Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 178771 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #1230 on: August 24, 2021, 02:37:31 pm »

I have a preexisting and highly specific phobia of being in a body of water with oversized fish and unknown life forms.

I haven't played Subnautica yet but it's one of the most highly anticipated horror games on my list.
My feelings exactly. It looks really cool, but simulating the experience of being immersed in a substance which could not only asphyxiate me, but is also teeming with dangerous creatures that are far more adapted to the environment than I am... yeah, that sounds like those nightmares I used to have about the shark in Banjo Kazooie when I was a kid.

Well that's because when you first meet him HE MAKES A FUCKING GO AT YOU WITH HIS HUGE RUSTED TERROR JAWS before deciding to be your horrible rotted metal shark buddy.

https://youtu.be/kJwS9wfGblo?t=51
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 05:51:41 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 24, 2021, 04:54:46 pm »

ive been switching between ARK : Survival Evolved and DF.

I am working on taming a bunch of rexes to take in to the 1st boss fight on the Island Map, and getting destroyed in the process

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 24, 2021, 06:37:12 pm »

Played a little bit of TES IV: Oblivion last night. Got about 90 minutes out of it before it just crashed to desktop. There was plenty of warning like most of the game dialogue files being absent, models and textures not loading (floating argonian heads, the horror!) And loading taking 5 minutes at a time.

. It seems that oblivion has also been oblivious by the harddrive corruption that is slowly consuming my entire computer. I lost Skyrim LE, Stellaris, ARK, SW: KOTOR, KSP, Bannerlord, and a few others to the corruption. Skyrim (non-legendary) dwarf fortress and Starmade are all that's left.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: October 26, 2021, 04:24:37 am »

Path of Exile

Some friends returned to the game for the recent Scourge update, and I decided to reinstall as well.
The last time I played there were only 3 Acts. Now there are at least 10! I just made it to Act 4, so it's all new to me from here onward.
Definitely having a lot of fun already, and there's still so much more to explore!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: October 26, 2021, 01:55:18 pm »

Path of Exile

Some friends returned to the game for the recent Scourge update, and I decided to reinstall as well.
The last time I played there were only 3 Acts. Now there are at least 10! I just made it to Act 4, so it's all new to me from here onward.
Definitely having a lot of fun already, and there's still so much more to explore!

Oh man you have *so much* content to get through. Good luck!

For me, I've been playing a set of spooky games for October.

-Total Warhammer 2 Vampire Counts campaign. It's going well. I confederated all the Vampire Count legendary lords before the AI devoured them. I beat the short campaign around turn 95 or something, had completely taken over the Empire without much struggle. The long campaign could probably be completed by turn 150. I've basically already won, now I'm just doing things like building fun doomstacks.

-Source of Madness. Talked about it in another thread, but it's an Early Access Castelvania-style roguelike, with procedurally generated levels, level textures and monsters, wrapped up in a Cthulhu theme. It's still a WIP but the art is amazing, the action is very action-y in a high physics, body parts flying around sort of way. I'd still consider it a casual title but what they have already is pretty fun and engaging.

-Ghost Master. I had a bit of a nostalgia wave and re-installed this. I....I love this game. In some ways because it's so different from what I normally play. It's barely even edgy. It's silly and cheesy and doesn't take itself even remotely seriously. It's full of dumb puns and dad jokes. It's still one of the best "be the ghosts" simulators out there despite being almost 20 years old. The little stories of ghosts you need to rescue or the human dramas you're involved in while playing the game are simple and yet wonderfully flavorful. And there's something charming about interacting with the SIMs-like AIs and screwing with them using your ghost powers. Which is also the biggest frustration when you're replaying it going for high scores, is waiting for the AI humans to do shit that you need for the level completion. I spent a good hour on a level where my speed run time (which is directly tied to your end of level score, and how much cash you get to buy new ghost powers) was directly dependent on an AI deciding they needed to take a poop. Love the game to bits though, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes hauntings, ghosts and simulations.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 02:04:04 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: October 26, 2021, 07:04:50 pm »

Bought Loop Hero and Fi da Puti Samurai last week and have enjoyed both. Also been giving Basingstoke and Shadow of War a try - and hopefully I’ll complete the latter’s story some time soon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 07, 2021, 10:47:24 pm »

Well I finally finished Darkwood, after almost 5 years and 100+ hours of multiple aborted playthroughs.

