Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 179744 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #570 on: August 28, 2019, 01:53:40 am »

Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition.

This game is incredibly dense in terms of content and side-quests, which is both a good and bad thing IMO. It's good because the world feels alive and connected, instead of just a system for dispensing lore and missions. OTOH, there's so much to do that no matter how long I spend in a given area, I always leave suspecting that I missed something, and it drives me insane.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 28, 2019, 04:14:38 am »

This game is incredibly dense in terms of content and side-quests, which is both a good and bad thing IMO. It's good because the world feels alive and connected, instead of just a system for dispensing lore and missions. OTOH, there's so much to do that no matter how long I spend in a given area, I always leave suspecting that I missed something, and it drives me insane.

I usually give up playing about halfway through each time because of that...

Nowadays, I just pull out my printed hardcopy of a novelized version of the script instead. Though edited. I like Ignus, damnit.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 28, 2019, 06:19:47 am »

I usually give up playing about halfway through each time because of that...

Nowadays, I just pull out my printed hardcopy of a novelized version of the script instead. Though edited. I like Ignus, damnit.

No spoilers, please. This is one of relatively few classic RPGs that haven't been spoiled to hell and back for me.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 28, 2019, 09:54:58 am »

Alternating between X-COM classic and Banjo-Tooie.  Currently playing Banjo-Tooie for the most part, which I'm really enjoying.  Just... not as much as the first one.

I'm not going to pretend I'm an amazing game designer, but it just feels like the developers made some design mistakes with this game and it reminds me a little of Donkey Kong 64.  The backtracking is so much worse in this game than the first one, and it has some things that feel just plain unnecessary, like the glowbos.  I'm still not sure why they're in the game, since they only serve to unlock Mumbo and Wumba's abilities, but they're almost always right there with them anyway.

Want Mumbo help?  (A) Yes  (B) No

(A) Yes, want Mumbo help.  Here glowbo.  Found literally behind house.  Not sure why had to go find it.

The only time so far I've found that glowbos had a purpose was in Jolly Roger's Lagoon, where hearing the glowbo's giggle informed me that I was actually close to Wumba's wigwam since I probably wouldn't have found it otherwise.  But that kind of feels like a level design issue, and it wasn't the first time it's happened.  I actually wasted like an hour in Witchyworld not knowing what to do next because I couldn't find Mumbo or Wumba, where I could have gotten to Wumba's wigwam if I rotated the camera in a specific way to realize I could climb a ledge I didn't even know was there.

Then there's the feeling that playing as Mumbo is also kind of a pointless time sink.  All he does is walk to little pads and use an ability on them.  It feels like they should have just had Mumbo waiting there for you and you gave him a glowbo to use his powers at that spot instead of having to hoof it halfway across the continent back to his skull when you find a Mumbo pad you missed earlier.  Wumba's transformations are similarly annoying since I keep having to backtrack to her when I find a spot I missed when previously transformed.  And a minor nitpick, but in the first game you could just leave the level while transformed and if you got far enough away, you transformed back.  In this game, you have to go back to the wigwam to change back to leave a level, so no shortcuts there.

Man, that sounds harsh.  I like this game, it's just not as much fun as the first one.

Was there a thread for ranting about game design?  Seems like I saw one at some point...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 29, 2019, 08:08:38 am »

I'm playing Ark, Ark, and then some more Ark at the moment.

I'm getting to the end-game in my single player world. I have beaten one boss and are collecting artifacts for the others.
But often the bloddy thing is not there when I finally reach the given part of the cave. Is there any tricks or hidden timers, or is it just pure luck? (And if it's just a random spawn/despawn, does anyone have a theory on how often it makes sense to check if it's there?)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 30, 2019, 11:33:28 am »

Received my key for Re:Legend. That's happening tonight.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 01, 2019, 02:39:12 am »

I haven't posted in this thread in a while, but honestly, I'm having a gaming burnout* at the moment, so I alternate between Path of Exile, Rimworld, and Slay the Spire. Everything else feels too overwhelming and complex to me.

*Not depressed or anything, and it's not the first time I have a burnout.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 01, 2019, 05:11:50 am »

Beat Dark Souls Remastered (Solo run, no summons, go me) and decided I should probably finish some of the games I've had installed for a while and moved on without completing.

So it's.....ugh.....Assassin's Creed 3.

Now, I like Assassin's Creed games, vapid open-world sandbox glorified QTE simulator collecta-hells that they are.

But now I am remembering why I stopped playing AC3 after 30 hours and ~40% completion.

