Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 178723 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #1050 on: September 13, 2020, 06:25:27 am »

Friend bought me Deep Rock Galactic. Just spent the last 5 or 6 hours playing it. Only meant to do a mission or two after the tutorial but ended up playing it the whole night.

Gotta say, it ticks all the right boxes for me. After months of playing Vermintide 2, it's nice to play something that, at least on the lower difficulties, is kind of a chillaxing exploration experience with some combat to spce things up. It's a nice combo of a grindy unlock system, environmental exploration and navigating geographical obstacles, looting,harvesting and some decent combat. It has the map I wish every frickin 3d game ever made had, it's so good. I've seen it around for a while but never got around to getting it, but I'm pretty excited to play it with a full team of people.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: September 13, 2020, 06:43:17 pm »

Continuing to relive my early gaming years, I beat all of the Bloodmoon expansion to Morrowind, which I never did as a kid. Really made me even more disappointed in Skyrim, as they already had a lot of things to draw on that they just...didn't.

I booted up Oblivion and was immediately faced with a quest I'd never seen before. God I love that game.  Oblivion definitely aged well if you're fine with everyone looking like thumbs.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 13, 2020, 11:33:53 pm »

Friend bought me Deep Rock Galactic. Just spent the last 5 or 6 hours playing it. Only meant to do a mission or two after the tutorial but ended up playing it the whole night.

Gotta say, it ticks all the right boxes for me. After months of playing Vermintide 2, it's nice to play something that, at least on the lower difficulties, is kind of a chillaxing exploration experience with some combat to spce things up. It's a nice combo of a grindy unlock system, environmental exploration and navigating geographical obstacles, looting,harvesting and some decent combat. It has the map I wish every frickin 3d game ever made had, it's so good. I've seen it around for a while but never got around to getting it, but I'm pretty excited to play it with a full team of people.
Cool to see more people getting into Deep Rock. I've always loved dwarves in any game universe, so I was basically sold on the concept, but the devs have really done a good job bringing the game to life throughout Early Access. It's one of those co-op games that really feels... cooperative. That sounds kind of asinine, I know, but there are so many games with co-op that barely feel like you interact with your pals, and Deep Rock is not one of those. It really nails the teamwork aspect.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 14, 2020, 09:11:19 am »

I think what does it for me in the game is the lighting. The graphics are not amazing, especially when you get up close. But there's something about breaching a new cavern and shooting a flare into it and lighting it up.....it's just so evocative, and makes the whole visual package look better. Like you're playing John Carpenter's "The Thing" or something. Also the wealth of different biomes and environmental hazards just makes the experience all the better. It's just great.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:30:36 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 16, 2020, 09:58:51 am »

Finished playing The Outer Wilds (not to be confused with The Outer Worlds) and I thought it was pretty cool. It was a little more grim than I'd been expecting which I also thought was cool. Discovering things is fun, except when it's spooky. The game helpfully lets you know when there's still things left to find on a planet which is good, because otherwise I'd have missed some things.

Can't really say much, because everything is spoilers to some degree. Generally a nice game I reckon.

gamer31

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 16, 2020, 03:43:10 pm »

I just started playing The Witcher 3 again. I think it's a pretty good rpg with a trhilling story, decent dialogues and a lot of sidequests. I can grind it for hours since the map is huge and there is always stuff to do.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: September 16, 2020, 08:30:25 pm »

Spelunky 2!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 16, 2020, 08:35:52 pm »

Conan Exiles: Isle of Siptah

It's p cool
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: September 17, 2020, 02:37:49 am »

I've been playing Othercide.  It's a turn based squad combat game with a pretty stylish horror/gothic aesthetic - you're summoning and controlling the daughters (basically clones) of an ancient female warrior to fight plague doctor style cultists and twisted flesh and bone abominations in a sort of nether realm.  Everything's in greyscale except for splashes of red and bright white from your daughters. 

It's a bit smaller scale than e.g. X-Com - squads and maps are both smaller - but it introduces a few features that make for an interesting game.  Battles often feel more like a puzzle where you're trying to figure out the right sequence of moves to kill/delay/interrupt an enemy with as little loss of health as possible (healing is very rare/difficult, even between battles, and some abilities cost health to use).  So far I'm enjoying the mix of difficulty and ways to mitigate that difficulty.  I've even enjoyed the boss fights, which is rare for me.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: September 17, 2020, 06:40:07 am »

I've been playing Othercide.

One of the main complaints I've heard about it is that there's some kind of really repetitive grindiness due to something like how you have to progress by feeding units to each other, so you end up sinking a lot of time into leveling new units to throw them into the chipper, so to speak. Any personal thoughts on this issue?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 17, 2020, 10:55:34 am »

I've been playing Othercide.

One of the main complaints I've heard about it is that there's some kind of really repetitive grindiness due to something like how you have to progress by feeding units to each other, so you end up sinking a lot of time into leveling new units to throw them into the chipper, so to speak. Any personal thoughts on this issue?
Short version: I'm starting to find it a bit grindy by era 4 (out of 5), but I wouldn't say any more than I've experienced in other games in the genre at a similar point of progress.

Long version:

The feeding units thing is mostly because it's the only way to heal any damage your daughters take.  It does also give the 'fed' daughter a bonus of some kind (e.g. extra health), but the healing's the main thing.  How often you have to do that largely depends on how well you play in the missions - some damage is unavoidable, but playing well usually means minimal damage taken (I don't always play well :p).  Summoning new daughters is relatively cheap, but yeah if you've made a lot of progress you'll find they're sorely underleveled, which is where bonuses on subsequent runs come in - letting you skip stages and summon at higher starting levels.  You can also get resurrection tokens to revive a dead daughter (including one you sacrified) but the mission type that gives them is rare.

