Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 178781 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #1275 on: December 22, 2022, 10:18:22 am »

Yeah it's sad as when you see the amount of very good work they put in making and designing all the special locations, villages, camps, ruins, derelict ships and etc.. the emptiness of the rest of the world is made really noticable.
Though with the unity engine running this game it's already a miracle this is playable with relatively smooth framerate (but with noticable drop in performance on some more populated/busy places) , i imagine with a more lively world ...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 10:20:20 am by Robsoie »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: December 24, 2022, 06:22:45 am »

Oh come on, Unity isn't that bad. Hell, it isn't even bad in the first place.

Unity just makes it easy for people to make games. This includes people who are bad at optimizing games. That's all.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: December 24, 2022, 07:16:58 am »

Maybe, but i have a hard time to find a large-scale complex unity powered game that does not load noticably slower than similar-looking complex games running on their own engines, or does not have some performance issues here and there for not obvious reason.
Sure some coder may be bad at optimising or may not be interested in spending any optimisation time (as after all they're more interested of finally getting money from selling their game instead of pushing release for a while until they optimise the stuff and not getting any sales), but as a player those aren't my concerns , i care more about loading time and performance not going to be a pain to me enjoying playing a game.

Fortunately there are some exception, Sable by example is rather large scale and complex and run surprisingly well (out of some performance issues on some location for some reason) and load rather fast.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 07:19:01 am by Robsoie »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 24, 2022, 07:35:12 am »

Sometime I will look into how code optimisation is actually done (but not today ;) ). When I was modding Bethesda games the constant word of advice was to always keep inquiries from firing every moment if possible, which has been ingrained in my head since, so I'm kinda presuming it's a lot stuff like that. Maybe reducing the amount of lines the code has to parse before execution. I dunno. I think it's kind of interesting.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 24, 2022, 12:15:42 pm »

Having read professional coders' experiences, Unity really does make everything more difficult to do, even if you're good enough to make it do it in the first place.

I'm playing through the free games Epic has been giving away, because I happened to be running low on other games I wanted to play.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: December 24, 2022, 06:33:49 pm »

Optimization is one of those things that's extraordinarily simple to "start", yet effectively has an infinitely high skill ceiling. I put "start" in the quotes though because it's not really something you do or don't do. It's just a property of the code you write and the systems you make.
At its base, optimization is two things:
1.) Reduce the things the computer has to do. This is a very broad category but deservedly so. It's the same idea of efficiency present literally everywhere.
2.) Use all the resources the computer gives you. Using 100% of 1 CPU core and 0% of the many others computers nowadays have? Poorly optimized.

And there's a reason Unity is widely used. Many reasons. Many, many reasons. Honestly, people who blindly complain about games on Unity are almost (but not quite) as bad as people who complain about Bethesda games using the Creation engine.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 25, 2022, 07:01:24 am »

...Are you unintentionally saying the unity is as bad as the gamebryo-engine-we're-not-allowed-to-use-that-word-any-more-though-because-our-license-expired but people keep using it because of sunk cost? Because I literally encounter the same kind of bugs in modern Beth games as I did in Morrowind two decades ago because it's a badly patched ramshackle house that they just keep smacking new rooms and storeys unto under a thick layer of veneer and without fixing any of the underlying problems?

Yes I am one if those people :P
Love, scriver~

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: December 25, 2022, 07:38:59 am »

Christ.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 02, 2023, 08:23:48 pm »

Black Desert Online
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 03, 2023, 12:30:37 am »

Replaying Resident Evil 5 for the 3rd time with yet another friend.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: January 03, 2023, 01:19:32 am »

Replaying Resident Evil 5 for the 3rd time with yet another friend.
I had so much fun playing through that game with my brother back in the day. A great co-op experience, even if it is a bit littered with quick-time events.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: January 03, 2023, 02:26:34 am »

It's so goddamn brown. That's what strikes me most coming back to it.

But yeah. A solid coop experience after RE4 set the pace of gameplay. Mouse and keyboard aiming also makes it quite a lot of fun to play.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 03, 2023, 11:15:18 am »

Playing NEO: The World Ends With You. Liking the experience so far.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: January 03, 2023, 05:36:58 pm »

I picked up Elden Ring during the Winter Sale and so far I'm having fun. I'm also dying a lot and I'm stuck on two different bosses (early ones, which doesn't bode well for the rest of the game), but still it's pretty fun. Running a Warrior with Dualblade mainly, along with a flail for foes that want striking damage.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 03, 2023, 06:05:00 pm »

I picked up Elden Ring during the Winter Sale and so far I'm having fun. I'm also dying a lot and I'm stuck on two different bosses (early ones, which doesn't bode well for the rest of the game), but still it's pretty fun. Running a Warrior with Dualblade mainly, along with a flail for foes that want striking damage.
Which bosses? I suggest summoning help, that and I too am getting back into ER. Beeg sword, unga bunga strength build.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 100