Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 178683 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #825 on: December 21, 2019, 07:10:48 am »

After playing through MGS3, I went back and played MGS2, seriously paying attention to it for the first time since... well, the first time I played it.

I hate to say this because it makes me sound like such a pretentious asshole, but MGS2 really benefits from being looked at critically. I was barely a teenager when I first played it; it stands up a lot better after almost a decade of learning how to read stories as more than just entertainment.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 21, 2019, 07:40:36 am »

Kojima's works really work best from the pretentious asshole point of view~
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 21, 2019, 08:05:07 am »

Kojima's works really work best from the pretentious asshole point of view~

If we want games to be treated like art then that means treating them like art, and sometimes that means that games will try to be more than what you literally see on screen and do with the controller. Saying it's "pretentious" any time any creator asks you to think laterally is just a flavor of anti-intellectualism, but one that fits nicely within acceptable, mainstream rational intellectualism where everything can be explained by observable, reproducable cause-and-effect, and if it can't then it's worthless.

Oops. I mean, haha, what was that wacky thing with the AI all about? I'm sure MGS4 will explain it all.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #828 on: December 21, 2019, 01:44:13 pm »

After playing through MGS3, I went back and played MGS2, seriously paying attention to it for the first time since... well, the first time I played it.

I hate to say this because it makes me sound like such a pretentious asshole, but MGS2 really benefits from being looked at critically. I was barely a teenager when I first played it; it stands up a lot better after almost a decade of learning how to read stories as more than just entertainment.
MGS2 is by far the best MGS game when it comes to themes. It's a shame that so many people came away from the game agreeing with the Patriots' idea that people can't be trusted and need to be controlled

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 21, 2019, 02:09:20 pm »

MGS2 is by far the best MGS game when it comes to themes. It's a shame that so many people came away from the game agreeing with the Patriots' idea that people can't be trusted and need to be controlled
Considering you spend most of the game controlling someone, it's understandable.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 21, 2019, 03:46:59 pm »

MGS2 is one of my favorite games ever, but it extremely fun to take the piss at. Especially seeing the themes of MGS4 and 5 begging to be taken seriously while being wrapped around extremely silly plots.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 22, 2019, 08:14:53 pm »

What did i learned today in Wastelands 2 DC ?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:D

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 23, 2019, 04:45:55 pm »

never been a fan of farming games (ironic seeing that i know a few, some NSFW) but decided to give Stardew Valley a try. currently in early Spring on a Wilderness farm, nothing too fancy but im already hooked on the graphics and the gameplay.

it kinda makes me want to try something similar while playing Cataclysm:DDA, but im waiting for the devs and contributor to finish the next stable release to try a woodland farm or something.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 24, 2019, 03:46:23 pm »

I'm playing Disgaea 5, which is...a Disgaea game. If it's your thing, you know that. I'm playing on PC, and it's a fairly good port. It's fine, once you learn what the controls are (I had a problem where I couldn't jump in the non-combat parts, which are ~5% of the game). But the line readings are terrible. I do not believe, and cannot be convinced otherwise, that half of the readings were a second take, or that any of the voice actors had seen the lines prior to reading them. The emphasis is on the wrong part on the sentence more often than not.

never been a fan of farming games (ironic seeing that i know a few, some NSFW) but decided to give Stardew Valley a try. currently in early Spring on a Wilderness farm, nothing too fancy but im already hooked on the graphics and the gameplay.

it kinda makes me want to try something similar while playing Cataclysm:DDA, but im waiting for the devs and contributor to finish the next stable release to try a woodland farm or something.

I picked up Graveyard Keeper from GoG. It's a good time. I'm also not at all a fan of farming games (Harvest Moon is a terrible game, because it's work), but this one clicked with me for whatever reason. It's better for a relaxing game when you realize you can't possibly screw up, but that might be a downside for other people.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 04:01:23 pm by Iduno »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 26, 2019, 02:27:54 pm »

Someone got me Kingdoms: New Lands for Christmas.

