Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 176866 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #660 on: October 26, 2019, 04:15:21 am »

I think I remember reading an LP of Fallout Tactics here on the forums, it was great fun.
My respect for the GM LP-er has increased greatly if it is actually such a bad game, yet they made it seem so exciting.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 26, 2019, 04:16:40 pm »

The Long Dark just released Episode 3 of their storyline quest mode, Wintermute.

So I've been trying not to freeze to death in the Canadian wilderness while wolves take bites out of my frozen ass.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 26, 2019, 06:17:26 pm »

Carrion put out a demo.
It's actually pretty fun play as some flesh eating sci-fi worm monstrosity!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 27, 2019, 02:40:13 am »

Inspired by recent Noita gaming, I decided to reinstall Magicka 2 and punch out a couple achievements and such that had been sticking around from before.

It's... God, how the mighty have fallen. I deeply miss Magicka 1. How did Paradox even manage to get this much wrong when the winning combination was sitting right there?

And as if that wasn't enough, they nerfed a bunch of the base game staves from their super-high boosts of +200% down to a more reasonable +100% (because of course Magicka is all about being reasonable)... And then slapped together a high-price DLC with new kits that have +200% and little to no downside, so they've even gone pay to win on top of everything else.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 27, 2019, 09:30:24 am »

Get the Xtended mod.

Everything you'll ever need is right there as far as gameplay fixes and quality of life upgrades.

installed and checked, seems better than the other alternatives for now. currently playing the "Beyond the Frontier" starting scenario and saving credits to improve the ship capabilities.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:32:37 am by xaritscin »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 27, 2019, 09:55:12 am »

Get the Xtended mod.

Everything you'll ever need is right there as far as gameplay fixes and quality of life upgrades.

installed and checked, seems better than the other alternatives for now. currently playing the "Beyond the Frontier" starting scenario and saving credits to improve the ship capabilities.

X3 is easily the best entry in terms of overall quality. Enjoy!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 28, 2019, 08:04:02 am »

Magicka 2
Damn, I just... Gah.

I get it. Magicka 1 was most fun if you didn't understand the game that well, and as soon as you got a grasp of basic wards and the steam beam most challenges in the game ceased to be challenges. I understand why that would be considered a bad thing in need of tweaking.

But then Magicka 2 came along and just... Stopped you from doing anything. The enemies are fast and beefy, the areas are small and cramped, and the spells do very little damage... In order to get anywhere, you needed to specialize strongly in one or two elements, then find the most spammable, most efficient combination that you can whip out and then just mash that constantly. And the shields! Instead of having auras like the first game, you need to add multiples of an element in order to actually get any protection from it! You need 3 elements + shield in order to stop taking damage from that element, and at least 2 elements in order to cancel the status effects!

But in trying to make the game more "balanced" by changing shields in this way, they blundered completely... Because 4 elements + shield grants you absorption, so you now treat that element as healing instead of damage.

So, those spammable single-element spells you were already spamming? Now you're just flinging them out willy-nilly because you're healing from it too. Large portions of the game can be dealt with by just giving yourself arcane absorption and then running around while constantly summoning arcane-rocks onto your head.

Now we're back to square one with players being overpowered again, except this is a slow, dull slog of being OP instead of the flashy explosionating of the first game... Time to fix it some more by adding higher difficulties, specifically "BANANAS!" (it's a reference you guys!) difficulty where wizards have half health (so 500 across the board, since there are no longer wizards with different health values), the monsters have extra health and constantly regenerate, and the delay between casting magicks (that's right, can't cast them as fast as you can punch the combos in anymore! Gotta wait! 'Cause waiting is fun!) is increased!

Doing anything on BANANAS!, behind which a number of gameplay-affecting options and even new magicks unlocks are protected, requires even more specialization and spamming of only the most efficient burst combos to chew away at the shocking spell sponges of the enemy horde. There are boss time trials too! And they nerfed some of the base game equipment so that you're now more or less forced to shell out for unbalanced DLC items in order to defeat them within the time limit on the highest difficulty!

