Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 176896 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #255 on: November 14, 2018, 10:27:23 am »

Hitman 2! (The new one, not Silent Assassin)
I shelled out for the Gold Edition, so I had a couple days of early access. It's basically an expansion pack to the 2016 game, but that's all I've ever asked for. Throwing a homing briefcase is hilarious.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 14, 2018, 05:18:07 pm »

I bought a new everything new to fix my pc except the video card and monitors.
So I got a free Call of Duty 4 Black Ops and my first time playing FPS games since Doom 1. 
Wow, no headache from playing FPS games. 

However, I suck at playing.
I have no idea how others can see my crouched flat on a bush by a tree.   
While at the same time, I can't tell if that shooter is behind a rock or window. 

I see them when they are running in broad day light are, but add buildings and plants around them, I can't tell in a quick glance. 

I am blaming my 4 year old video card and an even older 21" monitor. 
Maybe there will be a sale on Black Friday / Cyper Monday, and I can "get gut" playing Blackout. :p

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 14, 2018, 06:09:24 pm »

I'm playing The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, as part of trying to get some more background/backstory for a second Witcher 3 playthrough.

Good grief this game is a contrived mess... I don't think I'm even halfway through yet and I am choking my way through this peculiarly unfun experience.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 15, 2018, 11:02:56 am »

Heh, it plays like a broken spreadsheet.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 15, 2018, 11:03:51 am »

ARK - Extinction
on PS4+.

So far (new character, just unlocked iron smelting) it has been very good.
The easy area is indeed very easy with few dinosaurs and even fewer predators.

My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 15, 2018, 01:04:34 pm »

Streets of Rogue.

You can kill people with banana peels.

Will elaborate later since I’m kinda busy right now.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 15, 2018, 06:57:45 pm »

I've spent the evening playing the latest in the sea of Warhammer (40K) games, Mechanicus.  Take a squad of Adeptus Mechanicus tech priests on a romp through choose-your-own-adventure type scenarios and a bunch of turn based tactical combat (lazy comparison: x-com-like) as you raid their tombs for science and the Omnissiah.

Seems like one of the better ones so far, though we'll see how I feel after more than one evening's play. 

Plenty of customisation options between many item slots (the usual head/arms/legs/etc, plus extra slots for servo arms and the like) and a choice of 6 skill tree paths for each tech-priest (with the option of going deep into one or two, or shallow into lots of them).  At the start of the game you only have 2 tech priests - I just unlocked my 3rd priest on something like my 4th mission.  You can also unlock and bring along non-tech priest troops as support and cannon-fodder, with different types unlocking as you go (so far I have basic Servitors, Skitarii Rangers, and Skitarii Ranger Alphas).

There's a need to balance between raiding every room in the tomb to try and get max gains (though that can backfire and actually do you harm), and, well, not doing that cos it'll wake the Necrons up faster meaning the battles will be harder (as they wake up they get buffs to initiative, movement, reanimation time, numbers etc) and bringing the end of the game closer - there's a doom clock that advances faster if you finish missions with high Necron alert levels.

It's also got a somewhat novel action point system - in this game they're calling it Cognition, and it's a shared pool rather than each unit having its own action points.  The Cognition pool doesn't refill on its own each turn, you have to acquire it through e.g. scanning Necron obelisks, examining their corpses, your Servitor troops being attacked (collecting data from their wounds, heh), and so on.  Not everything requires Cognition - you can do basic movement without it and some of the weaker weapons don't require it, but it does present a number of tough decisions as the fights heat up.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 16, 2018, 07:57:16 am »

Age of Fear 3: The Legend,

the entire series is just a bunch of cool indgy games with heart.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 16, 2018, 10:38:59 am »

I've spent the evening playing the latest in the sea of Warhammer (40K) games, Mechanicus.  Take a squad of Adeptus Mechanicus tech priests on a romp through choose-your-own-adventure type scenarios and a bunch of turn based tactical combat (lazy comparison: x-com-like) as you raid their tombs for science and the Omnissiah.

Seems like one of the better ones so far, though we'll see how I feel after more than one evening's play. 

Plenty of customisation options between many item slots (the usual head/arms/legs/etc, plus extra slots for servo arms and the like) and a choice of 6 skill tree paths for each tech-priest (with the option of going deep into one or two, or shallow into lots of them).  At the start of the game you only have 2 tech priests - I just unlocked my 3rd priest on something like my 4th mission.  You can also unlock and bring along non-tech priest troops as support and cannon-fodder, with different types unlocking as you go (so far I have basic Servitors, Skitarii Rangers, and Skitarii Ranger Alphas).

There's a need to balance between raiding every room in the tomb to try and get max gains (though that can backfire and actually do you harm), and, well, not doing that cos it'll wake the Necrons up faster meaning the battles will be harder (as they wake up they get buffs to initiative, movement, reanimation time, numbers etc) and bringing the end of the game closer - there's a doom clock that advances faster if you finish missions with high Necron alert levels.