Apologies if you actually like this game but.....

Holy shit. It's been a while since I've played a game whose very design fills me with such contempt.

It's a beautiful, artistic looking game with amazing pixel art and good music.

But the design choices in how the game is played feel like a deliberate attempt to waste my time and make the game unfun to play through.

It's a side scroller, where you run back and forth on your horse, ordering stuff to be built, recruiting peasants and assigning them duties and collecting money, always trying to expand your little kingdom outwards. That's basically all of game play.

Which would be thin on its own merits. Where it really pisses me off though is that none of what you can do as a player scales up as your kingdom grows. There's a day / night cycle, which means as your kingdom grows, you start spending more of each day just running back and forth across it.

What you can expand your kingdom out with is random in each game. So it might be fields to grow crops in, rocky outcrops to build an archer platform on or new walls that tell your guys where the edge of your kingdom is.

When the monsters come, they throw themselves at the outer most wall of your kingdom. If you've got archers, they'll stand there and shoot arrows with _random ballistic trajectory_ until either the monsters are dead, they break through, or day comes and they fuck off.

Likewise you can build a catapult that will absolutely waste monsters....WHEN it decides to actually hit them, because it too also has random ballistic trajectory.

Things seem fine for the first few days. But as soon as the monsters ramp up, they quickly smash down your walls. Once they do that, they mob all your soldiers, who make no attempt to flee and can't defend themselves at all. When they touch your guys, they bust them down to peasants, and steal their rather expensive gear and go charging deeper into your kingdom.

The absolute frustration sets in when you realize that, as your kingdom grows, the amount of time it takes your peasants to return to the castle so they can have their duties reassigned just continues to get longer and longer, setting you back that much more. The amount of money it takes to restore them to their assigned jobs means you have to spend that much more time riding back and forth across your kingdom collecting cash.

Meanwhile, in your first play through you will eventually learn (because the game doesn't tell you) that your mission is to find a boat at the extreme edges of the game map, sink a ton of money in to it so your builders will repair it, so they can eventually push it to the very edge of the map so you can sail away to another island and....start the whole process over again.

So rather than the relaxing kingdom building game it present itself as, it's a time trial, basically. Take too many days to find the ship and repair it, and the monsters will overwhelm your ability to maintain, because your guys are so shit and expansion actively makes it harder to recover from a big loss. You get almost no meaningful choices to make, and things that look like they should help like the archer platforms are both random in where they can go, which means you usually expand right past them so they stop being useful, AND they basically can't kill more than 1 or so monsters before they go running past its effective range. The best tool you get for defense, the catapult, you get exactly two of, one pointing each direction on the map. If that gets destroyed, the amount of time it takes to rebuild it and slowly push it back in to position means beyond a certain size of kingdom, the catapult also no longer becomes an effective defense tool once it's been destroyed.

It's like....whoever made this game looked at their AI, looked at the actions a player could take and just went "nah, fuck them." I've never felt a game so deliberately curtail what the player can do in the name of making it difficult. All the tweaks you'd expect a game like this to make to balance out the challenge, K:NL actively chooses not to do. Make the peasants run home faster. Give the player the ability to build things of their own volition where they would be most helpful like the game has some actual strategy. Allow the player to automatically collect some amount of money instead of having to ride around like a glorified tax man (which is 99% of gameplay.) Give the AI better than a 50% chance of actually hitting its targets. Allow players to deconstruct things that are no longer useful where they are. Allow you to relocate the job assignment stations closer to where the action is. The game allows for none of these things.

It's just, once you figure out how to play, a mad scramble to expand as fast as you can, find that boat, get it built and get off the island.

It feels like a complete bait and switch. What looks like it should be a low key kingdom builder on PC is actually a garbage mobile game time waster with several hard coded doom clocks and where all the challenge comes from what it deliberately DOESN'T do rather than what it does do.

I'm glad someone got this for me, because if I'd paid $15 for this fucking game I'd be livid.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 03:14:42 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 26, 2019, 03:09:18 pm »

I take it you never played the free version which is still being hosted, eh? Well then yeah, I can understand getting confused about the difficulty underneath the surface.