And it's a crying shame, because... There are some actually cool ideas here. Having harder challenges for those who've already conquered the main game is a good idea for something like Magicka, where the skill level range is huge. The crystal prism magicks have some real utility and there's a lot of potential with that concept. Weapon enchants got changed, so certain kinds of enchantment will actually "stick" to your weapon instead of getting used up after one swing, and there's a whole world of untapped potential in weapon enchants generally, so this is a great step in the right direction. Ice projectiles got tweaked to fill their own niche and would have been a great addition to the game if that kind of spell had any sort of usage.

But then we look at everything else... Water as an element is useless since collision damage is no longer a thing, and even the disrupting knockback is clamped down (also with the advent of the poison element as a fan-service patch-in, water can only be combined with healing beams. Not arcane). You can't save yourself from falling off a ledge with a quick-reaction teleport cast, because the death layer is set a couple feet down from the edge (if your teleport/magick usage is even off cooldown, that is!). The magicks are sufficiently clamped down in size, power and utility that there's really no reason to use anything except raise dead for a meatshield (especially useful in BANANAS! difficulty because the skellies benefit from the buffed monster stats, but this is balanced out by the fact that they're still considered enemies by the game and will prevent you from transitioning between certain scenes until you've killed your own minions), the prisms for beam crossing shenanigans in solo play, and of course revive.

While being able to customize your robe/weapon/staff loadout is indeed quite nice, it's somewhat ruined by how most objects are just minor stat improvements/alignments, and there aren't many unique or interesting quirks beyond that. But, of course, those stat adjustments are exactly what we're looking for so you can stack as much damage in one or two areas as possible to claw your way past the incessant enemy healthbars! And also the power discrepancy between vanilla and the DLC gear becomes even more blatant when you can compare things side by side. "Lessee... Do I want the base game staff with +100% fire/death/steam that halves cold/ice/healing (the bonus was reduced from its original +200%, penalty was kept the same, still one of the best staffs in the game, requires a tough fight to unlock), or do I want the DLC staff that's +200% earth and cold (no downside, no unlocks required)?". Oh, and of course there's a DLC sword that just one-shots the most common miniboss in the game... But the robes are probably the worst offenders.

And as if that wasn't enough, there are even stat changes that aren't documented at all, like how one of the unlockable weapons provides a 1.5x power modifier for enchantments cast on it, for no discernible reason. Which is kind of a big deal, even if weapon enchants generally aren't used that much in favor of spamming rocks of whatever flavor heals you.

Blah...

EDIT: Oh yes! And how can I forget always-online gameplay? That's always good fun! Even better is the little "private session" checkbox you need to click on every single time you start or continue a game if you want to play singleplayer, otherwise you'll just automatically host a session that some poor misguided fool will be able to join in on. Because it resets every time you go back to the menu, and the default is always to leave it unchecked! Isn't that great?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 28, 2019, 08:08:11 am »

I've been playing Deep Sky Derelicts. It's...pretty good? There's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't feel like it's as great as it should be.

Inspired by recent Noita gaming, I decided to reinstall Magicka 2 and punch out a couple achievements and such that had been sticking around from before.

It's... God, how the mighty have fallen. I deeply miss Magicka 1. How did Paradox even manage to get this much wrong when the winning combination was sitting right there?

And as if that wasn't enough, they nerfed a bunch of the base game staves from their super-high boosts of +200% down to a more reasonable +100% (because of course Magicka is all about being reasonable)... And then slapped together a high-price DLC with new kits that have +200% and little to no downside, so they've even gone pay to win on top of everything else.

