Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 179754 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #750 on: November 26, 2019, 09:48:39 pm »

I've restarted Champions of Krynn again, in my foolhardy quest to play the entire Krynn trilogy.

My party, based on the example party from the manual, was getting its ass kicked. I deleted my saves and resolved to make the most overpowered party I could imagine, starting with a thorough reading of the manual and rules that I'd just glanced over.

It turns out that the sample I'd based my party on is actually the second of two examples. The other sample party is way better; I can cast more spells, hit more attacks and generally fare a lot better in combat. Maybe I can beat Champions again, and finally play Death Knights without smashing my head into the wall.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 27, 2019, 05:46:41 am »

Disco Elysium. Gods, this game is fantastic.   
I have no idea how much longer it goes for, but I'm already getting that feeling of sadness one experiences upon finishing a really, really good book.
The soundtrack probably helps with this. It's pretty great.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 28, 2019, 08:07:38 am »

After a long time not having played Fallout 1, i started with a low intelligence character and ran into Junkyard town.
In the Skulz hideout i "talked" to everyone that mostly told me to get lost until i met Victor one of the named gang member.

I didn't knew about this as i usually never played the game with such character.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wonder if the game can be completed with that kind of character, it sure is fun so far.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 28, 2019, 10:53:50 am »

After a long time not having played Fallout 1, i started with a low intelligence character and ran into Junkyard town.
In the Skulz hideout i "talked" to everyone that mostly told me to get lost until i met Victor one of the named gang member.

I didn't knew about this as i usually never played the game with such character.

I wonder if the game can be completed with that kind of character, it sure is fun so far.

I assume so. It's also a great playthrough for Arcanum (up until the last 10% where they probably ran out of time to write more content just for the dumb character).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 28, 2019, 12:32:21 pm »

Fallout 1

Doggie is me good friend, travelled and helped kill many scorpims dead.
In village Tandi not here, Tandi father tell me to go Tandi.
Found Tandi in raiders big house not too far from village, her not happy being there i don't know why.
Tell doggie to wait out , me no want friend doggie hurt when going to hurt raiders soon.
Me go kill every baddies in raider big house, dynamite big boom helped when dropped in big room with raiders
Good hunting rifle found here helps me kill all baddies outside too, good hunting rifle, good new friend.

Me now go talk Tandi in cell

Me not sure, me head hurt too much thinking.
Must go ask doggie for advice.
:D

more seriously, about Tandi it's nice that
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 01:07:38 pm by Robsoie »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 28, 2019, 05:37:11 pm »

Dogmeat is awesome, except for the fact that he somehow always ends up in the line of fire. I took him to rescue Tandi and ended up accidentally killing him about ten times before I just gave up on him.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 28, 2019, 06:30:16 pm »

Fortunately on early game it's not that hard to keep the dog alive as most enemies will prioritize you (unless they only saw dogmeat first) and weaponry isn't anything to worry much about.
But once you get to some enemy that pack a more nasty punch, that is starting to become much more difficult to not having to save/reload :D in order to keep the usefull murder machine doggie alive.

But anyways, in Fallout you have the classic "war never changes" , but as my dumb character proved once he managed to use his science skill on a working computer when he went back to the Vault :
:D

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 28, 2019, 08:54:38 pm »

Last time I played Fallout 1, Dogmeat was killed by the Brotherhood of Steel paladin with a minigun. It was still friendly fire; the BoS were on our side. Farewell Dogmeat, I'll always miss you even if nobody else does - cone of fire and luck rolls be damned.

Spoiler: Canonically (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 29, 2019, 12:03:30 am »

If I recall, in Mariposa there are a bunch of security screens that deal damage. Very, very easy for dogmeat to kill itself on one of them if they survive that long, hence the shoutout.

(I think there was another joking fate of dogmeat getting killed by friendly fire from Ian?)

As to the topic at hand... I picked up Inquisitor: Martyr after some input from Nenjin on these forums, and am finding it interesting-but-flawed as advertised. That said, the pseudo-cover system, slower pace, and more focused choices in skills really gel. Tried playing some Grim Dawn afterwards and found it comparatively bland.