And yeah, it's time management. Manage it poorly, things end poorly. The game also opens up considerably once you start getting a grasp of how things work and opening up the other islands. Different mounts with various abilities, experts that allow construction of new buildings like the ballista tower (the REAL most important defensive option, aside from super walls), portals, shrines, so on.

You also learn about how knights work, and with that you get to take the fight to the enemy and smash their spawner. And then you learn that when you smash one spawner, that knight squad moves to the other side of your castle to bolster the defenses there.

Did you encounter winter at all? You kinda need the bank if you're gonna try and survive winter, at least the later winters that last longer. An early investment really pays dividends.

There's an achievement for surviving night #100. I've got that one. Most harrowing part was actually wondering if my computer would shit itself at all the death and arrows.

You know the catapults? Yeah, the trolls eventually get their owner boulder tossers, and they toss bigger boulders. By night 100, I had so many archers piled up that they ate boulders to the face and stopped the rock from rolling further.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 26, 2019, 03:20:00 pm »

I made it to Day 30 something on the tutorial island, on my 3rd attempt at playing the game. Apparently only half of people who own the game on Steam have even made it that far.

I can see where the game expands. I just have zero interest in pursuing it, because it doesn't really change the nature of the game. The randomness and lack of options in a time management game strikes me as trying to dig holes only with the tip of your foot. Sure, you can do it, but it's frustrating and tedious when even a stick would make the job quicker and more enjoyable.

It's learning to be as highly efficient as possible in game that deliberately designed itself to be inefficient. And my brain goes "why would I do that to myself?" That's the part that hacks me off. I can see spots where omissions exist for the sake of difficulty. And maybe if it was in service to an actual building game, I'd put up with it. But it's literally "do the thing as fast as you can, so you can go to the next island and do the thing again as fast as you can." Blech. Absolutely not my kind of game.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 03:40:31 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 26, 2019, 03:23:23 pm »

Someone got me Kingdoms: New Lands for Christmas.

So it's like the old Defend the Castle games except with less clicking (good) and random upgrades (bad)?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 26, 2019, 03:27:28 pm »

Sorta more like random progression? To get to that boat, you have to clear the land between you and it of trees. It's a significant distance. In amongst those trees are building nodes, which once the trees are cleared, you can build up. What those nodes are is random. You might get two fields side by side that essentially take up more than 1 screen worth of realestate. You might get three! "boundary walls" which when built tell the AI where the edge of your kingdom is. They're basically how you expand, because without a wall to fight behind, everything else is indefensible. Hell, you might get three archer platforms equidistantly spaced, which will do you fuck all of good, because again, without a wall to stop the monsters from charging forward, those archer platforms are basically useless.

less clicking (good)

Replace clicking with holding left or right on a joystick for 10, 20, 30 minutes at a time. Often times you're just running around to collect money from hunters who randomly shoot randomly spawned animals with random aim, because at the time you have nothing else to really do. Either that or you're waiting for your mount's stamina to come back so you can be the Kingdom's most Hands-On revenue collector of a king. You even have some jerk off noble who strolls around in front of your keep, who does nothing from what I can see. Put that asshole to work!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 03:46:07 pm by nenjin »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 27, 2019, 09:32:30 am »

I got the Spyro Reignited Trilogy for Christmas, so I tried it out last night for the first time.  I've been eagerly awaiting it ever since it was announced, after playing the Spyro games for the first time about a year ago.

I really like it so far too, though the controls feel a bit off.  I probably just need to get used to it again, but steering while flying feels a bit more stiff, and Spyro feels like he has less forward momentum while jumping in this version.

More annoyingly, the game needed a 8.8 GB update, which was more storage space than my Switch had.  I brushed it off as just patches and ignored the update, but turns out you can only play the first world in the first game without it, so... uninstalled some things last night and let it download overnight.  I'll have to get some expanded storage for the console.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 100