Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 178913 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #1110 on: December 01, 2020, 10:47:55 am »

Escape from Tarkov is pretty difficult, but I’m still having fun.

My main problem is I’m rather bad at spotting or shooting people, which, as you might expect, results in a lot of lost gunfights.

Still, was able to get over a million roubles, so I mist be doing something right.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: December 01, 2020, 11:21:28 am »

I've had my eye on Tarkov for a long time. I'm not much for Battle Royales but the promise of NPCs to shoot as well kinda convinced me. But I've been waiting on a full release.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 01, 2020, 11:22:48 am »

Stellaris. It is pretty immersive. It is pretty un-optimised though, the lag and population control can become a pain in lategame.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 01, 2020, 02:15:55 pm »

Blegh. Yeah. Changing from the tile system really messed with performance imo.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 01, 2020, 02:22:15 pm »

tarkov is a game that rewards dedication and research. do not be afraid to watch pestily on twitch to learn from his techniques for fieldcraft and dont be afraid or think its too much to research how certain mechanics work or what can be found where. keeping a map of the... map youre on helps greatly as well until you learn the major landmarks. a common saying from some of the guys ive watched including pestily, is that knowing how to fight helps but knowing everything else is essential. good enemy detection (even a basic sound setup will help here, as will learning the various headwear that could denote an enemy) and good fieldcraft (knowing where to hide to eat/drink/reload mags, knowing where to loot and where to extract safely, etc.) will earn you more over time then hoping for ganking a high loot wearing chad.

theres so much more here but the key thing is, is that Tarkov is hardcore and you have to be a little hardcore to love it.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 01, 2020, 02:58:49 pm »

I've watched a lot of General Sam playing Tarkov. I admit, I ain't that hardcore, so. It may not be for me, but I'm mightily interested none the less. Especially if I can get my feet wet playing against AI.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 01, 2020, 03:32:40 pm »

if you find you like the game, its the kind of game that will make you hardcore lol. i used to be into cod and all that where you can take half a mag before dying, not in tarkov unless you shelled out for some good armor. now i find i cant go back to games like that, everyone feels like bullet sponges compared
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 01, 2020, 06:33:45 pm »

Hah, doesn't CoD have a pretty low ttk by shooter standards? Can't say I'm really a fan of that. Isn't it more fun if you get to actually have duels rather than a game of hide and seek?
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 01, 2020, 06:58:09 pm »

I mean, the reason I don't like Battle Royale's is......getting hopped up on adrenaline for 20 minutes only to be shot by someone sniping from a kilometer away sounds like the worst way I could spend my time. I've watched General Sam do all the dirty rat shit in Tarkov too.

What redeems Tarkov in my eyes, just as an observer, is the point is NOT to run out there and shoot people. There's a meta that goes well beyond just ganking people. There's a point that isn't just being the last man standing. You're playing for something more than just skins and bragging rights. There's varying levels of play too, whether you're scav or w/e. A persistent inventory where you can choose what to risk and what not to.

So there's lots to Tarkov that appeals to me. (I gave up on COD and Battlefield, like, 8 years ago. I'm now an old man with very little patience for Mountain Dew-fueled run 'n gun grenade spamming UAV Nuclear Weapon Strikes that spawn behind you gameplay anymore.) Tarkov looks INCREDIBLY rage inducing, I've seen some of the dirty stuff that goes on there. Which is probably why I haven't yet tried it. But on release, maybe I'll give it a go, especially when it's closer to rounded out with all its imagined features. (And isn't wiping inventory like, every 6 months or a year or w/e.)

In a way, all the edges of the FPS market these days (fast run and gun games like CoD, hero shooters like Overwatch et al., Battle Royales like PUBG (do people still even play that? :P) Fortnite, Apex Legends, etc....) don't really appeal to me anymore. Too fast and spammy, too wonky and fantastical, too boring and seemingly like a time waster. (If you're in to these games, not trying to offend, just saying that's why they don't work for me.) Tarkov seems bizarrely in the middle of all of that. Realistic (except for I guess mutants or something?), crunchy in terms of the meta, slow and tense, and having various ways of being rewarded. (If you truly suck, making it out alive with ANY loot will feel like a victory, versus crawling through the grass for 20 minutes only to be blown away by the first guy that sees you.)

So yeah, TLDR, as someone who has felt increasingly distant from competitive FPS for a while, Tarkov is the first MP FPS I've seen in years that made me want to know more about it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 07:30:13 pm by nenjin »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 02, 2020, 06:54:57 pm »

I picked up a tactics RPG during the Steam autumn sale called Banner of the Maid. Looked Fire Emblem-y, and I'm always on the lookout for stuff that's Fire Emblem-y because I like Fire Emblem but recently have started to think Intelligent Systems doesn't know how to design intelligent... systems... anymore. Yeah.

