Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 177961 times)

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #420 on: April 04, 2019, 02:23:02 pm »

Me and my friends have recently started playing Generation Zero, and man I have rarely been as torn about a game as I am with this one.

On one hand the combat looks and feels awesome. It doesn't matter if you're distracting a 2 story high mech while your buddies reposition themselves to put some rockets up its backside or if you're just hosing it down with assault rifles while parts of its model fly off in an arc; it just feels right. Enemy AI is quite good and enemies deploy a variety of tactics and weapons. Combat is slightly on the easy side most of the time, but can get quite challenging when you run up against larger groups of mixed robots.

On the other hand are the many, many places where the game just feels unfinished. The inventory is finicky and item stacking sometimes just derps out and stops working. Buildings, loot crates and other assets are sometimes floating half a meter in the air or are inside the terrain. Missions sometimes get stuck and you have to completely restart the game to get them going again.
A lot of small QoL annoyances, like how the game is always set to "open" at start instead of "invite only".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:25:00 pm by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 11, 2019, 06:19:42 am »

I'm playing The Surge, aka "that Soulslike with cyborgs", aka another game I've snatched from /r/patientgamers Discord. So far I like it, but the first boss was rough, design-wise: Just hack at the legs, stay behind it, and when the lower gauge is filled, stay directly under the robot, repeat.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 13, 2019, 12:39:05 pm »

It's been a couple of years i had not played KeeperRL , so after trying the free latest version (alpha 27) i had some trouble to get things going for some time as it had changed a lot.
And then after figuring it out, i started to get my dungeon nicely going and managed to destroy several lesser enemies groups (enough dungeon experience from this to upgrade my dungeon researches several times) and after getting demonology i decided to build some demon shrines to attract demons and see what's coming.

I had no read much about all the units in this version, mostly discovering what's happening and what's new on the fly.
So well i could guess what a succubus likes to do  but still they have rather odd practices :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 13, 2019, 04:19:08 pm »

Even though I've beaten it now, I still can't stop playing Fallout 4.

I might quit soon though. Survival mode makes regular combat awesomely tense and exhilerating, where any wrong move can have devestating consequences. I'm using all sorts of mechanics and strategies that I basically ignored on Normal because they weren't necessary.

OTOH, being ambushed by a pack of legendary Super Mutants when you're just trying to get somewhere isn't very fun, and that sort of thing might ultinately convince me to play this less heavily and go for something else.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 14, 2019, 08:20:02 pm »

Moved on to the Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 and Mega Man 7-10.  Mega Man 7 was a relative breeze up through Dr. Wily since I've played it so much, but that part sucked just as much as I remembered.  I was also surprised to find a couple of moments of BS like from the previous games, where you would die on a screen transition if you just didn't know where to be.

I'm anxious to get to Mega Man 9 and 10 since I've never played them before.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 16, 2019, 09:05:10 pm »

Archives is back to Overwatch, which is very exciting for me since it's my first time experiencing it and there's new lore.

Currently it's the fastest way to grind boxes (you can get 8 per day in about 1.5hrs if you get matches quickly) so I imagine it will get very boring, very quickly as I try in vain to get the various skins which are only available during this event.

EDIT: I was mistaken, Arcade rewards are weekly, not daily. RIP.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:08:39 pm by itisnotlogical »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 17, 2019, 08:37:44 am »

Started playing Banjo-Kazooie sort of for the first time.  I rented it once as a kid but didn't get very far and remembered nothing about it.

First impressions are very positive, especially compared to its distant cousin Donkey Kong 64.  The game looks amazing for an N64 game, the music is great, it's hilarious to listen to and so far it's pretty fun.  I'll never be able to think of Banjo's voice as anything other than a mix of Mickey Mouse and Goofy, and Kazooie sounds like the Tribals from Jet Force Gemini.

The only real problem I've had with it so far is that it has a very bad case of Early 3D Platformer Camera.  It tries to be clever with the camera placement but pretty frequently jams it up against walls where I can't see what I'm doing, and then locks you out of the camera pan controls so you can't fix it.

But there's no Beaver Bother, and that alone makes it better than DK64.