In terms of how many missions you have to run, the game consists of 5 eras which consists of 7 days - 6 days with 1-4 missions per day (usually 2 or 3) and a boss on the 7th day.  You can hit the boss early from I think day 4 onwards if you feel ready, but I've always played the whole week/era.  You can skip any of the missions (besides boss) if you like, though obviously that means less xp - I've skipped a handful of them when I didn't have enough daughters (they can only do one mission per day each).

If you die/lose, you can spend shards you've gained doing missions in the previous runs to get bonuses in the next try, which as I say includes skipping any eras you've already completed and increasing the level that newly summoned daughters start at.

For my own progress I'm at the start of era 4 and on my 3rd attempt:
Attempt 1 I beat the era 1 boss, got to the end of era 2 and died to that boss (dying to the boss is instant loss vs dying in other missions where you can soldier on).
Attempt 2 I was able to afford all the bonuses I'd unlocked so far, allowing me to skip era 1 and my new daughters are summoned at level 4.  I got through era's 2 and 3 bosses on this attempt and gave up on day 2 of era 4 (my team was all on a sliver of health after the era 3 boss and summoning level 4s wasn't cutting it at that point).
Attempt 3 I was able to afford all but one of the bonuses, and this time skipped eras 1-3 with my new daughters starting as level 7s.  I was also able to resurrect 3 level 10 characters from my 2nd attempt.

I am starting to feel a bit of fatigue now at era 4, but I wouldn't say especially more than other games in the genre by this point in the game - most of the X-Coms and similar I reach a point about 70-80% of the way through where the non-story missions start to feel a bit of a chore.  Here the missions are arguably a bit simpler and less varied (and so grindier) but the 'puzzle' element of trying to find a way to win without taking damage is keeping me engaged.  I suppose if someone was struggling and having to restart frequently the grind would be a lot worse - I have no idea if my progress is particularly good, bad, or average.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 20, 2020, 10:10:12 am »

On my usual nostalgia drive, i was replaying World Rally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rally_(1993_video_game)

World Rally was a coin-op game from Gaelco that was made in 1993.

The oddity about World Rally is that Gaelco released the rom for Mame as freeware back in 2008.
The website went down with time as websites do but you can find it easily around.

Anyways, it's still fun, and i'm still bad at it, but surprising myself i was less bad than when i had played it on coin op back in its years as i managed to complete the easiest rally , i guess i'm more used to keyboard than to old arcade joysticks :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 21, 2020, 04:49:39 pm »

I'd like to update my comments on Othercide in relation to grindiness now that I've reached the final boss.  It didn't feel especially grindy getting there - I did feel a little fatigue at the start of Era 4, but things progressed fairly quickly and I beat the Era 4 boss first try, so I wasn't too bothered. 

However, the final boss (Era 5) is kinda bullshit and if you don't have an optimal team you'll likely lose (as I did) especially going in blind.  If you lose you have to do at least Era 5 all over again, and in my experience there's not enough loot in Era 5 to gear up your team on the way to the boss, or enough xp to get more than a couple characters to max level.  While you can resurrect your previous team - so don't have to regain the levels - they come back without any memories (read: equipment), and I found it very hit or miss whether the 'good' memories would drop while fighting back through the era, or whether there was enough Vitae (read: money) to 'buy' them.  As a result my 2nd attempt, although a bit better than my first, wasn't as good as it could have been and I lost again.  So now I'm doing another run and this time I'm going to replay Era 4 to essentially farm loot to ensure (assuming I don't screw up and get my best girls injured) the best chance of winning on attempt 3.  It took me about 4 hours to fight through all of Era 5 and do the boss fight.

So yeah, that's feeling awfully grindy all of a sudden.

Doesn't make me regret getting the game or anything - I got about 30 hours of enjoyment out of it before that kicked in - but I'd maybe knock it down a grade if I were scoring it as it's capped a pretty enjoyable experience with a dose of annoyance and fatigue.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 22, 2020, 09:59:48 am »

I picked up the Verdun+Tannenburg two-pack on PS4.   
So far I've just installed Verdun and barely started scratching the surface, but it seems pretty neat. Well, at first I was like "oh gods all this tiny text across my TV that I can barely if at all read what the hell's going on, why can't I re-bind crouch to R3?! Ugh," but it has its satisfying moments.   
Plus in a later match I joined a squad with another player in it, who seemed to actually have some clue what they were doing, and as they led me and the boys bots into battle I really began to see the charm of this game. Playing as a grenadier of some kind, I switched out my normal gear for just a luger and an extra grenade.   
Running back and forth along the tree line by our trenches, backing up my squad leader, taking pot-shots at approaching enemies and lobbing the occasional grenade, it definitely felt like a Moment. I have high hopes for more Moments coming from this game.   

Just as well, too, since this is a game I really wanted to like. It can get extremely frustrating when you really wanna like a game but it just doesn't do it for you. Honestly I kinda feel like most of the games I have high expectations for fall into that category, haha.   
Anyway, I'm gonna go play some more. It'd be nice to have a friend or two playing the game, but apparently no-one on my friends list has so much as tried it. Might have to see if there's a PSN group or a place to find folks on the game's subreddit or something.   

I noticed a couple of other surprising titles on offer when I bought it, too, ones I had no idea had console ports. Ancestors: Legacy for one (not sure how well a RTS would go on console, though) and the other was... I can't actually remember, but point is both games were a pleasant surprise to see in the PS Store.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 22, 2020, 06:41:31 pm »

Started another run of XPiratez.

It's going well. Went for Gold this time 'cause I didn't have a reason not to, but haven't really begun to do anything like create new hideouts just yet. One day, though... one day...
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 100