It's also got a somewhat novel action point system - in this game they're calling it Cognition, and it's a shared pool rather than each unit having its own action points.  The Cognition pool doesn't refill on its own each turn, you have to acquire it through e.g. scanning Necron obelisks, examining their corpses, your Servitor troops being attacked (collecting data from their wounds, heh), and so on.  Not everything requires Cognition - you can do basic movement without it and some of the weaker weapons don't require it, but it does present a number of tough decisions as the fights heat up.

I've been interested in this game since it came out. But after a slew of mid-grade 40k titles, I've been a little leery of running out and getting it. Sort of like Spacehulk Ascension, it's a vaguely XCOM like but with these games it's never very clear from the start how deep they are. So I'd be interested in hearing more hot takes on it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 16, 2018, 02:50:22 pm »

Streets of Rogue.

You can kill people with banana peels.

Will elaborate later since I’m kinda busy right now.

That reminds me, I wonder if any of the people trying to add to IVAN got anywhere. That was a good game.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 18, 2018, 04:49:06 am »

Still playing WH40K: Mechanicus, about 50% through the campaign, so I figured I'd give an update on how it is so far.

The combat is solid and fun, oftentimes it's almost like a puzzle to solve with lots of "ok, if I spend 1 cognitition to have this guy run over here, that'll pick up 3 cognitition back which is 1 short of what I need for this guy to fire his blaster, but on his turn his scanner will have recharged to get that last cognition and he can kill this damned Destroyer".  Outside of combat there's plenty of flavour from the banter between the npc tech priests (though they're each a bit one-note and cliché in their personalities - here's the religious zealot, there's the scientist) and the pick-your-approach scenarios, although from a gameplay perspective those scenarios are probably the weakest part as there's no way to judge which choice(s) will give a beneficial result (well, you can savescum I suppose).

There's been a little bugginess along the way, though they've also released two patches already one of which purports to fix the worst of the 3 or 4 bugs I've encountered - one bug is just a visual thing of armour values not displaying properly in the between-missions character screens, one is a specific ability doesn't work how it should, and the last has apparently been fixed which caused the game to get 'stuck' when you used AoEs... though only sometimes cos I've only hit it once in about 15 missions (and I was using flamers as soon as they unlocked).

The main criticism - and the Steam forums seem to agree - is that after the first handful of missions it gets a bit too easy as your tech priests get more powerful faster than the enemies do (the high tier abilities in certain skill paths are very powerful).  There's also some specific skills that make things much easier (generally relating to Cognition generation or use) and you can get them early on.  The game is set up so that you can afford to lose a few missions without it being the end of the world (for starters, tech priests can't perma-die and the non-tech priest troops are a renewable resource) but I've only had one mission so far that came close to failure.  Admittedly I've not done any of the boss fights yet, but I'm generally finishing the regular missions with all tech priests at or near full health and the main 'challenge' is just in how efficiently I can win, rather than whether I win at all.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd recommend it to others or not at this point - there's definitely fun to be had with the combat system and the aesthetic, and the price-point is fairly reasonable, but anyone looking for a challenge is going to be deeply disappointed I think.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 18, 2018, 12:13:59 pm »

I haven't started yet but, with the announcement of Just Cause 4, it's probably about time for me to finish JC3.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 18, 2018, 02:38:36 pm »

Y'know, it's bad enough that The Witcher's combat is all sorts of messed up and the gameplay beyond that is also fairly clunky, but why does the writing also have to be bad? I went back to the first one specifically to build a stronger rapport with the characters I'd be interacting with in 3, so why is the writing in 1 so... Bizarre?

It's one thing to make your choices have sometimes far-reaching consequences, that's fine... But it's not fine when those consequences are complete non-sequiturs and don't make any sense. At some points the writing is clearly living in a completely different world from the one you're in, where not only do your dialog choices not accurately represent what's actually said, but the NPC responses don't represent what's meant by them either. And everyone's just so weird that I really don't know if I'm actually getting more in touch with their personalities or not.

So now I not only don't want to play the game and get into fights (why, why did I pick hard difficulty?), I also don't want to interact with anybody because I'm afraid it's going to blindside me with some dumbass result that I don't want to be saddled with, but reverting it would mean going back to a save from several hours ago. And going through those fights again.

So I'm putting it off and watching a complete Halo series LP instead. That way I can direct my ire at dumb gameplay/story design decisions that don't actually affect me personally.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 18, 2018, 02:50:37 pm »

I guess I don't remember it being quite _that_ bad. Not Mass Effect bad where what the dialog option felt like a trap. But I did learn to start quicksaving before every meaningful conversation.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 100