Dawn of War: Soulstorm, and I'm honestly just glad it's done.  The regular skirmishes were fine and not very different from Dark Crusade, and I liked that they added the take and hold scenarios for the gateways, since it's at least a breath of fresh air.

But boy, I just hated every last stronghold map.  They're almost all the same: there's a gimmick of some kind, but otherwise there are 3-4 bases scattered around the map that produce a specific type of unit, and if you destroy that base they stop making it.  The problem is that the AI gets an endless stream of free stuff from scripted spawns, and destroying their bases doesn't stop these.  This is usually basic infantry at first, but scales up to elite infantry and high tier vehicles as the mission progresses.  Or, in the case of the tau, knarlocs, which I'm pretty sure are a relic unit.

"The rescue fleet is not coming, we will have to make do with what we have..." apparently meant every last knarloc in the tau empire.  Which is also probably the highest DPS unit in the game, tied for the toughest unit, and they get an endless stream of them mixed in with ranged units that can fire beyond visible range and destroy anything that gets tied up in melee with the almost unkillable knarlocs.  I can only guess what happens if you fail to stop the rescue fleet from arriving, but they probably just immediately blow up your base.

The strongholds are just huge slogs because of this.  Even for the other strongholds, like the Imperial Guard, the enemy attacks constantly and in big enough numbers that you have to leave a garrison force at your base and frequently switch back to it to get the braindead defenders to do what they should without dying, because turrets aren't going to cut it, and you're doing it with a skeleton crew because you have to send out large attack waves to make any headway.  Even with space marines I just resorted to human wave tactics because I was sick of it and just wanted the mission to end.

And then the game crashes after finishing most stronghold missions.  I learned to save before finishing the mission every time, just in case.  Once I had to use a workaround that ran the game in safe mode with minimum settings just to get past the ending cinematic, else it would crash consistently.

No wonder this game had a rocky reputation among the fans.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 04, 2020, 11:20:59 am »

7 Days To Die is starting to peter out, because the game performs like shit during the horde once you're around Day 70+. Might still put in some more time, see if we can't optimize around the problem.

Went back to Vermintide 2 and have been getting slaughtered playing Cataclysm difficulty.

Also fired up Salt & Sanctuary because I watched someone's playthrough and I realized I'd only done one run through it with your standard sword wielding, armor wearing, miracle casting warrior. This time around, I decided to do a mage build. It's definitely an interesting change of pace from how I typically play these games. It's not hard per se, since most of the boss fights and what not come back to me as I play. It just doesn't have much margin for error due to wearing robes.

Will probably shift over to Necromunda: Underhive Wars when it releases on Monday.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 05, 2020, 08:09:19 am »

Played a bit of something called Spellbreak earlier, (one of?) the latest in the long line of free-to-play BR games.   
It tries to do something different with a weird magic system where you have gauntlets enchanted with different elements allowing you to cast various spells and stuff, but... maybe I'm not the target audience for the game, but it doesn't really grab me. With all its attempts at innovation, combat still seems pretty dang boring.   
Most of the gameplay consists of looking through fiddly clusters of items that float and glow and show you only one of their descriptions at a time. You also have to spend a lot of time chugging health potions and absorbing extra armour scraps into your codpiece (at least, that's where I assume it goes - you can't use armour until you have a belt equipped. Go figure) if you want to survive for long.   
It gave me a serious Realm Royale vibe, or whatever that one game was called, right down to the zoomed-out camera angle and derpy flying. Also all the tedious picking-up of items around the map. I think there were even little forges of some kind where you can presumably upgrade/build stuff, but I'm not sure - I just saw a teammate stand in front of a fiery hole in a wall for a while doing something.   

Combat itself, well, I can't really give a proper opinion since I only played briefly and didn't really dig too deep. In fact, I skipped the tutorial. For all I know there's a tonne of depth to the combat system, but I didn't really see it - you have your handful of different gloves to choose from and a few different levels of each, but they seem to have fairly similar effects: one AoE spell (which admittedly look pretty cool, at least) and one that's a sort of rapid-fire thing.   

It also takes a leaf out of (eugh) Fortnite's book and has you playing as a random character each time, with their outfit the only thing you can customise. Now, after playing Hunt: Showdown I actually really like the idea of random gen'd characters, but this really isn't the same.   
Also, it seems like most times at the game-end screen your character changes to someone entirely different, anyway. Not sure what that's about.   

Also, there's no sprint button, and clicking the left stick on a controller sends a 'ping' to your teammates instead. Believe me, there were a lot of meaningless pings in the first game I played. It just feels unnatural not being able to run or boost, aside from the slow flying you can do with the jump button or these mini-spells you can equip that mostly seem to launch you forwards a short distance. Weird.   

On a more positive note, it's a pretty pretty game. Well, the concept-art type illustrations that pop up occasionally in menus/loading screens/tutorials are kinda hideous, but the in-game graphics themselves are kinda neat. Cel-shaded and bright, without looking as eye-bleedingly garish as a certain popular BR I could name.   

