Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 178869 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #375 on: March 11, 2019, 10:15:43 am »

Thanks, as i had no idea what type of damage in x-piratez was the best for those pesky lobstermen i was just throwing all type of grenades :D

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 11, 2019, 06:24:04 pm »

Been going into Star Sector a good deal. I’m not really that experienced, though, so any advice is appreciated. I’ve done the tutorials and the “Easy” missions, in addition to reading a beginner’s Guide on a forum.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 12, 2019, 03:48:19 am »

I rewatched John Wick and I'm desperate for a vidya that captures the feel.  Replaying Splinter Cell Blacklist which actually pulls it off decently if you play aggressively.  Sam uses center axis relock like John Wick does and has some fun hand to hand animations with the killing in motion mechanic.

It's too bad the game fuckin sucks.  It has an early version of the problem every ubisoft game has now.  It gives you too many tools and quantifies too many things and the systems underneath aren't robust enough to support it.  After a few missions you have so many options that the basic gameplay loop has zero challenge and you can blow through anything, just like assassin's creed, far cry, tomb raider, that stupid mad max game, batman arkham whatever, shadow of lord of the rings, that game with the robots for PS4, not all of those are ubisoft but the "ubisoft formula" that started with assassin's creed and far cry has completely taken over triple-A singleplayer games. 

So since they don't have good fundamentals, they're forced to use hacky solutions to maintain some challenge, which mostly means enemies that are immune to your special tools, or creating situations where you can't use your special tools.  It's especially annoying in splinter cell because they set up a score mechanic where you earn points in Ghost (never get spotted, never interact with enemies), panther (kill everybody without getting spotted) and assault (fuck it, just shoot everything), and there's not enough stuff in a level to get a medal in more than one.  But then because they've set it up that way, they can't give you any meaningful restrictions or constraints because they'd ruin the score process.  One mission you're forced to play ghost  for a section, which just makes it harder to get a medal in one of the more fun playstyles.  Later in that same mission you have to fight your way through a squad of commando hitmen with no gadgets, no goggles, and no knife, once again ensuring that your final score is gonna be completely fucked up at the end.

And it's also really circumscribed and linear in a way that ruins the feel of proper commando operator shit.  Patrols are designed so you almost never have to hide bodies or consider the long term, if a body is gonna be spotted it's usually within 30 seconds of taking the guy down.  Missions are divided up into very obvious sections with no overlap between them, so you can go apeshit in one section with bombs and unsuppressed guns and then go to the next section and it's reset to normal.  And even if you play normal, you know that nothing in the previous section will affect this section (like the aforementioned leaving bodies behind) which lessens the appeal of playing ghost since there's no risk of previous activity suddenly alerting the base.  You know when you've hit the transition point and you know when you can expect to see enemies again, so there's no sense of danger in opening that door, because you know there's no enemies in that section.  It feels really artificial and gamey.  But that's in every stealth game now, so it's hardly a specific criticism of this game.

The game fuckin sucks, so why am I still playing it?
Shoes...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 12, 2019, 03:52:49 am »

I think I'm starting to like Oblivion a bit more than Skyrim. Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and the spinoffs all have a certain campy goofiness that's partly game mechanics and graphics limitations, partly regrettable voice-acting, and partly intentional. Now that I have a more complete view of the series, Skyrim feels like it's trying too hard to be taken seriously.

On the other hand, I'm still afraid of ruining or crippling my character despite numerous balance-tweaking mods. From what I've heard, the game level-scales pretty harshly and an ideal character is required to survive endgame levels without lowering the difficulty slider.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:02:27 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 12, 2019, 08:10:28 am »

That's very true in my experience, which was playing unmodded though.  I don't remember what difficulty I played on, but do remember having extreme difficulty at the end of the game because my character was poorly designed and the level scaling is mindnumbingly bad.  In some of the later fights I had to do a ton of saving and loading to win.

Anyway, I was playing Stronghold Crusader again last night after modding the sounds in it to replace all of the hurt sounds with the stock sound effects from shooting guards in Goldeneye 007.  I had a nice giggle from that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 12, 2019, 09:18:53 am »

@Cthulhu

Play Max Payne 3 instead?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 12, 2019, 10:45:05 am »

I don’t recall John Wick ever diving into gunfire, downing bottles of painkillers, or battling with an alcoholism problem.

Max Payne 3 is linear and only really accommodates the “shoot everyone” style of play, and it looks a lot more like a John Woo film than a John Wick one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 12, 2019, 12:14:58 pm »

I don’t recall John wick stealthing his way through half the movies either.

What then? Superhot? Payday 2, a game he's actually in and might accurately reflect the # of dudes shot in a single movie?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:00:49 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 12, 2019, 03:08:56 pm »

I find Metal Gear Solid V captures that John Wick feel incredibly, especially on those subsistence missions where you start with stealth to acquire weapons and snowball into a super aggressive play style. I think a game using MGSV's gameplay loop in an urban setting would literally just be a John Wick game. Maybe removing on site support and extraction? So that the only thing you can count on is the equipment/buddy you bring into the mission beforehand.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 12, 2019, 03:15:14 pm »

His dog comes back to life, wearing an eyepatch, and stabs one of the goons in the neck using a bowie knife it's holding in its mouth. It then backflips to complete the assassination.

Yeah, I can see that being in line with the general John Wick narrative.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 12, 2019, 03:16:22 pm »

super
hot
super
hot
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 12, 2019, 03:29:34 pm »

still bouncing between Kingdom Come Deliverance, X4 Foundations, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey. oh, and i grabbed Let's Go Pikachu for my switch because i havent played a pokemon game since omega ruby from years ago and some pokemon go on my phone which i havent touched in a year.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 12, 2019, 03:32:19 pm »

Why would you do this when you've almost escaped?
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 12, 2019, 03:35:21 pm »

Why would you do this when you've almost escaped?

because.. ya know i don't even know why anymore

the ghost of satoru iwata smiling behind me, nodding
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 14, 2019, 04:02:30 am »

Settlement building finally "clicked" for me in Fallout 4, and now I have a pathological urge to play it on par with when I first discovered Minecraft. It's a shame that there's not enough resources to make every settlement into an awesome doom fortress, and (at least at the stage I'm at) there's very little need to build defensive structures.

I'll be very sad if the next Elder Scrolls doesn't feature a similar freeform building mechanic.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 100