Otherwise, it's probably not really a good idea to compare it to DK64, but it's hard not to since they feel very related.  Both are collect-a-thons, even if Banjo-Kazooie at least doesn't force you to switch characters every 3 minutes.  Both have very similar music since I'm assuming it was the same composer.  Both have you unlock powers as you progress levels.  Both even give you game over screens when you save and quit, which is pretty strange honestly.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 17, 2019, 05:18:29 pm »

You are correct, all of Rare's N64 outings had the same handful of composers. That's why they're all awesome. Perfect Dark is my favorite Rare soundtrack.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 18, 2019, 03:54:38 am »

Perfect Dark is my favorite Rare soundtrack.
Surprisingly few Elvis tracks, all things considered.

Also good lord the multiplayer in that game was a hot mess. Fun/funny, certainly, but a mess.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 18, 2019, 09:00:44 am »

Never played Perfect Dark, but Banjo-Kazooie's soundtrack is infectious and I love it.  The whole game is pretty great.

One thing I'm loving less is Gruntilda's Tower.  I can appreciate that they tried to do an overworld where you're not just walking up to doors to go into levels without any context, but I keep getting turned around and lost.  I actually spent 10 minutes looking for a level I just unlocked only to realize I had to climb up a pipe to get to a hole in the wall that wasn't even visible to the camera at ground level.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 21, 2019, 10:44:41 pm »

I picked up a USB SNES controller at Goodwill the other day. In honor of the occasion, I tried all of the SNES Mega Man X games as well as Mega Man 7.

I still just don't see the appeal of Mega Man past the NES era. Compared to its contemporaries on the SNES and other 90's consoles, it feels stodgy and dated; it lacks the edge of Super Metroid's storytelling and the ridiculous over-the-top action of games like Contra or Metal Slug. It feels like Capcom saying "No, the NES formula still works, we'll just make it prettier and come up with things for the new buttons..."

The Legends series looks like it might be cool, but the only thing I know about the series is that the controls are awful.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 10:58:56 pm by itisnotlogical »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 21, 2019, 11:31:48 pm »

I really enjoyed Mega Man Legends and its sequel, but... yeah, the controls are pretty bad.  The enemy AI is even worse though, and you can usually just lock on and circle strafe everything to death that isn't a boss.  Most bosses go down from that too.

I'm not sure what exactly it was about the series that I liked so much though.  Could just be nostalgia.

And while Mega Man 7 is really not much of an upgrade over 6 from a game mechanics point of view, I'd argue that Mega Man as a whole honestly got pretty stale by Mega Man 3 or 4 anyway.  Mega Man X is a different beast though, and I'd say its gameplay and story are sufficiently different to be worth playing.  I really enjoy the change in gameplay with X, where his increase in mobility from dashing really changes the way you fight bosses and get around levels.  And this may be bias or nostalgia talking, but I really feel like the levels in the X games are better designed with way less cheap BS to kill you like the original series.  The story is a little more serious too.  Like the original series though, it gets pretty stale after a few sequels.

On the subject though, I just got around to playing Mega Man 9 and the rage has returned.  I don't know why, but it feels like the level designers thought that every level needed a massive difficulty spike about halfway through.  All of the levels are pretty short, but have a platforming section that kills you enough to pad out the gameplay.  Plug Man's disappearing block puzzle in particular gave me PTSD.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #432 on: April 22, 2019, 11:18:44 am »

I love the 3D art style of Megaman Legends, I want to learn how to build 3D models just so I can slap textures on them that look just like the ones in Megaman Legends.

I picked up a USB SNES controller at Goodwill the other day. In honor of the occasion, I tried all of the SNES Mega Man X games as well as Mega Man 7.

I still just don't see the appeal of Mega Man past the NES era. Compared to its contemporaries on the SNES and other 90's consoles, it feels stodgy and dated; it lacks the edge of Super Metroid's storytelling and the ridiculous over-the-top action of games like Contra or Metal Slug. It feels like Capcom saying "No, the NES formula still works, we'll just make it prettier and come up with things for the new buttons..."

The Legends series looks like it might be cool, but the only thing I know about the series is that the controls are awful.
I can't stand any of the 2D sidescrolling Megaman games except Megaman X, I think that game is the peak of that formula.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 23, 2019, 01:34:51 pm »

Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic

Absolutely amazing city builder. It's a perfect blend of factorio, tropico, railroad/transport tycoon.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 23, 2019, 06:15:05 pm »

Rise To Ruins. A pretty great village survival sim/production chain/tower defense game. Dude keeps adding stuff to it and reworking content systems even after years of development.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 100