Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 178865 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2018, 03:06:59 pm »

Finally got around to playing Fallout 4.
Good as an open world FPS
No so good as a Fallout RPG
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 10, 2018, 03:16:56 pm »

But if streaming services get to the point where it's easier to stream a game than to own it....? What does that mean for all the big releases and the PC gaming market? A rise in prices to own PC games directly in order to push people toward a "much more cost effective" subscription based agreement?

I don't see any reason why a streaming service necessarily has to be subscription based and not ownership based. It's like Buying a game on Steam; once you've paid, you can download and play at any time without further payments. Buy a game on a streaming service and be free to stream it at any time without further payment.

Well, that's the route Sony wanted to go. I can only assume it serves as form of DRM. You don't ever own the game, you can't pirate it and you can't resell it. And you pay a subscription for this privelege. To me it seems to align with all the big ticket gripes of the AAA gaming industry, neatly wrapped up in one bundle.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 10, 2018, 07:18:01 pm »

But if streaming services get to the point where it's easier to stream a game than to own it....? What does that mean for all the big releases and the PC gaming market? A rise in prices to own PC games directly in order to push people toward a "much more cost effective" subscription based agreement?

I don't see any reason why a streaming service necessarily has to be subscription based and not ownership based. It's like Buying a game on Steam; once you've paid, you can download and play at any time without further payments. Buy a game on a streaming service and be free to stream it at any time without further payment.

Well, that's the route Sony wanted to go. I can only assume it serves as form of DRM. You don't ever own the game, you can't pirate it and you can't resell it. And you pay a subscription for this privelege. To me it seems to align with all the big ticket gripes of the AAA gaming industry, neatly wrapped up in one bundle.
Last I checked, Sony's streaming service did not require you to purchase games. You just pay a flat monthly fee and get access to their library.

As for why they went with a subscription model, probably because they want to be Netflix for games, and charging a monthly fee means that if a bunch of people sign up just for one game, they still make money.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2018, 02:29:38 am »

In Celebration of Violence. Probably the most fun I've had with an action-roguelite since I don't remember when. Dark soulsy swing-parry-dodge combat plus riskofrainish modifier acquisition and class unlocks plus spells and gods and whatnot work together surprisingly well.
Still have to get any further than the third area, most often due to wasting my Estu surges in the transition dungeons.
Oh boy, this looks sick. Wishlisting. Thanks for pointing it out. :D   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2018, 10:09:31 am »

Although I have followed this "Other Games" sub-forum  for several years, I have only just started to play Dwarf Fortress.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2018, 05:43:14 pm »

Just finished my first playthrough of The Witcher 3. Haven't done much of the DLC stuff yet, got kinda caught up in the main storyline. Also ended up making a number of choices with the knowledge that I was planning on doing another, different run through the game.

Ending left me feeling a bit... Empty. It's eating at me.

Welp, time to start the series from game no. 1 and get a closer relationship to the characters before playthrough 2!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2018, 12:30:22 pm »

Rimworld with tons of mods.
Last time I decided to tackle the ancient danger, and it turned out it was a bunch of cryptosleep caskets and insectoid hives. Very liberal usage of flamethrowers and ridiculously fast Gallimimus mounts saved the day, and only half of the map turned into lifeless ashland. Unfortunately all I got from that was a granny who lost a leg to bugs (I let her go), a teenage girl with no skills, and a fat guy with herpes.

Then I had a massive orc invasion that was stopped by an android exotic goods caravan that I ordered. Four orcs were captured. One of the prisoners had a bionic supercock, so the only logical thing to do was to amputate it and fix my obese friend's spicy weiner problem. One of my colonists was also missing an ear, so she's now walking with mismatched ears.

I used to be a moral manager, a merciful god. Now I pacify misbehaving colonists with lethal force, amputate potentially useful (or bionic) body parts of prisoners, make carbon composite out of human flesh, use orcs as sex-slaves, feed my colonists nothing but onion. I heard the rim changes people, and I knew my turn will come, but I didn't think it would be so sudden.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 13, 2018, 12:47:25 pm »

Rimworld with tons of mods.
Last time I decided to tackle the ancient danger, and it turned out it was a bunch of cryptosleep caskets and insectoid hives. Very liberal usage of flamethrowers and ridiculously fast Gallimimus mounts saved the day, and only half of the map turned into lifeless ashland. Unfortunately all I got from that was a granny who lost a leg to bugs (I let her go), a teenage girl with no skills, and a fat guy with herpes.

Then I had a massive orc invasion that was stopped by an android exotic goods caravan that I ordered. Four orcs were captured. One of the prisoners had a bionic supercock, so the only logical thing to do was to amputate it and fix my obese friend's spicy weiner problem. One of my colonists was also missing an ear, so she's now walking with mismatched ears.

I used to be a moral manager, a merciful god. Now I pacify misbehaving colonists with lethal force, amputate potentially useful (or bionic) body parts of prisoners, make carbon composite out of human flesh, use orcs as sex-slaves, feed my colonists nothing but onion. I heard the rim changes people, and I knew my turn will come, but I didn't think it would be so sudden.

Do you use Rimjobworld mod? I mean, there's a relatively tame mod that adds naughty bits, but it doesn't add sex slaves, AFAIK.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 13, 2018, 02:40:15 pm »

Huh. PTW.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2018, 05:51:09 am »

Did you do that because orcish sex slaves were mentioned?

Anyway, I’ve been wandering the Mojave.

Almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2018, 07:18:09 am »

... did someone summon me? i heard orcish sex slaves.

im currently running through kingdom come again. i took advantage in the beginning and grinded certain skills up with no pressure and unlimited time. and as soon as i could i spent an entire ingame day practicing with captain bernard and have gotten to a reasonably badass level.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2018, 09:00:27 am »

Playing the first Witcher game in order to build up my background and understanding of the setting and characters, and maybe do that save file transfer thingy to boot.

It's just... Well, the series has really come a long way since the first entry. Hoo boy. At least I'm not dumb enough to try and focus on my swordplay for this playthrough...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2018, 11:53:35 am »

Did you do that because orcish sex slaves were mentioned?
Maybe.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2018, 08:23:25 pm »

Finally finished Mega Man X6 and moved on to X7.  Getting a game over during the intro level due to the janky controls and camera was a rude reminder to me on just how bad this game was.  I was looking for something a little relaxing after that last train wreck.  :(

At least I know X8 is better, even if I detest the character design in it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2018, 02:02:13 pm »

At least I know X8 is better, even if I detest the character design in it.

Mega Man in general existed in its own untouchable, indescribable, unapproachable world of sequels and spinoffs until that one Capcom released a while back that broke the series back open to non-players again. History sorta keeps repeating for those games. The first couple of games are classic, and then a few more come out and you kinda wonder where the series went wrong. Then they reboot everything and things are cool for a game or two. Then they're six or eight sequels in and you don't even recognize the games any longer, and they added voice acting or some spinoff happens and how it's an incomprehensible mess. It's like an old college friend that became a really popular fursuiter or something: okay, guy, I'm happy that you're loved by so many people, but I just can't get into this thing you're in to. And I actually LIKE platformers. At this point, I'm honestly sorta surprised they haven't tried getting into the metrovania genre with that series. I might actually play that even with hammy acting and gaudy character design.

As you can probably tell, I am playing nothing right now. Nothing I will admit to playing, at least.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 100