Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 178525 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #480 on: May 19, 2019, 11:53:26 am »

Everquest 2, it kinda has the type of experience i was looking for in an MMORPG. my only gripe would be the Good vs Evil faction system but at least i can be "neutral" in terms of race option and stuff. currently leveling a Half-Elf Trobadour (no rushing, just seeing what quests are avaliable around), first time tackling at the Bard archetype in any game.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 11:58:46 am by xaritscin »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 20, 2019, 03:52:42 pm »

It's kind of surreal when I think about how Everquest and Everquest 2 are still around.  I played the first for probably 6 or 7 years in total, but EQ2 only for maybe 2 years.  It was kind of a shame since it objectively improved on so many things, but I guess by then I'd gotten kind of burnt out.

I'm a little curious what may have changed since I last played.  I tried poking around in it again about 5 years ago with the free to play options, but don't remember much.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 20, 2019, 04:34:33 pm »

It's kind of surreal when I think about how Everquest and Everquest 2 are still around.  I played the first for probably 6 or 7 years in total, but EQ2 only for maybe 2 years.  It was kind of a shame since it objectively improved on so many things, but I guess by then I'd gotten kind of burnt out.

I'm a little curious what may have changed since I last played.  I tried poking around in it again about 5 years ago with the free to play options, but don't remember much.

from what i gather there's the whole TLP servers (Time Locked Progression) where they advance one expansion at a time each year or so. but most of that is avaliable only to Membership players (subscription), they also opened a PvP server but from what i've read it turns out they may have made the same mistake as WoW, making player vs player content a separate thing with its own gear and so on. not really sure how popular is Nagafen server though, seeing that i have a free account and can only access the live servers.

there's also the whole Ascension thing which i dont really understand why was put in the game. having 110 lvls seems enough progression to eat throught so i dont see the point on adding a second layer of class progression. the Alternate Advancement thing on the other hand sounds interesting as it reminds me of the old WoW Talent Trees but a bit more meat(?).

i've barely scratched the surface of that game so im not really sure, but yeah, the population is low in the current servers. the Kaladim one tho, that one seems to be the most popular atm (TLP) but its Membership only.

as for the original Everquest, i dont really know, they just released a new expansion i think. i dont play it but it seems to be slightly more populated than EQ2 so there's that. and also Project 1999 if one wants to try and feel the classic experience.

im gonna just stick to EQ2 Live for now. it looks like the game had the potential to be a big hit but got released at the worst time, i'd even argue it has matured better than WoW in many aspects, just needs to get a proper marketing campaign to reignite interest and perhaps give a 3rd update pass on the models and animations? (i use the alternate 2006 asian versions as the original ones just havent aged well, even the current EQ1 models seem more polished and that's just a reskin, i think).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:42:05 pm by xaritscin »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 01, 2019, 06:21:32 am »

I created a perpetual motion bicycle in KSP (version 1.7.0)
I've linked GIF's of this thing in action just below. They're at 10 FPS, though.
The bike going straight

The bike going sideways

It still needs Electric Charge to keep it upright, hence the reaction wheel, solar panels and battery.

The right solar panels are destroyed in the second GIF; that's just me being incompetent. It's hard to pilot this thing, even with SAS. MechJeb was entirely irrelevant; I was experimenting with a unicycle version of this, and I wanted to use MechJeb to keep it tilted slightly forwards, like a segway. That fell through when MechJeb couldn't keep it in that position. At best, it was flailing wildly around the intended point. At worst, it slammed into the ground, producing a large explosion in place of the unicycle.

If you look closely, it's named "Unicycle", despite being a bicycle. I was too lazy to rename it after adding a second wheel.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 02, 2019, 12:10:02 pm »

Tried playing Crusader Kings II again some more with a friend and it went even worse than last time.  As I remembered, the game went from me looking at the map and wondering what I should be doing, to me pressing a weak claim and wondering why 5000 troops just kicked in my door and dethroned me as king of Italy.

It apparently takes a few hundred hours to figure this game out...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 04, 2019, 05:14:32 pm »

I just recently discovered Baba is You.