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure why I decided to type out a review of this game I played briefly at the recommendation of absolutely no-one, didn't particularly enjoy, and might not even play again, but... well, there ya go. *shrug*   

Otherwise, I've still been playing a heap of Hunt: Showdown and PVZ: Battle For Neighbourville.   
I have a bunch of games in my Steam library I need to try properly (especially Beholder, it seems like it could be really interesting if I could only get into it), but I'm really slack with that these days. Of course, it doesn't help that my laptop doesn't run all that well, but it's not that bad.   
Maybe I should get a comfier chair.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 06, 2020, 02:27:56 am »

Just finished Wasteland 3 last night.  It was riddled with small bugs, glitches, and janky design choices... but I still really enjoyed it.  Clocked in at 50 hours, though that would have been shorter if I hadn't let all the voice acting play out.  And I might have been a bit less enamoured with it if I'd paid the full eye-watering £55 (I backed on Fig for about half that).

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 06, 2020, 08:35:57 am »

Ive been playing Kenshi recently, and while it sounds great on paper and all, I just realized for the first few hours all I have been doing is grind  ???

I mean, I'm suppoesed to enjoy it and stuff, but somehow I just dont.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 06, 2020, 09:14:06 am »

I beat Morrowind last night (beat it for the first time since I was like...13 or something, have played it probably every two years or so for a few weeks). I just want to mention how much I love alchemy in that game. I have always messed with it as a good income stream - but never exploited it for power.

Mild spoilers on a game that's approaching 20 years old.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ive been playing Kenshi recently, and while it sounds great on paper and all, I just realized for the first few hours all I have been doing is grind  ???

I mean, I'm suppoesed to enjoy it and stuff, but somehow I just dont.

I played for like 200 hours or some shit before I realized I didn't enjoy half of that. I still recommend it as worth the price for a pretty unique RPG experience. The lore is similar to Morrowind in that it doesn't really give it to you straight and you get to figure it out on your own - however it's not as thought-through as TES's stuff is - but respectable for the small team that made Kenshi.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 06, 2020, 11:03:05 am »

@Delphonso, that's the genius of Morrowind I think--whether or not it's intentional idk, but an for RPG that's really centred around godhood and achieving godhood it allows you to get awfully close to it and become super OP, it's kind of an open question whether or not the Nerevarine is really Nerevar and it's pretty much lore that because nerevarine == player they achieve CHIM.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 06, 2020, 07:17:27 pm »

@Delphonso, that's the genius of Morrowind I think--whether or not it's intentional idk, but an for RPG that's really centred around godhood and achieving godhood it allows you to get awfully close to it and become super OP, it's kind of an open question whether or not the Nerevarine is really Nerevar and it's pretty much lore that because nerevarine == player they achieve CHIM.

Yeah, there's a good bit of it that feels earned as well - which is missing in Skyrim. Although there's a suitable amount of cheese involved, kitting yourself out in crazy enchantments still feels like you did it "yourself".

I really like that when you talk to Dagoth one of the options is basically, "I'm not the Nerevarine, I'm just here to kill a monster."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 07, 2020, 06:21:47 pm »

To anyone looking to get Necromunda: Underhive Wars.

It's Windows 10 only. I didn't read the reqs before hand. I have a copy of Windows 10 sitting here in front of me, I just can't be assed to rebuild my system.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 08, 2020, 08:39:58 pm »

Early reports on Necromunda are not great. Some praise for the aesthetics and quality of life features, but a lot of criticism for very bad AI, slow pacing, and general lack of content.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: September 10, 2020, 12:08:10 am »

Since it's free on PS+ this month, I've been wasting my time playing the console version of PUBG.   
This sounds pretty crazy, but it (and presumably the PC version) is actually worse than the mobile version. Sure, it kinda looks nicer (though with more pop-up and tearing) and it's cool to have dead bodies lying around rather than people just transforming into crates, but in so many other ways it's inferior. No directional sound, no marking while ADS - well, more importantly there is no ability to customise your control schemes, it seems like there are less challenges to do and less limited-time items in the store, following your squad mates is derpier and there's no option to invite folks to follow, and somehow they've managed to streamline the menu but make it more confusing than the clusterfuck that was the mobile equivalent.   

...I think. Actually, that last one might just be me not being used to it. Probably. The others are all for real, though.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

BoujeeTheAlan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 10, 2020, 12:25:11 am »

Since it's free on PS+ this month, I've been wasting my time playing the console version of PUBG.   
This sounds pretty crazy, but it (and presumably the PC version) is actually worse than the mobile version. Sure, it kinda looks nicer (though with more pop-up and tearing) and it's cool to have dead bodies lying around rather than people just transforming into crates, but in so many other ways it's inferior. No directional sound, no marking while ADS - well, more importantly there is no ability to customise your control schemes, it seems like there are less challenges to do and less limited-time items in the store, following your squad mates is derpier and there's no option to invite folks to follow, and somehow they've managed to streamline the menu but make it more confusing than the clusterfuck that was the mobile equivalent.   

...I think. Actually, that last one might just be me not being used to it. Probably. The others are all for real, though.   

It's real. Say what you like but tencent are the kings of quality mobile ports right now. Their knock off Chinese phone LOL that they had another subsidiary make after the newly acquired Riot Games said a LOL port couldn't be done is also heat
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 100