It's just so damn boring. Pretty, scenic, but boring. I can get immersed in pretty much any well executed setting, but there's only so much punching cougars and hunting mens in the wilderness that can sustain immersion, volumetric fog banks and Elk Song be damned! I like Last of the Mohicans just as much as the next guy but that can't sustain a whole game. And at least in other city focused AC games the moment to moment navigation kept your attention. Here it's kinda....just keep running in the direction you need. You'll either get there without having to do much or accidentally jump off a 200 foot cliff. One or the other. Hunting isn't refined at all, neither is shooting. Patches of infinitely infinitely respawning wlidlife kinda takes the teeth out of the hunt. Patches of infinitely respawning enemies sometimes adds a few too many.

The combat just feels off. Without seeming to change much, they've changed a lot. You're either just mutliating crowds with single strikes and flashy moves, or you end up hitting one guy 12 times before another six hits as part of a scripted kill animation actually starts. All the extra counter moves just make for confusion coming back to the game, where 3/4 are pointless except against specific enemy types compared to just counter-killing them. Tools are cute but add very little to the overall gameplay, except good ole Smoke Bomb. Who knew that black powder weapons that take an eternity to reload get little to no usage. After another 8 hours or so I've got it down mostly, but those first couple hours back really left a sour taste in my mouth. Again.

Connor just isn't really likable or believable. I kind of dread to hear him speak. A lot of delivery just sounds awkward and stilted.

And whoever thought AC needed a mercantile simulation should be double hidden bladed through their eyeballs. I don't think it matters a whit except as a way to maybe expedite getting some quests done. The money certainly doesn't matter.

The novelty of hunting animals and parkouring around nature was enjoyable for about an hour before I had a sincere longing for right angles and crowds again. Maybe doing more stuff in Boston will make the game feel a little more tolerable.

Once I finish this I can go be a pirate and have some actual fun instead of this bland, tedious game.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 05:29:16 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 02, 2019, 02:31:34 pm »

Pirate's Creed is the best one IMO.

It's also why I won't buy a single thing from Ubisoft ever again as long as I live because they straight-up deleted all my saves and then disabled saving just in time for Unity.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 03, 2019, 06:30:59 am »

I'm having fun with fire emblem 3 houses.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 03, 2019, 06:49:51 am »

Pirate's Creed is the best one IMO

I posted something about this a while back, in the now seemingly-unused "Gaming Pet Peeves" thread, but the subtitles for that game (alongside the fact that the opening felt too similar to the openings of other games - far too slow for me to not decide to play something else) were what really turned me off of AC Black Flag.

"Come on Mate! We're getting off to a bad Start!"

As someone who's got some degree of interest in reading and writing? That really, really bothered me.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 03, 2019, 08:46:00 am »

I just started Darkest Dungeon. I was bothered that I was losing people all of the time, but then I noticed the progress I'm making is in improving the buildings around town and maybe making a few gold. Now I'm happy enough with running in, visiting as much stuff as I can, and running away just before people die or go insane.

Those damn vomiting pigs are annoying, though. Frequently give diseases and drive stress up. I don't have so many people that I can afford to have someone out for 2-3 weeks.

Now, I like Assassin's Creed games, vapid open-world sandbox glorified QTE simulator collecta-hells that they are.

But now I am remembering why I stopped playing AC3 after 30 hours and ~40% completion.

It's just so damn boring. Pretty, scenic, but boring.

I think that's been the review of all of the Assassin's Creed games since the first one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 03, 2019, 09:55:27 am »

Not to me. The cities feel alive, the architecture is interesting, provides interesting gameplay opportunities, people are wearing cool period gear.....

AC3 is "everyone is in shitty wood houses they built less than a decade ago and no more than 2 stories tall" or "forest." Going from exploring the great cities of Italy or Constantinople to the colonies is like going from a cathedral to a parish church.

I was bothered that I was losing people all of the time, but then I noticed the progress I'm making is in improving the buildings around town and maybe making a few gold. Now I'm happy enough with running in, visiting as much stuff as I can, and running away just before people die or go insane.

Just wait until you start actually investing in your heroes. Losing one that you've sunk $20k in upgrades in to sucks.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 03, 2019, 05:59:36 pm »

More dust. More ashes. More disappointment.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 09, 2019, 11:31:05 pm »

Finally beat Assassin's Creed 3, at 79 hours.

I looked up the other games in the series. Good lord, between all the different games and platforms, they've made 22 Assassin's Creed titles. If you subtract out just the mobile games, it's like 16. I don't think even Call of Duty has that many titles behind it.

After all that bitching, I do want to play Black Flag. For just two reasons: pirates and morbid curiosity to see how the series pivoted after this mess. (Other than spawning a legion of spin offs.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:48:04 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 100