This game is nuts. For those unfamiliar, it's a puzzle game where you push words around like blocks to change the properties of the objects in the level. For instance, in most levels, Baba is You, meaning you control baba, the little white sheep... bear... animal... thing, but if you push another word, say... Wall, to take the place of Baba, then... Wall is You. And you now directly control the movement of the walls in the level while Baba sits there without a soul to inhabit its body. Wait, that's kind of horrifying, actually, uhhhh, let's move on.

All of the levels take advantage of these insane mechanics. Sometimes there's a lake of killer lava in your way, but, oops! Now Lava is Push. And you can push the lava the same way you would push a rock around. Sometimes the flag (Flag is Win) is encased in a brick wall and is completely unreachable. But that's okay, because Baba is You, and if you push this word right heeeere, now Baba is Win instead. And you win.

I wish words could do justice to how genius these mechanics are, but suffice it so say I don't typically enjoy puzzle games and I completely adore this one.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 15, 2019, 09:28:01 pm »

RO
SE
     IS     RED
VIO            BL
LET
    IS     UE
FL
AG
     IS     WIN
BA
BA     IS     YOU

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 16, 2019, 04:05:26 am »

Earth 2150, ooof this one hasn't aged well. From being playable on janky resolutions only, low zoom levels, clunky unit controls and pathfinding and sometimes buggy missions it's a tough sell. Still somewhat fun in a spiky kind of way, really makes me wish for a proper remaster like say HW got.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 18, 2019, 04:55:12 am »

Nier automata. I really don't know why i got this god-forsaken junk. I know that mecha's spin attack will be as eternally perplexing for me as assasin's hidden blades. In "how the hell this is even supposed to work" manner.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 18, 2019, 12:33:53 pm »

Mount and Blade: Warband.

I think I’ve done something to it, though - because now there’s the option to enlist in a lord’s army as a soldier, all the training maps are much different, and battles have more options than “Charge”, “Auto-resolve”, and “Run away”.

I think this is all part of a mod that tries to make sieges less unpleasant.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 18, 2019, 02:05:59 pm »

I’ve dig up my old copy of Machines: Wired for War. It’s an old RTS from 1998 (iirc). Gameplay is mostly the basic build base - find resources - research tech- build army BUT you can also take direct control of a single unit and control it FPS style allowing “sneaky” tactics (or ai/weapon range abuse if you will). It also has some killer voice acting.

Mount and Blade: Warband.

I think I’ve done something to it, though - because now there’s the option to enlist in a lord’s army as a soldier, all the training maps are much different, and battles have more options than “Charge”, “Auto-resolve”, and “Run away”.

I think this is all part of a mod that tries to make sieges less unpleasant.

These are the Freelancer and Pre battle orders & deployment mods which are included in most mod packs are both excellent additions imo to the vanilla experience. I don’t want to spoil too much but you’ll get some more options as you raise your tactics skill.

I’m not sure about the training area one.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 18, 2019, 04:14:15 pm »

just fired up another run of Dragon Age Origins.  Oddly enough, never did the Human Noble origin and decided to give it a go

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 18, 2019, 05:52:57 pm »

Earth 2150, ooof this one hasn't aged well.
Maybe not, but at least it's not 2160! Oh boy, the promised land did not deliver on its promise...

Personally, I've reinstalled The Binding of Isaac, with all the trimmings... Working my way through the challenges, generally only winning when some happenstance gives me completely and utterly broken item combinations that render the rest of the game into a cakewalk.

Every run that isn't one of those is just slow, agonizing, painful death.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 19, 2019, 08:28:14 am »

just fired up another run of Dragon Age Origins.  Oddly enough, never did the Human Noble origin and decided to give it a go

Yeah, after playing through once, I rarely did much more than just the origin portion of the game.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 19, 2019, 10:21:22 am »

Bought another 2d mine-and-craft-and-fight game. Realms of Magic had a minuscule discount and I was feeling sorry about the state of my current position in the home buying process so I own it now. Pretty soon, I'll have a complete collection.

But then my wife arrived with various types of EtOH so I haven't actually gotten a chance to play yet.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:49:57 pm by Mephisto »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 100