Anyway, it's set in a semi-magical alternate history French Revolution, which is a far cry from the monsters and dragons I've come to expect, and so far I'm liking it. Story is nothing to write home about yet, and the English translation is a little bit off at times, but the strategic gameplay is enjoyable and exquisitely well balanced.

I should mention the art is really good. It's also really, uh... how do I put this? Anime? The character art is like anime meets halfway with France's own neo-classical portraits of the time, which I find cool. Or at least it is when it's within reason and not stripperific, which it dabbles in, because anime. Being someone who watches anime a fair bit but still sighs when I see silliness that exists only for the purpose of titillation, I can forgive this game its questionable character designs most of the time (especially because everyone looks so damn stylish no matter what they're wearing).

After being largely disappointed by Three Houses and its rather bland strategy gameplay, I'm surprised to find something so remarkably unique and immediately engaging from an indie studio with literally this one game to their name. Here's hoping it continues to be fun.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 02, 2020, 07:58:52 pm »

Hmm... Extremely anime, but the gameplay does look good.

I share your sentiments for FE. I blame Awakening because it was the worst so far but a breakaway commercial success. Taught them a bad lesson, I think.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 02, 2020, 11:03:36 pm »

Hmm... Extremely anime, but the gameplay does look good.

I share your sentiments for FE. I blame Awakening because it was the worst so far but a breakaway commercial success. Taught them a bad lesson, I think.
Yeah, that does make sense, what with how Awakening was supposed to be the last Fire Emblem game but it ended up reviving the series. It's only logical that they would try to use Awakening as a model for the series after that.

Following that game I kinda enjoyed Fates (Conquest) for the more straightforward gameplay despite its terrible story, and Shadows of Valentia for its characters and writing, despite its pretty awful maps.

It's been a long time since a Fire Emblem game has genuinely impressed me in every aspect, and I kinda wish IntSys would just sit down and make a game that is more focused and less... silly. I mean, did we need to make a medieval high school and force you to feed people lasagna in order to fill a bar so you can expend that bar to level their weapon skill? It's so many steps, and none of them are really that fun. Why can't they just... level weapon skills as they used them, like the old days? It was simple, but it worked.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling a little disillusioned, though.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 03, 2020, 01:16:26 am »

I compare FE (GBA) to Awakening a lot. One thing that came with the 3DS was Nintendo's better localization teams. I don't know if they're connected, or just part of a trend, but I find almost all dialogue on 3DS and newer games to be insufferable. Old Fire Emblem was stiff, serious, and dour in tone. The newer games are a lot less serious, and I can't help but think that is just better translation.

That's a minor gripe I have compared to my complaints about gameplay. But...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 03, 2020, 03:36:32 am »

I compare FE (GBA) to Awakening a lot. One thing that came with the 3DS was Nintendo's better localization teams. I don't know if they're connected, or just part of a trend, but I find almost all dialogue on 3DS and newer games to be insufferable. Old Fire Emblem was stiff, serious, and dour in tone. The newer games are a lot less serious, and I can't help but think that is just better translation.

That's a minor gripe I have compared to my complaints about gameplay. But...

The games definitely feel like they underwent a tonal shift, and it's especially noticeable in the characters. Before Awakening, we had simple, relatively grounded characters who didn't try too hard to stand out in a crowd. It was easier to get attached to them for their gameplay value in these older games, though if you were willing to delve into support conversations, there was still some character development and fun to be had.

After Awakening, it felt like everyone had to have some kind of stupid trope or quirk attached to them that defined their entire character. "This guy is super huge but nobody ever notices him!" "This kid is really competitive with his older siblings!" "This girl is just... really creepy!" It was fun for about ten seconds, until I realized that they were all actually really boring because they had no depth.

Then Three Houses came along, doing the same thing, but tried to reconcile it by giving everyone some kind of tragic backstory. I just... couldn't. As much as I wanted to like the characters in that game, none of them felt genuine at all. Because in reality, most people are not super quirky and weird all the time; they're relatively normal, and you get to know their little quirks the more time you spend around them.

Shadows of Valentia, as a remake of an older game, felt like the best of both worlds to me. The characters were a bit silly and more colorful, with some great voice acting that really brought them to life, but they were still way more grounded compared to the rest of the 3DS fare. Most of them behaved they way people would, and a lot of them actually commented on the goings-on of the story if you bothered to chat with them during spare moments, so they felt more like genuine companions than just... accessories for your lord and the few who are deemed important by the story.

Except Faye. But guess what? Faye was chucked into Shadows of Valentia as an extra--she wasn't in Fire Emblem Gaiden originally. It's actually not all that surprising that she ended up being the most unbearable character in that game; she was a walking trope in a band of far more realistic characters.

... Not that Shadows of Valentia had a script with any kind of emotional heft, either. In fact, the most powerful storytelling moment in the game for me was actually in the midst of gameplay...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: December 03, 2020, 10:32:23 am »

and here I am just wanting another Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 100