Paradox gotta Paradox. Your newer post on it kinda does sound like exactly the way Paradox designs games to be so balanced that nothing you do matters.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 28, 2019, 08:55:07 am »

AC Brotherhood. God, what a ridicolous game. I didn't have such a laugh in a while.
Wolfcultists dungeon. After some jumping about, there is a room with some masked villain dude.
Ezio: Give up and write a confession and i will spare you, vile villain! I know everything you did! (First time i hear avout him, but whatever)
Villain: Never!
Chase ensues, villain runs by more convenient route while dropping conveniently placed grates behind himself, so Ezio is forced to jump by conveniently placed rafters. Sometimes they both go by rafters, one-way ones too. Then Ezio runs into a room with some freak carnival, with jesters and a bunch of identical masked dudes, "find the one you chased". I go WTAF, we are still in some random dungeon, what on earth you are all doing there? Villain is in the other room, of course, and when you go in there chase continues. Then there stand two horses, in a dungeon,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
they grab horses, chase in the long tunnel, with grates closing after villain automatically. After a while tunтel ends, as does chase, vile villain is killed and lo! Room with a door to the treasure and a 1 cm deep puddle with no drain that is constantly filled from two waterfalls! Finish. Only missing thing was fresh tomatoes in treasure chests from previous dungeon. Sadly, wasn't able to explore this all further (damn you, one way rafters!) and check if there is anything that would pass as possible passageway to the surface between buttbuttin's entry and exit points.

Also, do i need to play trough 2\3 of the game for Ezio to commit earth-shaking feat of sidestepping from a wooden platform to huge embrasure? As in, is templar tower over dungeon with super-armor another one of those "troll towers", or did i just miss something obvious?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 11:14:58 am by MCreeper »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 28, 2019, 09:06:21 am »

Ah yes, Brotherhood... A game that could be broken so completely as to be outstanding.

I remember a stealth segment that was a considerably thorn in my side because the failure condition was being spotted by anyone, even if that "anyone" happened to die a fraction of a second later... After some pondering about how to properly time my dash down a long hallway being patrolled by a couple guards, I had a thought...

"Hmm... I wonder if I can..."

And then I whistled for one of my assassin-padawans. Dude explodes out of a side door and stabs the guard in the neck before running off and slaughtering the rest of the mooks in the area.

This apparently didn't count as "being spotted", so I proceeded to just leisurely walk through the rest of the stealth segment.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 28, 2019, 12:40:46 pm »

Star Wars mod for Mount and Blade Warband.

It's quite good.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 28, 2019, 02:20:17 pm »

Doom 2. Consider this your quarterly PSA that Tricks and Traps is not fun, and if you disagree then you need to quit lying to yourself.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 28, 2019, 04:12:08 pm »

I mean, isn't that the first level where you can pick up the BFG?

I'd argue that helps dampen the unpleasantness at least a little bit.

Not enough to make the level fun, sure, but still.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 28, 2019, 07:53:08 pm »

Recently got through the Japanese Fire Emblem game for Gameboy Adv. Starting on 'Fire Emblem' (the blazing blade, I think)

I haven't played much of the newer ones. Awakening wasn't appealing to me. Anyone know about Three Houses?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 29, 2019, 06:39:38 am »

NOW I AM MAD.

After dicking around some more with Magicka 2 and getting more and more fed up with some of the bizarre changes made, I decided to go back to Magicka 1 and just fool around a bit.

Apparently there's been a couple recent patches to the game, after years of zero activity. What do these patches do? Well aside from breaking save compatibility (meaning I have to go through the whole campaign again and recollect all the magicks, again... At least Steam saved my achievements), they've added a smattering of new paid DLCs! New robes taken more or less directly from Wizard Wars! New, uh... HUD skins? The heck? The game doesn't even have a damn HUD, what are you talking about? Why did you add an ingame store for this?

Oh yeah, and it also breaks the everloving fuck out of the game's already tenuous stability, meaning that it crashes to desktop after every level transition now. And judging from the patch notes, has just been left in this unplayable state for over a year now.

Because not only do we need to shit all over the franchise with the spinoff and sequel, we also have to go back and screw up the original as well. God fucking damn it.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 100