Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 178593 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #1305 on: January 06, 2023, 08:52:15 pm »

Just playing. The forum search function ain't what it used to be.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: January 06, 2023, 11:25:45 pm »

Just playing. The forum search function ain't what it used to be.
Half the time I can't go beyond the first page of results, it's definitely a wee bit fucked.

I'm currently on a Rimworld/The Long Dark binge. Usual pattern, I'll obsessively play a game or several for a month, then they'll fall to the wayside and I'll go back to a mix. Current game of TLD's going well. Spawned in mountain town, took Milton House as my base, found a revolver and a good chunk of ammo for it. Been getting loads of meat, guts and hide because of an abundance of rabbits and deer carcasses, and because there's loads of wolves that keep coming up to the house and shot by me.

I'm going to make a bow. At least that way the ammo's reusable.

I've also snagged a hatchet from the farmhouse and two hunting knives. I've only had one whetstone though, and I'm wearing through the hatchet pretty fast. I've also got some decent clothing through scavenging the town and plane crash. Loads of food too just from a combo of hunting giving me enough to survive and accumulating crisps, canned goods, MREs, jerky and so on, as well as an overabundance of water because I've found five(!) cooking pots that I've used for water every time I've had any stove time spare after cooking.

Life is good. If only the wolves would piss off. I might move out of Milton for some exploration soon.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #1307 on: January 07, 2023, 10:19:42 am »

Hedgewars, which is a free and open source Worms clone written in Free Pascal and is available for free on Steam. Also, Soldat, which is an old, Polish shooter inspired by Liero (also on Steam).
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: February 06, 2023, 04:05:22 pm »

Finished the Dead Space remake, which exceeded my high expectations.  Sometimes a remake by a AAA studio doesn't suck.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 06, 2023, 04:20:00 pm »

Tales of Arise

The nude mods were surprisingly easy to set up, and look amazing.
Story has lots of cutscenes, which I used to hate, but lately I've come to appreciate as a chance to do stuff on my phone.
Combat is dynamic enough to keep things interesting, with most enemies having both elements and attributes which I can actively counter while simultaneously timing dodges.

Definitely happy I purchased this one.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 25, 2023, 08:05:10 pm »

Phantom doctrine. It's like Xcom, but 1980's spies instead of aliens.

I'm really, really confused by it though. The combat system is actually interesting - there's no RNG, you characters have a 100% hitrate but everyone has an "awareness" bar that lets them duck or dodge out of the way and avoid shots (you only take minor graze damage). So you might use "full auto" which uses your whole turn and a boatload of ammo, but drains enemy awareness really fast, or if the enemy is already low on awareness you can use a pistol or sniper weapon to do a headshot and get big damage. There's also a cover system, overwatch, the ability to revive down teammates and carry them off the map, multiple types of grenades etc. There's even an "assault" system where you can have multiple agents rush a room at the same time and simultaneously shoot everyone in it. In addition, almost all the perks and many of the items and modifications for weapons are all based around combat.

So it's heavily combat focused, right? Nope. It's almost 100% stealth focused. If you fire an unsilenced gun, or an enemy spots you (even if you instant-KO them) the whole map goes on alert, the enemies all psychically know exactly where you are and rush your position, and there's infinite reinforcement waves every 4(?) turns.  In other words, despite the interesting combat system, breaking stealth is basically instant mission fail unless you're already done with all your objectives and ready to extract anyway. And even then, you only have a few turns to extract once the map is alerted or your extract is compromised and Bad Things can happen.

But... stealth is honestly not that much fun. It's the same generic video game stealth where enemies patrol set routes forever, you can club a guy on the head and his buddy 3 feet in front of him won't notice, there's absolutely no sound system at all, guards don't think it's suspicious if your guy disguised as an electrician sprints and jumps out a second story window, the last guard patrolling around does not notice the other 30 guards are mysteriously missing, nobody ever turns to look to the side they always stare straight ahead forever, etc.

So I can't figure out how the game is supposed to flow. Combat is penalized so heavily it feels like it was designed for savescumming munchkins but if that's the case, why did they bother adding the combat system?

I don't know. I'll give it some more time and see if it becomes interesting but for now it's kind of a letdown.

Edit: I just had a situation where a guard was staring at a door I needed to get into, so I "snuck" into the room by jumping through the window like 5 feet to his left, sprinting behind him, and clubbing him on the head. Such sneak, much realisms.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 08:14:13 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 26, 2023, 01:13:25 pm »

I had an absolute blast playing Phantom Doctrine, so I'm sad to hear you're not having as much fun as I did.

Its been awhile, but the main thing I remember about combat is that cover and flanking are really important, and you should prioritize equipping medkits. When I had to break stealth I usually tried to set up a defensive zone where I was in cover and they had to come to me. If you play the stealth sections right, you should know where most if not all the enemies are. Its definitely not like XCOM where you want to get in and out as fast as you can.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 27, 2023, 07:33:59 am »

I also had a blast playing Phantom Doctrine, until I started feeling what Toast's feeling. It was a really fun game, with very good atmosphere, but once I began to feel the stealth issues it just felt pointless.
Love, scriver~

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: February 27, 2023, 09:30:37 am »

Trying to find a fucking Vy'keen dagger!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 27, 2023, 12:42:03 pm »

Dragon Quest III
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 27, 2023, 05:28:36 pm »

Trying to find a fucking Vy'keen dagger!

Good news, found the goddamned dagger.

Bad news is that now I have to find the 16 glyphs!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: February 27, 2023, 10:45:08 pm »

Since Kerbal Space Program 2: Space Boogaloo is a festering pit of despair, I've gone back to the original game.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: February 27, 2023, 11:36:04 pm »

Since Kerbal Space Program 2: Space Boogaloo is a festering pit of despair, I've gone back to the original game.

I just came down from a KSP stint and was surprised to see KSP2 on early access. What's the issues, as you experienced them?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: February 28, 2023, 06:16:25 pm »

I had an absolute blast playing Phantom Doctrine, so I'm sad to hear you're not having as much fun as I did.

Now that I've realized some of the mistakes I made, it's starting to grow on me. For example, I mistook the agent for a normal enemy and I thought some normal enemies always did that much damage. Also, I got really bad luck with reinforcements in the beginning and they kept spawning basically right on top of me, but in later missions they spawned far away so it was not quite as bad. I also discovered that if you leave before your escape is compromised, and don't kill any civs there's no heat penalty at all for getting spotted.

I still wish the stealth was less brainless, and I think it's sometimes frustrating that agents get a free move after they spot you to chunk off 80% of your HP, but now that I know what I'm doing I think I like it enough to finish it.

Is it really that bad? Do you think there's hope that it gets fixed or is it just an irredeemable mess?

KSP2 was one of the *very* few games I was really looking forward to, and it was kind of a gut punch seeing the absurdly inflated system requirements and hearing about all the issues it has
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: March 01, 2023, 03:36:51 am »

I just came down from a KSP stint and was surprised to see KSP2 on early access. What's the issues, as you experienced them?

I'm not paying money for that dumpsterfire.

Today, I booted up the Sims 3.  Wow, are things archaic! Tech we take for granted is super expensive. 
Trying to outfit a Dive Bar, I can't justify those hanging wall TVs that line the place.
I did manage to use outdoor furniture to outfit the tables and chairs, so at least I was able to be authentic in that part...
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 100