The expansion DLC adds a pet class, the tech adept, that while interesting is also a) rather overpowered but b) not really engaging enough. Classes in the game generally get up to 6 skills - 4 from their equipped weapon(s), 1 from their belt (which has a set number of charges, with periodic supply caches on a map), and 1 from their armor.

Generally, that's pretty engaging - weapon choice is a heck of a lot more meaningful than most ARPGs, as the majority of one's skills are actually from the weapon (with differing classes having different sets available). The belt slot seems to have the same options across all classes, generally serving shoring up a weakspot or providing an 'oh crud' button, and the armor slot is class-unique.

For the tech adept, though, their weapons (of which they have a much more restricted set than other classes for some reason) only have 1-2 skills out of 4 - the other two are slots for their pets. Similarly, the belt and armor slots can also be pet slots instead (and the other armor skills are not very interesting, being a heal and a shield). So of your 6 skills you can have up to 5 be summon slots or a max of 3 be combat skills.

Thus, you can end up playing an ARPG where your mass of pets is doing pretty much all the fighting, with you kind of like the commissar on the top of the tank.

They did an excellent job with the pets, at least, as you can freely pick between about 6 of them, each have different weapon choices and equipment slots (and drops, of course), etc. And they really do a great job at slaughtering the hordes of foes. You the player just kind of end up a bit superfluous, hah. Playing as the space marine is more engaging.

On another note, I found myself being quite grateful they just dumped the whole 'open world' thing that's been so popular since Diablo 2 in ARPGs and instead stuck to a hub and individual combat maps. The genre is kind of going that direction already, I think, and doing it here both makes sense thematically and works well functionally.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 29, 2019, 08:59:20 am »

After having advanced well in Fallout 1 (despite the years i still remembered where to go and what to do so i guess it lowered a lot the play time) :

The good thing with a Fallout 1 run with low intelligence is that dialogues can be sometime funny, more funny with the npc that have voices (as they have better dialogues) than the regular npc that end mostly with "oh you're a moron, go away".

But the bad thing about such run is that you're going to miss nearly all of the side quests because nearly every npc will stop talking to you once they see you're  stupid, so they don't give anything to do, they don't launch side stories.

Basically there's no alternate quests for such character , no variation of an event etc... , there's just quests/npc/allies that will not happen/talk/join, in summary  playing a low intelligence character isn't an alternative way to replay the game but more of a "challenge" game but with some more funny dialogues.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 29, 2019, 11:38:20 am »

I mean, there's always mentats, but yes.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 29, 2019, 11:45:51 am »

The mentats unfortunately defeat the purpose of playing low int characters, but if you don't want to miss so much of the actual game content, they're the only way at least in Fallout 1 , i have yet to play a low int character in Fallout 2 to see if it's better there for such type of character.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 29, 2019, 01:22:46 pm »

As to the topic at hand... I picked up Inquisitor: Martyr after some input from Nenjin on these forums, and am finding it interesting-but-flawed as advertised. That said, the pseudo-cover system, slower pace, and more focused choices in skills really gel. Tried playing some Grim Dawn afterwards and found it comparatively bland.

That description kind of reminds me of Victor Vran, if you haven't looked at that before.

As I recall, and it's been a while, ability customization goes as far as having two weapons, both with two attack modes, a charged equippable special, armor (that mostly deals with how your special charges), and some modifiers, like +dam/-life, +drops, etc.

It's much more gameplay focused than loot grind, and there's no open world to speak of; it's basically a set of mission-driven maps, and post-storyline replays of the maps have objectives like "Kill 50 units in 20 seconds with the lightning gun without taking damage."
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 29, 2019, 03:27:44 pm »

Glad you're enjoying Martyr. I never can quite predict how people are going to react to the game. Despite its flaws I enjoy it. Really I think the game's only problem is that its just a bit too repetitive and there's too much of the game built off the same, re-used foundation. The Tech Adept class sounds like it was done pretty well though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 29, 2019, 05:42:41 pm »

My main issues with Martyr are the bad class/weapon balancing and that after a point I didn't feel like I was accomplishing anything (at least, anything interesting) progression-wise.  But until that point I enjoyed it quite a bit, and there's still some fun to be had to just dip in to nuke stuff now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 100