I love the game but man it became a real slog in Chapter 2. That point where most of your needs were taken care of so there really wasn't a lot of motivation to loot everything anymore, and yet to see everything and understand everything, you had to tromp across the swamp, do the night time events and criss cross the map 3 dozen times. Which is true of most of the game, but by the swamp it had become pretty tedious.

Also slightly annoyed your game gets saved at the start of the epilogue. So I can't try and go get the other ending with the same save game.

Spoiler: Ending (click to show/hide)

This run took me 50 days, and I imagine 30 or so hours of actual playtime. Probably won't be playing Darkwood again for a long while but if I do , I'll make a speedrun of it. I've crawled over every inch of this game now, and while I think it was a worthwhile experience it's not one I'd repeat again.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 10:54:30 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 08, 2021, 12:11:38 am »

Finally finished Shadow of War a while back. While the normal gameplay was interesting, the final boss(es) didn't really make use of many of the game's mechanics, and I do not wish to do the Shadow Wars at this time. Also finished Daemon X Machina - which is sadly not a game I enjoyed. Even went to the trouble of writing a Steam review about why I disliked it. I have given PC Building Simulator and Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts a try.

PC Building Simulator's pretty nice if you're into fixing things up (though I'm still wary of jobs like "Upgrade my graphics card" or "Make sure my PC can get this 3D Mark Score" - it often leads to me scrolling through the lists of graphics cards to see what will or won't work). Haven't gotten far enough into the game to see the other features yet, though I have received my first requests to build PCs for people - which is interesting.

Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts feels a lot like your usual first-person stealth shooter, though the sniping mechanics are pretty cool - you can adjust your scope's distance in order to more easily see and shoot far targets, you get special bullets that can do things like lure enemies or disable electronics. You're pretty dang fragile, though, so head-on gunfights are very likely to end in death - even if you pull out the shotgun you brought with you.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: December 16, 2021, 09:46:03 am »

Not playing Final Fantasy 14. Wanted to check it out as half-decent looking free (for my purposes) MMORPG, but it turned out to be free to wait. Looking on negative rewievs, game currently conisists of waiting in queue for paying users, and unpaying users do not have right to be in queue in first place. Looking at reviews more closely, it turns out that new characters currently do not even go in, paid or unpaid. With vague outlines of 'currently'.  :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 09:51:25 am by MCreeper »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: December 16, 2021, 10:12:05 am »

Yeah, they released a big new expansion pack the other week which has resulted in a lot of people playing. Add in difficulties in expanding their server infrastructure (semiconductor shortages) and they're swamped.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: December 16, 2021, 11:16:06 am »

so, back in the day there was this german rpg series known as Gothic. 1 and 2 were classics and the 3rd one was very very rough but after community patching, was fairly decent as well.

this shows the love and support this cult classic rpg series has and it continues to this day, surprisingly to me.

and just a few days ago on steam they released a massive megamod for Gothic 2 called The Chronicles of Myrtana Archolos that i downloaded to try this weekend and thought id share it for any other Gothic fans.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1467450/The_Chronicles_Of_Myrtana_Archolos/

its basically a whole other game based on the G2 engine. you don't even play as the nameless hero either and its got overwhelmingly positive reviews too
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: December 16, 2021, 11:38:11 am »

Dungeon Master 2: The Legend of Skull Keep.

Someone had linked me the Chaos Reborn project. Which are faithful recreations of, I believe, the Amiga versions of Dungeon Master 1, Chaos Reborn and Dungeon Master 2.

It's quality work, but I never played the Amiga version of DM2. Just the PC. So when I booted it up and started playing, lots of UI differences started to bug me. Like the fact that it only displayed items in the right hand of each hero for use in combat, where as the PC displayed items in both hands. And like rotating objects required you to cycle through a menu on the Amiga, whereas the PC had a nice clickable UI interface. The PC version just had a nicer, more detailed UI in general. The CR UI by contrast was functional but minimalist.

So I dove into nostalgia, found a copy of the PC version on Abandonia and got DOSBOX installed.

