Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 176852 times)

djsys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 01:38:03 pm »

Napoleon Total war

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 02:07:21 pm »

In a past sale on GOG.com I acquired about 15 CRPGs ranging from the Gold Box series to Eye of the Beholder. I've set myself the long goal of finishing all of them but only recently started working through them again, continuing the game I had in "Pool of Radiance".

They're a lot of fun, but old RPGs are very unforgiving and what with all the checking back through the manual for item stats and journel entries it wears me down after a while. "Pool of Radiance" has a battle early on where your party of ~level 3 characters has to fight 2 Ogres and 3-4 trolls. That's not even mentioning the propensity for the game to cause massive brawls to break out whenever you go into a tavern.
I also had a bug occur when I was selling gear where my stack of ~5 jewerly flipped into a massive mound of 65535 jewelry. I reloaded simply because I was unable to carry anything else, especially after trying to convert it all into platinum pieces.

I'm now having a break from Pool of Radiance to play "Eye of the Beholder". It's much more user friendly and the graphics are nicer but there's no auto map so I keep getting lost in these same-wall sewers. I never was that much of a fan of 1st person dungeon crawlers but, eh, I'll live.

@Orb: Ooo, OpenRA seems interesting. I'll have to give it a try.

Oh, I remember Pools of Radiance.  My first group was a much of multi-class.  I remember my rogue/mage is able to read scroll of fireball to win those big fights. 

Around a 10 year gap later, I played with some pure classes fighters, no mluti and it was easy to kill with pure fighters since they get more than 1 attack per turn.

--

Eye of the Beholder and Bard's Tale needs grid paper because some of those walls are illusions and actual passage ways.  Some are even teleporters.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2018, 02:43:30 pm »

Civilization Vi. Previously, Dwarf Fortress.NExt I will be trying to finally finish Witcher 3, and try to reduce my backlog a bit.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 04:05:46 pm »

Thanks to the giveaway I played SUPERHOT.

It is hot indeed.  8)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 10:44:54 pm »

Eye of the Beholder and Bard's Tale needs grid paper because some of those walls are illusions and actual passage ways.  Some are even teleporters.

I remember playing one of those first person dungeon crawlers that had 'silent' teleporters. First time I encountered that... lets just say it was a REALLY long route, following the right-hand rule...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2018, 11:51:32 pm »

I remember playing one of those first person dungeon crawlers that had 'silent' teleporters. First time I encountered that... lets just say it was a REALLY long route, following the right-hand rule...

Oh, forget those teleporters and spinners. "Man, this corridor is really long and has had 4 daggers on the floor so far. Oh wait..."

Seriously though, Pool of Radiance does it better in some ways, varying wall textures for one. Why couldn't Eye of the Beholder do something like that rather than a whole floor of grey stone filled with venomous spiders or Kenku.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2018, 12:00:36 am »

FarCry 4.
AKA: Indo-asian demolition derby
(Jeeze the AI does NOT know how to drive!)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 06:26:59 am »

Horizon: Zero Dawn for the PS4, actually. The GF got interested in the story, and as such I've been trying to hold off on story missions until she's around... But considering she now very rarely even looks at the screen and I end up having to recap events while they're happening to her anyways, I don't think that's really a big concern.

The game is good, but there are a number of irritations... like skills and weapons not giving me the information I want about them until after I've bought and used them for a bit to just figure it out myself.  Also, for a game as centered around precision skill shots as it is, it's remarkably difficult to ever get the opportunity to line up a decent shot using the controller...

You'd think that this would maybe enforce the point of sneaking into a good position and then alpha striking a weakpoint, but then enemies start showing up with armor on their weakpoints that first needs to be shot off before you can pop them with the really damaging effects, but by that point they already know you're there and are thus impossible to hit with all their excited bouncing around.

Basically, the slowmo function isn't nearly slow enough to provide precision shots in combat. Half the time I just turn it on to snipe people because it provides an extra zoom.

And then the game gives you some hilariously unbalanced things like converting enemies to your side, which inexplicably makes them deal three times as much damage as usual and take about 25% normal damage from others.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 03:21:15 pm »

Oh, forget those teleporters and spinners. "Man, this corridor is really long and has had 4 daggers on the floor so far. Oh wait..."

Seriously though, Pool of Radiance does it better in some ways, varying wall textures for one. Why couldn't Eye of the Beholder do something like that rather than a whole floor of grey stone filled with venomous spiders or Kenku.

I remember one where you could throw items forward and they'd continue for a few squares until they landed on their own or hit something. Well-- there was one recurring trap that had a teleportation field with the landing point right behind you. You learned not to use throwing weapons to test for traps or take random potshots in a hurry. (Which made things even more annoying and fiddly...)

In other news: Telltale Games' Tales from the Borderlands, again.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2018, 03:31:29 pm »

Horizon: Zero Dawn for the PS4, actually.

Have you checked out the screenshot mode? That was one of my favorite things about the game. I love pouncing on a giant robo-dino, pausing, moving the camera, changing the time of day, applying some filters, and then taking an amazing screenshot that becomes my desktop wallpaper for a while.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2018, 05:07:30 pm »

In other news: Telltale Games' Tales from the Borderlands, again.

That game was hilarious.  Enhance!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2018, 07:07:07 am »

Spyro The Dragon
I'm not even sure why I'm playing all the Spyro games. This one has been good so far even with some parts being kind of bullshit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2018, 02:35:49 pm »

I only played Spyro for the first time very recently, and I liked it.  There was less BS than I expected, although some of the platforming was kind of painful at times.  The castle had the worst, from what I recall, and some of the gems were surprisingly hard to find due to one particularly nasty jump.

The charge ramps were the worst part.  I don't know if it's just because I was playing with an emulator using a keyboard, but it was very hard to time the button presses correctly.  Most of the time I just ran off of the edge or stopped charging when I jumped.

I recently acquired the second and third games, which I'm hoping will actually work in my PS2.  I'll find out then if having a controller helps (assuming there are charge ramps in those two).
Through pain, I find wisdom.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2018, 07:05:54 am »

I think your talking about the same level I was having trouble with, I don't think it's the emulator your using because I had trouble with that area playing on the PS2.

I had the second and third then just recently acquired the first, and as far as I'm aware there are very few places with the charge ramps in the second one, but I'm not sure about the third as I haven't played all the way thew it in years.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 10:12:06 pm »

Might actually get around to throwing something together with the Bard's Tale Construction Set one of these days. Either of you be interested in giving it a go once I'm done?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:36:19 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 100