Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 181070 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #945 on: March 21, 2020, 04:00:40 am »

I'm playing Ultima VII. I haven't beaten IV and I've never played any of the other ones, but I'm curious (and also it's on GOG for a buck fifty)

Reading the manual, it's amusing to see that Lord British really is an incompetent idiot, as the meme goes.

"Hey Lord British, we shouldn't really need your permission, but can we form the Fellowship?"
"No"
"Pleeeeeease here's some money!"
"No"
"Pretty please"
"ugh fine"
"Okay, so we're--"
"I DON'T WANT TO KNOW JUST GO DO IT"

For all LB knows, the Fellowship could have been a plot to burn down Trinsic or build nuclear bombs or something. Despite the thou's and goofy ink drawings, this seems like the beginning of a Spongebob episode.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 21, 2020, 08:52:36 am »

Ultima 4 is still free forever on gog.

the combats were incredibly simplified in comparison to most other rpg of the era but at least they're not lasting too long considering their lack of battle options (at least until you get companions that adds at least some placement fun).

My best memory was walking along the coast and seeing a pirate ship coming to attack, waiting and once the ship came close, went in and killed the lonely pirate ... and i was then the proud owner of a ship i could board to navigate around while hopeless land monsters were hopelessly moving around trying to get to me :D

the thing i really disliked was the dialogue system, as the game only know a very limited amount of word, so out of "job", "name", "look", and sometime a word coming from a reply an npc does (by example asking a lord about his job, he tells that he rules the province, so you can ask "province"), the npc will reply with tons of "can"t help thee" type of answer.

I wish they would have done the same as they did on the NES or Master System ports (the sega master system version had the best visuals) for the dialogues in which you select the words instead of playing the "hey game do you know that word ? no ? let's try this one ... still no ?  and that one ? still no ? *sigh* "

That said, it's also worthwhile to try to play the nes/sega (the master system one is very recommended) version of Ultima 4 on some emulator, that version benefit from several "quality of life" improvements (and oddly replaced all those default "thou", "thee", "thy" ancient english text by their "you" "your" modern version ) .
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:58:19 am by Robsoie »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 21, 2020, 10:13:25 am »

The thing that keeps me from really trying hard to beat IV is actually the combat. It's incredibly tedious and annoying, especially when an enemy is trying to escape and can't find the exit. Just pace back and forth, waiting for that last fleeing orc to get to the map edge...

I actually rather like the graphics in DOS Ultima IV. The little dancing stick figures are cute, and the limited detail on top of a black background speaks to me in a way that the not-quite-Final Fantasy aesthetic of the console ports doesn't.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 10:15:55 am by itisnotlogical »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 21, 2020, 11:21:25 pm »

That Circadian Dice game on itch.io is incredibly addictive.
Spent much more time than i thought i would with this very nice game, it really surprised me by the depth the further you progress.

Gameplay is rather fast as scenarios aren't too long so you don't have time to get bored.

There's a lots of unlock coming regularly with more classes (that comes with their own dices and abilities) , new scenarios, new items, special stuff happening (just got a mutation possibility for monsters) that relaunch the interest everytime and open new tactics.

Very good gameplay mechanics too with dices, the captures etc... , and interesting choices when you level up in a scenario as it will influence your strategy further (need more money to buy different dices ? need more XP to reach the next level and get more bonus ? need more gems to use the special abilities ?) in a good or bad way depending on what you're going to face and your current situation.

the replay value is rather high and it has lot of content already, looks like the dev continue to develop it as a new version just came today.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 22, 2020, 01:32:49 pm »

Just got back into playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and almost quit again after spending a large amount of time wandering through the sewers for an eternity. Some of the puzzles involved were actually kind of interesting, but getting stuck in places I couldn't get out of and resetting a ton of progress, or trying to find the way forward when all the pipes look the same was not. I'm hoping now that I've found the sewer vampires I don't have to ever do that again and I can sidestep all that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 23, 2020, 07:10:57 am »

I tricked KOTOR, a game that is almost old enough to vote, into working on my computer. I started a write-up, but my screenshots are just black screens.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 24, 2020, 04:54:28 am »

That tears it, I am officially addicted to Ultima 7 and won't be able to play anything else until I finish it. I see it when I close my eyes, and I'm probably ruining my back hunching over the screen. It's rare that I get THIS addicted to a game, and I guess it couldn't have come at a better time.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 24, 2020, 10:17:13 am »

Just got back into playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and almost quit again after spending a large amount of time wandering through the sewers for an eternity. Some of the puzzles involved were actually kind of interesting, but getting stuck in places I couldn't get out of and resetting a ton of progress, or trying to find the way forward when all the pipes look the same was not. I'm hoping now that I've found the sewer vampires I don't have to ever do that again and I can sidestep all that.

I think you can do everything you need there in one shot.

Also almost certain you unlock a short cut to get back there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 24, 2020, 10:38:06 am »

That's good to hear. The game's a lot of fun, but dialogue free wanderings through early 2000's graphics is not the game's strong suit.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 24, 2020, 01:03:13 pm »

KOTOR 1: I hate Pazaak edition. I'm kidding, everyone hates pazaak always. Even when you're enjoying it, it's because you're you're finally overcoming the bastard game's RNG.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 24, 2020, 02:37:44 pm »

X3: Terran Conflict.

With no internet, single player games of yore are getting plenty of attention.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 24, 2020, 03:28:46 pm »

Dominions 5, Rimworld, and Stellaris - though I'm trying to hold off on the latter for another week or two for any early post-Federation patches.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 24, 2020, 03:37:34 pm »

X3: Terran Conflict.

With no internet, single player games of yore are getting plenty of attention.

Yeah, until I run out and have to plug my movie drive in.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 24, 2020, 03:41:01 pm »

Dominions 5 and Rise To Ruins for me. Something chillaxing.

That's good to hear. The game's a lot of fun, but dialogue free wanderings through early 2000's graphics is not the game's strong suit.

The sewer section in VtM:BL is notorious for how awful most people found it. It is the one complete stinker in an otherwise solid game. Depending on your build its not that hard. If you're a gun guy, you'll run out of ammo. If you're a melee guy, you'll need to regen health at some point. If you use disciplines for heavy lifting you'll quickly find there are more guys than you have blood to deal with. Basically, if you didn't know about it ahead of time and stocked up on blood packs and ammo, it will be a rough time.

That said I think you can sprint through the vast majority of it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 24, 2020, 05:05:01 pm »

Finally managed to beat the "Noxious marsh" scenario (that unlocked another item), and that only with the elementalist class.

Lost so many attempts before with all the classes on this one, this scenario is just insane, the amount of enemy with disease effect (that cumulate and spread at every rolls, with more diseased dice removing even more health each turn) and none have only 1 attack power it seemed like a miracle i managed to beat this one.
Lots of luck was involved too.

And there are 3 harder scenario still waiting for me to unlock more stuff, this game is going to drive me crazy :D

[spoiler]
Circadian Dice

[spoiler]
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 100