Man I enjoy this game. It's so simple and limited feeling by today's standards. But something about the charming quality of the art (particularly the weapons and armor) and the "learn by doing" XP system just enchants me. I do think it's not my favorite Dungeon Master game. DM1 took place entirely in a dungeon, and resource scarcity and the threat of starving to death really gave the game tension. DM2 on the other hand largely takes place outdoors for the first 3/4 of the game, has farmable respawning enemies that drop food and loot to sell, vendors to buy food and the best gear in the game from and generally yeah....DM2 is eminently grindable compared to DM1. Which is both part of its appeal and why it's a different feeling game than DM1.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 11:44:18 am by nenjin »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: December 22, 2021, 03:03:04 pm »

Inspired by month-old chatter in *own* thread, trying out Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Again mod. Looking at the comments, there is way, way less bugs and bullshit than in Daughters of Ash, and modmaker is very responsive. Looks curious so far.
Entering Taurus Demon boss room, there is a knight dude on the arena. Is he boss now? *fighting, Taurus' HP line appears.* Holy shit, he isn't! I climb at tower and do a plunge attack, then run away to get them away from the ladder. Oh, they are fighting each other!  :D

Speaking of Daughters of Ash, it appears to be the mod "everybody" plays but nobody likes. I installed it once. Asylum Demon broke trough the floor and died before i enter boss room, as intended, but i restarted to check if it really is. This time fight went as normal, then I broke trough the floor and died. What there is to be expected from a mod that doesn't works correctly from the very beginning?  ::) Looked at comments, there are people swearing about obscurity, bugs and bullshit, and other people saying they are just bad at playing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 03:22:10 pm by MCreeper »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: December 22, 2021, 04:58:25 pm »

Trying to play Amazing Cultivation Simulator.

Restarted once and maybe again because of how slow I feel I'm progressing. Last attempt, I missed the peak time of the year for my starting inner to breakthrough to Golden Core, though a total lack of viable materials for a decent cultivation room didn't help(or poor Law compatibility). Current attempt, it took me 15 days for my starting inner to actually become an inner disciple - I avoid using the starting Forming Pill for two reasons: first, it's going to be a while before you can replace it and it has other benefits besides instantly building an outer's foundation, and second, because there's simply so much work to be done initially building up the place that I can't spare the labor. Luckily my second attempt I picked up a wolfgirl early on, which helps(because she runs fast, and over 200 days before her tribulation).

Both attempts I my starting inner was setup for a the Sunflower Refining Law and a massive Social skill. This can be done by re-rolling the character stats until Social is at least 50, and taking the Hedonist perk, which increases both Social skill and Charisma(which Social is based off of) and gives them 100-quality clothes. You need a massive Social skill to do the main story stuff. I'm finding Sunflower is a slow Law to start up since you need to make a cultivation room out of fire, which has a lot of problems(like fire).

I've heard of a run where someone got a tier-1 Golden Core with True Sun Refining Law by day 5, but I haven't seen how they did that. Nor am I going to attempt that. My concern with slow progression is due to the fact that I've lost runs because I didn't get strong enough quickly enough to defeat the demon beast on the map - which is stronger than the average beastie, gets stronger over time, eventually wakes up, and finally attacks your base. There's also some time-limited stuff, primarily with the main story, and generally has little to do with how strong your sect is as far as I know.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: December 22, 2021, 06:33:52 pm »

Shadow Tactics : Shogun's Blade.
Just completed the 12th mission of the campaign (and finally unlocked the 13th and last mission) and applied the ninja stealth rule
:D

What a fantastic Commando/Deseperado game it has been so far, those 12 missions were great and very well designed (some feel impossible until you review your approach and progressively clear a path) as each ones added a design quirk or some different kind of map feature in comparison to the previous, allowing then the game to avoid being too repetitive.

Only cowardly played in beginner difficulty but i have a hard time to imagine how i could have done on some situation i managed to overcome if it had been even slightly harder.

Loved each moment of that game, the characters are rather charismatic thanks to the vocal actors that really play them well in english ( my favorite is Yuki, a supposed street urchin turned thief but that ended being my biggest murder machine thanks to her "pretty little trap", the dialogue lines she has are excellent, you feel there's something wrong with her head everytime she talks to her trap, tools and the environment while murdering all those people :D )

Took nearly 2 hours by missions (and quicksave/quickreloaded between 40/50 times due to mistakes), man i'm really either terribly bad or way too cautious, as amongst the badges you can get in normal difficulty it looks like the missions can be each completed between 10 and 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 06:35:33 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 100